25 lb weight removal

Hobbs4ut

Founding Member
Oct 15, 2002
Bluffton, SC
I found that 25 lb weight under the right front fender I heard so much about and removed it. Further research revealed that it is referred to as a "vibration dampner" by Ford. I believe it is on all 94-95's but I could be wrong - I know it is on the convertibles anyway.

I haven't driven the car much. I just bought it and I'm doing a lot of maintence stuff to it.

Question: Any down sides to removing this 25 lb "vibration dampner"? I don't remember ever hearing of any but want to make sure. I guess I'll really know when I start driving the car.

• Sponsors (?)

Nik_92Stang said:
I can't look for myself right now, since my cobra's at home and I'm @ work, but this damper is only found on the verts right?
Yes, it is only found on the verts. Coupes DO NOT have the weight.

Hey what about the vibration damper under the diff on the 8.8's has anybody had any experience taking that off????

I yanked it on mine and haven't had any problems without it. I'm still running the stock driveshaft and 3.08's as well.

Isin't the "dog bone" wrapped around the drive shaft right before it connects to the rear axle. It seems like that is for saftey, in case it ever disconnects from the axle it won't be spinning around like crazy when you're doing like 120 and hitting your rear seat passengers on the bottom.

cajun

cajunscrew said:
Isin't the "dog bone" wrapped around the drive shaft right before it connects to the rear axle. It seems like that is for saftey, in case it ever disconnects from the axle it won't be spinning around like crazy when you're doing like 120 and hitting your rear seat passengers on the bottom.

cajun

It has nothing to do with safety. If the DS ever came unbolted from the rear diff it would slide out of the tranny as there is nothing holding it in up there. To remove a DS, all you do is unbolt the four diff bolts, push the DS forward into the tranny (to clear the pinion flange), and then pull it right out. The DS comes out of the tranny quite easily and is quickly followed by all your tranny fluid. Unless, of course, you were smart enough to get a plug to keep most of the oil in the tranny instead of on the garage floor. Trust me, that's a mistake you only make once. :rolleyes:

The safety aspect of DS's comes into play if you break the transmission yoke or snap the shaft mid-length. This is where a DS loop comes into play. If it breaks at the transmission for example, it will spin around and quite easily come through the floorboards as the car's weight continues to roll the car down the track, turning the tires and in turn spinning that DS. Since it is bolted to the pinion flange, it isn't just going to slip off and fall on the ground. A DS loop keeps the shaft from penatrating into the cockpit.

On a side note, I was unlucky enough to witness the after affects of a DS coming through a loop that wasn't designed properly. This was in a series of custom race cars I used to race (Dwarf Cars if you're familiar with them) and so the DS ran right beside the right leg of the driver. The DS failed, tore through 24 gauge steel, three pieces of 1/8" x 1" steel strap, and promptly turned my buddie's femur into pudding. His motor was turning 12,500 rpm at the time and he was in 6th gear so you can only imagine how fast the shaft was going when it came looking for him.

The dogbone is just for vibration dampening and acts as a sort of counterweight on the pinion nose. However, few cars really need it and once you go to an aluminum DS or new gears (the dampener is setup for the harmonics of the stock gears, not aftermarkets) it's just dead weight.

j1586 said:
Where is this weight located? on the inner fender or firewall? Hobbs4ut what do you do in the Navy?

I was on Submarines as a Nuclear Electrician for 13.5 yrs and got a couple of BS degrees (I guess you can take the "BS" two ways!) and was commissioned in the Nurse Corps. I'm a Critical Care nurse now. I guess I turned so many wrenches back on the sub I miss it, so now I turn wrenches on my play toy cars.

I is all the way in front by the fog light. It's long and black and mounted from the fog light going back and up at an angle. Careful when it lets loose, that 25 lbs is heavier than you think lying on your back turning wrenches.

Here's what it looks like.

25lb_vert_weight.jpg

I just took off the inner fender to trouble shoot a vacuum leak and saw this thing that said "Caution 25lbs". :shrug: And then BLING didnt I see something on Stangnet about this? So I ran over to the computer and logged on, and it looks like I'm going to be 25lbs lighter on the front end. :banana: Thanks!