2015 Acceleration Issues?

gma6

Aug 16, 2015
New York
I don't know much about cars, so forgive me if this seems like a simple question, but for some reason, my 2015 V6 Mustang doesn't accelerate the way it used to when I first bought in June 2015. This started after getting my first oil change (covered by Ford for free). Ever since, my car has felt sluggish when accelerating. You can hear the engine working hard, but the car doesn't move any faster. I've also noticed that the RPMs don't increase easily--I have to press the accelerator much harder to increase the RPM (and even then it's not much faster), unlike before, when I could step on it normally and the RPM would go up and increase my speed. Furthermore, the car feels very very heavy.

I took it back to the Ford dealership to get it fixed. I explained that my Mustang drove differently after their oil change. They checked and said nothing was wrong with it. They gave the car back to me after performing a "test drive." On my way home, I noticed that the car felt VERY different and light. The acceleration was fine again and I honestly have no clue what they could've done in 15 minutes to fix it. When I asked, they simply told me nothing was wrong with my car and it drove normally. I really wish I knew what they did to it because it felt like a completely different car. 2 weeks after they fixed it, we had a huge storm here on Long Island and trees were knocked out left and right, and branches were all over the street. My Mustang started having the same acceleration problems again and it's sometimes sluggish and sometimes it's bearable and not as bad. Still, I'd like to get it fixed.

I'm planning to take my car to a shop again to figure out the issue. I'm not sure if it's a timing belt issue or fuel filter that needs to be fixed, but my car is very new, and it's unlikely that it would have problems so early on. Any help would REALLY REALLY be appreciated. This was my dream car, and now it doesn't even drive the way it should. Thank so much for taking the time to help. It means the world to me.

• Sponsors (?)

On the days it accelerates sluggishly, are these after times where you recently drove the car for a decent length of time? I only say because hot air + hot engine = very hot intake after sitting for a little while. Like say, you drove it for 15 minutes, stopped somewhere for 15 minutes with engine off, then upon driving again it would be slower than before. These N/A cars are very much affected by the intake air temp. My 2005 v6 felt like it lost half it's power in the worst of these scenarios.

Also, do the V6 models come with the track apps now? You could help show us how much of an impact it's having by posting 0-30 or 0-60 times if it's possible. Some when it's running normally, then some when it's not.

It's so hard showing off a Mustang GT in Florida, lol! Drive somewhere, engines nice and hot, park it, and 10 minutes later someone wants to go for a ride in it. Bah! Then the intake is reading like 120+ driving around, haha.

On the days it accelerates sluggishly, are these after times where you recently drove the car for a decent length of time? I only say because hot air + hot engine = very hot intake after sitting for a little while. Like say, you drove it for 15 minutes, stopped somewhere for 15 minutes with engine off, then upon driving again it would be slower than before. These N/A cars are very much affected by the intake air temp. My 2005 v6 felt like it lost half it's power in the worst of these scenarios.

Also, do the V6 models come with the track apps now? You could help show us how much of an impact it's having by posting 0-30 or 0-60 times if it's possible. Some when it's running normally, then some when it's not.

It's so hard showing off a Mustang GT in Florida, lol! Drive somewhere, engines nice and hot, park it, and 10 minutes later someone wants to go for a ride in it. Bah! Then the intake is reading like 120+ driving around, haha.

Thank so much for the help! Yeah, I can't really tell what's causing the slow acceleration--I'm more stuck wondering what the mechanic did to my car to fix it that one time. The 0-60 time sounds like a great idea. I only drove my car twice today and so far it has been running fine, so I didn't get 0-60 times for when it runs poorly. It seems to vary by week. I'll have a week or two when it runs very slowly and then all of a sudden, one day it'll switch from sluggish to normal, but I can never figure what's actually wrong with the car.