25 pound weight removal

NEEDA5.0

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2002
I was gonna pull the bumper off to get that 25 pounds out of the front end. I was also gonna remove the strut tower brace. Whats that gonna save me in et?

• Sponsors (?)

NEEDA5.0 said:
I've tried, I can't get to the upper bolt.

wait how is your car slower with 4.10s, it should be considerably faster,i never even heard of stock mustangs running 15s,they ususaly run somewhere in the 14s, 5 speed ones anyways, its yours auto?

I know and its frustrating as heck. Yes, its an automatic and I think its got a trans issue. It surges when it does the 2-3 shift like its slipping and I've got convertor shudder. I have no idea whats causing the slipping or how much its gonna cost to fix. Any ideas?

i know nothing about auto trannys, you should convert it to 5 speed if you are gonna spend the money to take it out and get it fixed you might as well just buy a tremec. it wouldnt cost you much more.

don't get a new tranny. If you do, I would suggest getting a donor car, that would probably be the best way, cuz you know they (mechanics) are gonna hand you a big bill.

Get yourself a Stall converter, and you'll be hanging if not, be beating Manuals of the line (I would suggest a 3200 stall converter :D , but with those gears, you might have to do some research).

what is this 25lbs removal weight you guys are talking about? it can't be the dog bone, because you did say it was in the front of the car.

Wow running slower on 4:10's is crazy. You've got major problems!!! Are you spinning like crazy or what? Even if 86 mph??????? Not right. I have had many stangs and nothin like this?? And if I was doing anything trans wise one word TREMEC!!!

Road_Runna said:
what is this 25lbs removal weight you guys are talking about? it can't be the dog bone, because you did say it was in the front of the car.

It is a weight that is installed on covertibles to reduce cowl vibration or something like that. It is tucked in the front bumper near the passenger side foglight. Just about everyone with a 'vert has taken it off and had no problems.

Yeah, it kinda looks like a big black cylinder thing. All you have to do is take the splash guard thing off...takes 5 minutes and undo 2 bolts I think. It's a little tough to get to, but by no means unreachable. I'd say it's worth doing...losing 25lbs. never hurt anybody.

I was told a while back any aode with 4.10s will require some computer work to make them work well.. not sure why this is but when I bought my 95 it orginally had an aode with 4.10s and the guy went and had the computer work done... basically stock with B cam, Off road H pipe, 4.10s and went 14.20s.

you need computer work with 4.10's and an auto because the computer does not know that you have steeper gears than stock. So the "table" it uses to shift at certain rpms, speeds, etc. is thrown off. i have heard that you will damage the tranny with 4.10's if you don't get a chip burned for them.

Josh94gt said:
you need computer work with 4.10's and an auto because the computer does not know that you have steeper gears than stock. So the "table" it uses to shift at certain rpms, speeds, etc. is thrown off. i have heard that you will damage the tranny with 4.10's if you don't get a chip burned for them.

Thats it... I knew I heard something about 4.10s in our cars with AODE's.