24# inj. new MAF or cobra EEC

Im thinking of making the upgrade to 24# injectors, and Im a cheap ass so I always end up buying used parts, but i cant seem to find a good used 24# inj. MAF sensor, and I saw the thread where grady rattled off some numbers and said the stock MAF sensor was ok until like some rather decent HP number, so would it be beneficial or detrimental to buy a cobra EEC since they compensate for the 24#ers, and if so, anyone have one for sale? :)

• Sponsors (?)

The MAF only tells the eec how much air is coming into the engine, it is not cal'd for a specific inj. that is done in the eec in other areas specific to inj.

Those companies that say the MAF is cal'd for a specific inj. basicly have some way of fooling that incoming airflow to the eec to make it look like the inj. are the stock inj. when using larger inj. Pro-M uses an electronic means, and C&L uses a diff. size "sample tube" that allows more or less air to go threw/over the MAF wires to fool the eec.

The cobra eec will be a good backup as it does use the same MAF as the GT but has settings for 24#inj.

If your buying a tweecer this is kind of a wishy washy point, as you can just run a cobra file with the mods you need to make more power, but with the cobra eec if the tweecer for some reason fails (not very often but it can break) you will have a basic tune that will work with 24#inj.

blksn955.o said:
The MAF only tells the eec how much air is coming into the engine, it is not cal'd for a specific inj. that is done in the eec in other areas specific to inj.

Those companies that say the MAF is cal'd for a specific inj. basicly have some way of fooling that incoming airflow to the eec to make it look like the inj. are the stock inj. when using larger inj. Pro-M uses an electronic means, and C&L uses a diff. size "sample tube" that allows more or less air to go threw/over the MAF wires to fool the eec.

The cobra eec will be a good backup as it does use the same MAF as the GT but has settings for 24#inj.

If your buying a tweecer this is kind of a wishy washy point, as you can just run a cobra file with the mods you need to make more power, but with the cobra eec if the tweecer for some reason fails (not very often but it can break) you will have a basic tune that will work with 24#inj.

so are you saying that I can run 24# on stock GT EEC and MAF?

NO it will run way rich and stall with a stock GT eec. Tried that at the track last week and it would idle or run for a few seconds then stall or run realy realy bad, but at first it would run bad arse....

it will run ok with the cobra eec though and your stock MAF. Running the cobra eec with a tuner is kind of a fail safe if the tuner fails (again not common).

1994Vib.RedGT said:
also are the stock fuel pump and pressure regulator in a GT up to the task of 24# injectors?

Yes, but...if you are installing 24lb. injectors because of a need for more fuel into the engine, you should have done an afpr and fuel pump earlier in your mod process. You are sort of doing things backwards.

im not sure if i "need them" or not, right now mods are as in sig, and this christmas im gonna go with thumper heads, a cam (either wolverine 1190, b303 or e303), and pulleys. So i figured I might as well swap to 24 while im in there.

What is the difference in price between a new MAF and a used Cobra ECU? Personally, I'd go with the new MAF, the Cobra ECU is only allowing you to use the stock GT/Cobra MAF which flows about 800 cfm's. The aftermarket MAF's all flow greater than 1000 cfm's.

blksn955.o said:
The stock MAF will support the power he is making and going to make as it is good to the 290-300rwhp range.

That's true for now but look at his sig he's wanting to add a 331 and AFR 185's and a TFS cam. That stock MAF will be pegged for sure. A bigger MAF is not going to rob him of any power unlike a TB that's too big. With MAF's and fuel pumps bigger is better IMO.

it also says by 2010, it might be awhile before he gets around to that stroker..if funds are tight I would spend it someplace else for now esp. since you can find a cobra eec for around 100$. Even then I would get a gen 2 lightning MAF and tune of some kind over any other meter you cannot beat the factory curve.

blksn955.o said:
it also says by 2010, it might be awhile before he gets around to that stroker..if funds are tight I would spend it someplace else for now esp. since you can find a cobra eec for around 100$. Even then I would get a gen 2 lightning MAF and tune of some kind over any other meter you cannot beat the factory curve.

yes, it will be a long time before i get that 331, and my budget is very tight right now, im a poor college kid basically buying all used parts since my engine has 93,000 mi, im going to do this extreme used parts budget buildup until this motor pretty much goes out, or I graduate college, whichever comes first.

