2018 mustang 10 speed failure

My 2018 GT slams into Drive from Neutral or reverse. It also slams into 1st from.3rd when slowing. The dealer has refreshed it and done everything they can. The trans tech said it has to come out for bench work next. I think slamming is due to the torque converter locking up. Well see what they find.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 2018 with 2000 miles on it and I’ve noticed that when backing up then shifting back to drive it has a noticeable delay before going into gear. I’m gong to take it in next week to have it checked.
I have 2019 and my transmission does the same thing it also slips out of gear on a slight incline pulling into my carport my car has been back to the dealership twice first time I asked them to check the fluid level they just drove it and found no problem the second time I took it for it’s first oil change and asked again to check the trans fluid they didn’t and said it’s under warranty don’t worry about it so I told them that the next time they see this car it will be on a rollback.

Reactions: 1 user
I had the lunging into gear and coast down downshift harshness which was solved by a dealer software re-flash of the tranny computer last week. Nice and smooth now with the latest updates.

Has anyone else had a problem with there 10 speed transmission? Mine went out at 4000 miles and it’s been at the dealership for two weeks. Was wondering if it was a freak accident or if there’s more cases out there
The transmission failures are till happening> Engine light came on and mechanic reported DTC codes of P0771 and P2704. Noticeable delay in transmission shifting between gears and when shifting in reverse.
We bought a 2018 Ford Mustang GT with the 10-speed transmission a year ago. It just failed in November at 6735 miles. Here is what the dealer reported. Removed transmission pan and found heavy metal contamination. Tore down an inspected all component. Found Front Pump heavily contaminated with metal. Found E Clutch to be at fault causing internal damage to the transmission. Snap ring bent and piston came out. Valve body heavily contaminated with metal. Flushed converter, unable to completely decontaminate. E clutch hub damaged. CDF hub damaged. Front pump gear heavily contaminated. Performed cost cap and it was determined to replace assembly. Replaced Tran Assembly. Flushed cooler lines. Topped off fluid. Performed adaptive drive cycle. Post road test good. Car OK at this time.
Update: Picked up the car tonight.

Mine is definitely different than I'm used to. It is very different from what I consider "traditional;" automatics. I find that in Sport Mode it seems more like what I expect a tranny to work like. As I get used to it I'm pretty pleased with mine.

I am new to this site and just picked up my wife's 2018 Ecoboost 10-speed from the dealership today after having the harsh clunking shifting issue for a while. Initially, it was thought to be a sensor gremlin, but ending up needing the valve body assembly replaced due to several internal valves being scored. Very happy with the outcome and treatment at this dealership.

Our 2018 GT, non-ecoboost, auto transmission, is having the delay issue from reverse to drive, and yesterday we weren't sure if it was ever going to engage. We have 39K miles. At first it only did it when it was cold but it did it multiple times yesterday.

I drive a 2018 GT. Bought her brand new and she's my baby. 28,000 miles as of today. I am having the same problem with the transmission. Started out barely noticeable and only once every few months so I didn't think much of it. From park to drive there was a delay and if I gave it gas the engine would rev then clunk and lunge forward. I also noticed the feeling of downshifting when I came to a slow stop. I even thought it was my brakes, as well. Last night the problem got worse and the orange wrench light and check engine light came on. From park to drive the car rolled back several feet and then lunged forward making a clunking noise and this time, a grinding noise. Called my nearest dealership to make an appointment and they can't get me in until the 27th! No loaners available of course. I will post an update as soon as I know anything. I told them if I end up on the side of the road, a tow truck will be bringing it in before the 27th. Ugh!

Ugg RedBetty, i feel your pain. We still have not had any issues since we disconnected the battery and reset the computer. I will be curious to see what the dealership tells you. I hope you don't get stranded....I still cross my fingers when I get in it doesn't do it.

Our 2018 GT, non-ecoboost, auto transmission, is having the delay issue from reverse to drive, and yesterday we weren't sure if it was ever going to engage. We have 39K miles. At first it only did it when it was cold but it did it multiple times yesterday.
Mine has been this way since purchase. Last weekend it would not shift and I had to have it towed. I was told today it needs a new valve body. The car has 40,000 miles. How common is this issue? I am thankful it was still under warranty.

I drive a 2018 GT. Bought her brand new and she's my baby. 28,000 miles as of today. I am having the same problem with the transmission. Started out barely noticeable and only once every few months so I didn't think much of it. From park to drive there was a delay and if I gave it gas the engine would rev then clunk and lunge forward. I also noticed the feeling of downshifting when I came to a slow stop. I even thought it was my brakes, as well. Last night the problem got worse and the orange wrench light and check engine light came on. From park to drive the car rolled back several feet and then lunged forward making a clunking noise and this time, a grinding noise. Called my nearest dealership to make an appointment and they can't get me in until the 27th! No loaners available of course. I will post an update as soon as I know anything. I told them if I end up on the side of the road, a tow truck will be bringing it in before the 27th. Ugh!
Mine did the same thing. I was told not to drive it and have it towed. Thankfully they started on it the next day. Mine was the valve body.

