ximportdriver

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Rancho Cordova
@FordCustSrvc

Long story short, the dealership is unwilling to address these issues properly or at all:
  • 2 paint chips, 1 surface scratch, and 1 gouge in the clear coat
  • 1 hairline crack in the driver window
  • dash rattles
These issues are on a brand new 2017 Mustang GT Premium that currently has 550 miles on the odometer; when I took delivery, it had 25 miles on the clock.

When you, Ford, gave me my 2013 Mustang GT for the Mustang Customizer contest back in 2012, you wouldn't let me take it home until a paint chip in the driver side handle was fixed—not masked with paint—but truly fixed so that the handle was smooth, clean, and, in your own words, "perfect". That's an interesting word and a more interesting expectation to set: I should have a perfect car upon delivery.

Fast forward to now, and I am the one footing the bill for this 2017 Mustang GT, but in stark contrast to before, I do not get a perfect car. How is that acceptable?

If you are interested in the details, please read on. I won't spare you any.

I have this beautiful Lightning Blue 2017 Mustang GT Premium.

Bought it from Future Ford of Sacramento on 4/20/17—at 10pm at night. Mea culpa for purchasing a vehicle at night.

I was concerned that I wasn't able to see the true condition of the car due to it being all dark outside, but the salesman and the finance manager both assured me to report any issues to them and they would take care of it.

The next morning, I find a paint chip in the front passenger fender on the edge of the wheel well. I report it, and they set up a due bill.

I detail the car 1 day later, and I find a small paint chip on the front driver fender, a scratch just below the gas cap on the rear left panel, and a gouge in the clear coat on the left of the rear bumper. I later spoke with my salesman, and he said that they would take care of it all.

Last week, when I detailed the car a second time, I found a 1 inch hairline crack in the driver side window. I decided to report it when I went in for my due bill.

I set up an appointment with the customer relations team to have the due bill resolved, and the lady tells me it will only take 2 hours. I thought that this information was wrong. I've had paint chips resolved before, and it took over 6 business days. I didn't protest or argue about it; I went along with it and showed up to my appointment. I waited around not for 2 hours but for 5.5 hours. When they brought the car around, they hadn't fixed the paint chips—they masked them with blue paint but the chips were still there. The scratch by the gas cap was still there. The gouge in the clear coat was filled but the scratch beneath the clear coat was still there. My service rep tells me that I could look at the paint repair in sunlight and call back within a day with any concerns.

I had also reported the window crack, and the service rep told me she would look into it. She said that her guys told her it can't be buffed out, and it is accidental damage.

So, I didn't get the paint repaired like I thought, and now I am being told that this glass crack is something I am going to have to pay to fix. At this point, I am growing really frustrated and dissatisfied.

As a result, I leave to go to work late, since the repair took more than twice as long as I was told it would take. After work, I call my salesman. He expresses disappointment that I didn't call him while I was there. He said that he would call me 4 days later after the weekend. He did, and he asked me to come down to the dealership today so that he can have his manager look at it.

I made the trip after work, all 45 miles. When i arrived, he met with me, reviewed my concerns, and I asked him about a new one—a dash rattle. He said that his own 2017 Mustang doesn't have a rattle sound from the dash. But he made no offer to address it. I had reported it during service last week, but I digress.

He kindly introduced me to his manager. This man proceeded to tell me that the chips and scratches in the paint and in the glass were not that bad and that they were barely noticeable. He also told me that he would not replace the glass but that it could not be fixed either. And he said that they would not paint the whole car, and then he said that, if it were him, he wouldn't want the spots re-painted.

So, I became speechless with disappointment. Why is this manager downplaying my concerns and trying to sweep them under the rug rather than offering to address them properly?

He went to go check and see if he could at least fill in the paint chips and smooth it out, and when he came back he said that he can't do anything at this point but he needs to refer me back to the service department.

The next step for me is to work with my service rep tomorrow to begin figuring this out, but it looks like at most they are only willing to fill in the paint chips. I have to wait for them to call me to set up an appointment.

I feel like I am getting taken advantage of, screwed over, and hosed.

I hope Ford and Future Ford of Sacramento make this situation right—without me having to tell them how to do their jobs.