1994Vib.RedGT said:
im not sure if i "need them" or not, right now mods are as in sig, and this christmas im gonna go with thumper heads, a cam (either wolverine 1190, b303 or e303), and pulleys. So i figured I might as well swap to 24 while im in there.

My reply is based off of the fact you said ...... money is tight.

That tells me you most likely will use a stock pcm to save money.

You can use a GT or Cobra pcm

Here are a few options that come to mind you can think about:shrug:

My Plan A ...... I would go to 24's and a 255 pump and a Cobra pcm for the least amount of money spent and that pcm is more workable with the h/c/i mods than the GT pcm.

My Plan B ...... GT pcm, maf caled for 24's, 255 pump. You will have to buy a maf with this plan but then again, you won't have to buy a pcm. I don't think drivability will be as good with this plan.

My Plan C ...... GT pcm, 19's, 255 pump, and afpr to work the little 19's at elevated pressures. I really don't like this plan but many peeps have done it. Like Plan B, the drivability most likely won't be too good.

I'd guess you will put up numbers in the 260 to 280rwhp range.

IMHO even at elevated pressures, 19's would be too small to allow me to sleep good at night, lol.

You do need the larger pump no matter what.

The stock maf is fine for that combo as it will not push enough air to peg it.

I'd just cruise over to one of the other sites or hit up a shop that tells their 94-95 Cobra customers they need to replace their evil j4j1 pcm:nono: for a
:rlaugh: new:rlaugh: and improved all-mighty Fox A9L pcm. You most likely can pick it up for a song.

Grady

Anyone recommending a Cobra EEC obviously has very limited experience with them. The timing and fuel strategies are very very weak compared to any other processor.

blksn955.o you need to come down sometime and I'll show you exactly what needs to be done to get your car running the way it should.

Although the tables are weak, he will prob. not have any drivability issues or need a tune to get it to run with the cobra eec while running 24#inj. and the stock MAF, cheaper too than buying a Pro-M or C&L and you run the very real possibility of drivability issues on the hit or miss 94-95's. Now to have access to tune with the j4j1 (cobra eec) it is ALOT easier to get stock drivability out of that processor and you can change anything that makes it run poorly (well unless I am tuning it:rlaugh: ) buy changeing the spark tables/fuel tables.

I need a few things, mostly mech. wise to get the damn pushrods the correct length, I think I am close but I know its not set properly. I have an adj. P/R checker and hope to get a roller lifter from Tmoss soon (I need to PM him and see when a good time to pick one up would be) to check those with the set of 1.7rr I have sitting around.

If you want to take a look at it and give it the once over for anything I may have missed I would be willing to head down your way someday.

BobCat said:
Anyone recommending a Cobra EEC obviously has very limited experience with them. The timing and fuel strategies are very very weak compared to any other processor.

Everybody has an opinion, that is for sure ...............................

I not only have an opinion but an experience to go along with it.

There are others who also have had that same experience.

Have you seen the many peeps who use a Cobra pcm or have gone to the trouble & expense to change the file in their original GT pcm to the Cobra file thus making it a Cobra pcm?

They can be found on this site, Corral, and many of the tuner sites if you wish to see what all these peeps have accomplished.

blksn955.o you need to come down sometime and I'll show you exactly what needs to be done to get your car running the way it should.

I'm always up to learning new things!:nice:

I know for certain that Greg is as well.:)

Why not share with us some of these things you have learned so we all can benefit?:shrug:

Grady