The transmission failures are till happening> Engine light came on and mechanic reported DTC codes of P0771 and P2704. Noticeable delay in transmission shifting between gears and when shifting in reverse.
We bought a 2018 Ford Mustang GT with the 10-speed transmission a year ago. It just failed in November at 6735 miles. Here is what the dealer reported. Removed transmission pan and found heavy metal contamination. Tore down an inspected all component. Found Front Pump heavily contaminated with metal. Found E Clutch to be at fault causing internal damage to the transmission. Snap ring bent and piston came out. Valve body heavily contaminated with metal. Flushed converter, unable to completely decontaminate. E clutch hub damaged. CDF hub damaged. Front pump gear heavily contaminated. Performed cost cap and it was determined to replace assembly. Replaced Tran Assembly. Flushed cooler lines. Topped off fluid. Performed adaptive drive cycle. Post road test good. Car OK at this time.
Update: Picked up the car tonight.
Update: the new transmission in our 2018 Ford Mustang GT seems to be working fine. There seems to have been an issue with the 10-speed transmission that year based on the number of repairs reported. In our case, it took the dealer three weeks to finally replace the transmission. I was told they had to keep trying to repair transmission until their costs prove to exceed the replacement cost. That's the Cost Cap mentioned above.

I’m new to Stangnet here, but after reading this I had to make an account and comment. I seriously thought I was the only one having issues with my A10 Trans. I have an 18’ EB performance pack and I’ve had trans issues 3 times. First at 24,XXX my trans blew out and needed a rebuild, second at 26,XXX I had a tranny leak and I needed a pan replacement and I had leaky seals, and Third at 30,XXX I had the pan replaced again along with the seals. Each time this happens my car usually shifts really hard, or can’t find the right gear, or on long drives I have a delay in power where the trans feels clunky and hesitating to shift. Anyone have a problem similar to mine to where they had to take it back multiple times ?

I stumbled upon this thread when looking into 2018 transmission issues. I was floored to see a few of you describe exactly the same issues my 2018 EcoBoost is currently at the dealership for.

I was having the same delay and then lurching into gear. In the mornings when it was cold it would go into reverse really hard and kind of lung. Also like some of you it did the whole delay from reverse to drive and do nothing when revving then suddenly lurch into gear. I took it in over a week ago for its first oil change and had them look at my concerns about the transmission. Initially I thought I had warped brake rotors so I had them really check the brakes. It was kind of warpy feeling when coming to a stop at slow speeds. When the tech took it for a test drive he said that it wasn't the brakes but was the transmission.

So now it is at the dealership being worked on. I initially got an update that they knew there was an issue but could not pinpoint it, then a few days later they found the issue and were working to get it fixed. I was told it was something electrical in the transmission not communicating properly or something. They said I should get it back on Monday. At least I got another Mustang as a loaner car. Its a 2017 EcoBoost and as soon as I started driving it I could totally tell something had been wrong with mine, it actually feels more "peppy" than mine did.

It sucks having these issues but at least its under warranty. I just hope it actually gets fixed and not just a bandaid put on it.
My 2018 Ecoboost was having issues with a rough shift from park to drive and reverse to drive. Also when at a light i had a sluggish first gear and still at second. Nothing worse than being the slowest car holding up traffic lol. Fired just called me and said it's ready to be picked up and they have to change out a control valve in the transmission. I really hope they fixed the problem! Will send an update in a few weeks

Anyone experiencing strange behavior from their 10-speed? I've got an EB convertible, and an EB coupe, both 2018, and they display the same behaviors in some instances, while the coupe does strange things that the convertible doesn't. The most alarming behavior from the coupe is a pronounced 'lunge' when moving from Park to Drive, (occasionally) after the car has been sitting for about an hour. The microsecond the shifter hits "D", the car lunges forward without the typical engagement delay. Engine at normal, hot idle speed. It's done it a few times going into Reverse from Park, as well. I don't know if this is a programming glitch, or a mechanical issue. The convertible has never done it. Anybody else seeing this?
Hi,
I have the same issue, and been visiting the dealership every 10,000 miles to reset the software. I am getting sick now, because every time I go there, the dealer says that it is the way these transmissions were designed! It is 2018 EB performance package edition (43,000). I wish we would have the Ford engineers visit this forum sometimes.

Hi,
I have the same issue, and been visiting the dealership every 10,000 miles to reset the software. I am getting sick now, because every time I go there, the dealer says that it is the way these transmissions were designed! It is 2018 EB performance package edition (43,000). I wish we would have the Ford engineers visit this forum sometimes.
They wouldn't survive the heat. :rlaugh:

Hello my friends,
I'm one foot in and one foot out on a 2018 gt premium tp1 with the 10r80 10speed trans and 8,000 miles ...have any of these issues occured again for you? It's August 2021 and the 3 yr warranty is up today, should I buy it, will the 5yr/60,000 mile power train warranty cover this transmission issue? Has the valve body replacement fixed your issue for good? Thank you!

should I buy it, will the 5yr/60,000
IMO, yes. Buy it.

As for what it covers, you have to look at the literature for the policy you are buying and ensure that it is one that covers those things you want to be covered.

With the snowballing level of complexity in cars anymore, the extra 2 years in the service agreement at least gives time for the aftermarket to catch up. :D