BTW I took delivery of my Mustang Customizer Winner 2013 Mustang GT at Future Ford of Roseville, which is owned by the same person as Future Ford of Sacramento if I understand it right. Not sure if the Sacramento branch operates under the same guidelines as the Roseville one, but Roseville handled the paint chip impeccably with my 2013, so I don't think it is unreasonable for Sacramento to follow suit and properly address my paint chips, paint scratches, glass scratch, and dash rattle.

• Sponsors (?)

I feel your pain. It seems this is just the way things work now. Customer satisfaction and taking pride in your job just seem to be things of the past. I'm not sure when or why things changed this way but it seems to be a common story. Whether it is a dealership, hardware store, furniture sales, electronics sales, I seem to have similar experiences with these places as you did with this dealership.

The most recent dealership issue I had was taking one of the cars in for a recall issue. I had just washed and waxed the car a few days before this so when they called and said do you want the car washed I said absolutely not. They seemed confused by my answer and I think it was because most people don't say no, and because of this they already did it. When we got the car back, it was "washed" but washsed in the way that the washbay guy takes the dirty mitt and takes three big circular motions down each side of the car missing 70% of it, same with back and front, then gives it a quick rinse and says done. Then sticks it outside to bake on the water spots which was even better being a black car. So all my time washing and waxing it properly down the drain even after I said not to wash it.

The thing that got me was could no one see that the car was spotless? And if you were going to wash it, why the hell not do it properly so it is actually clean? Had they done that I wouldn't have even noticed and it wouldn't have been an issue. I guess that is that taking pride in your job thing that doesn't happen anymore. Funny thing is, I used to work in a washbay at a major dealership for minimum wage but I would never wash a car this poorly because it reflects negatively on me. Then the kicker, they couldn't even be bothered to close the hood. Between those two things, I had lost all faith that the repair was even done right.

The only way to combat this after the company makes it clear that they don't care and take the strategy to just keep refer you to other departments hoping you get so pissed you just say screw it and admit defeat, is to take to all of the online review resources and Better Business Bureau type things and make detailed reviews and break downs of the problems. It is usually even better if you have names and dates to back the story. Often they will end up getting back to you and try to make things right now that it is out there and they want you to follow up with the complaint saying it has been fixed (damage control), and if not, if enough people do the same with similar issues, you can at least take business away from the useless company and help others not make the same mistakes by working with these people.

Word of mouth always has been one of the best forms of advertising, and with the way things work today with social media and the above mentioned review sites, it is more important that ever I think. One bad experience can spread like wildfire and ruin a lot of business for someone. You would think with that in mind they would strive to make customer satisfaction a priority but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case for whatever reason.

Anyway, good luck to you with this. Hopefully you end up in front of someone who actually cares and want to fix it.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice, so I guess plan A was to try to pass you along to the next person pissing you off to the point of giving up but since you are still after them they are now on to plan B - flat out ignore you and hope you go away. Sounds like a first class dealership.....

Be careful what you ask for. I had a new red Mustang with a few blemishes in the paint, dealer repainted two fenders and the hood. All was well until I went to trade it in and was given a very low price since the car "had been in a wreck and had been repainted." I explained no accident, the only painting was to correct minor blemishes, but they wouldn't buy my story and I lost $$$ on that trade-in. Careful with a major respray to correct a couple of chips!

Be careful what you ask for. I had a new red Mustang with a few blemishes in the paint, dealer repainted two fenders and the hood. All was well until I went to trade it in and was given a very low price since the car "had been in a wreck and had been repainted." I explained no accident, the only painting was to correct minor blemishes, but they wouldn't buy my story and I lost $$$ on that trade-in. Careful with a major respray to correct a couple of chips!

That's a good callout. And it is the very point the dealership GM was saying.

OMG.. I am so sorry!!! I am currently awaiting deliver of my Lightening blue GT Prem convertible... if there is ONE mark on it will be PISSED I have wait for 30 yrs to not have to drive the Mom car anymore!! I will make sure I go over it with a fine tooth comb before they get one cent!! I think I am driving my husband crazy with the order tracking page... it has been in transit for 4 days!!!! we are only 650 miles / 10hrs from Rockville.. the waiting is SO PAINFUL!!!!!