$2500 To Spend On Mods Need Help

Sorry guys I know this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it. :shrug: Anyways I have about $2500 to spend. I can't save $10 so saving $2500 for more or better mods want happen. I plan very limited 1/4 time but I want a better street car. I have a NOS kit but am thinking of selling it. I think I can get a S/C for about that but will have no $ left over. Do you guys think it would be better to do bolt-on's, gears, suspen, or other things or go with a single high dollar item? Also I will do my own work. Thanks Ryan

• Sponsors (?)

Ryan's 02 GT said:
Sorry guys I know this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it. :shrug: Anyways I have about $2500 to spend. I can't save $10 so saving $2500 for more or better mods want happen. I plan very limited 1/4 time but I want a better street car. I have a NOS kit but am thinking of selling it. I think I can get a S/C for about that but will have no $ left over. Do you guys think it would be better to do bolt-on's, gears, suspen, or other things or go with a single high dollar item? Also I will do my own work. Thanks Ryan
oh boy, i love to spend other people's money!
so what are your plans for the car? drag racer? road racer? fun street car? conservative? aggressive? we need more info!
ok, $2500, here's what i would do w/ your $$

Cams and springs-VT stg II and comp cams springs-~$700
LCAs-$215
Headers-$450
shocks/struts-~$450-$500
dyno tune-~$300
"save" the rest, or do little stupid mods like bumper inserts, chin spoiler, shift knob, etc

Ryan's 02 GT said:
DerekStangGT you said it good "fun street car". How much more performance do the CAMS give? Also I hear those are a bitch to change??? Thanks
expect a good 25-30 RWHP w/ some VT stg II cams and a decent tune. cam install will be tough. it will take all your mechanical skill to complete the install, granted youre just a normal "mechanic". i asked the same question a while ago. lemme find the thread.

also, some suspension mods will make your car a very fun street car by firming up the body roll, etc. if you arent gonna track it, dont bother w/ the adjustable illuminas. just get some basic tociko premium S/S or some regular Koni's. i also forgot to add some subframe connectors, strut tower bar, rear swaybar, etc. those little mods will run you ~$100-$150 each

EDIT: found the thread, heres the link. click for cam thread

Don't even think about running N2O or a supercharger with only $2,500. You should definitely stay normally aspirated and go with bolt-ons. With that budget, I would do rims, drag radials, gears, O/R X-pipe and cat-back, lowering springs, sub-frame connectors.

jimfitzgerald said:
Don't even think about running N2O or a supercharger with only $2,500. You should definitely stay normally aspirated and go with bolt-ons. With that budget, I would do rims, drag radials, gears, O/R X-pipe and cat-back, lowering springs, sub-frame connectors.
he already has three of those :shrug:

I have most of those except drags and subs. But thanks. I have seen a few S/C's on Ebay but if I were to go that route that would be all I could do for now. The cams look alittle more then what I'm up for but dont know yet. The site DEEPSEAGT has the cams for 550 I think. The cams aren't the bad part it's the springs.

Ryan's 02 GT said:
I have most of those except drags and subs. But thanks. I have seen a few S/C's on Ebay but if I were to go that route that would be all I could do for now. The cams look alittle more then what I'm up for but dont know yet. The site DEEPSEAGT has the cams for 550 I think. The cams aren't the bad part it's the springs.
once you have the tool for changing the springs, its a breeze, kinda

Ryan's 02 GT said:
if its not going to be a 1/4 mile worrier then 'handling' would be a good thing to look at, for that money I would go for the following:

-http://www.evolutionmsport.com/evmCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=14 Its a tri-link Watts linkage, also new shocks & springs alround, with their X brace, V brace and rear stabilizer bar
It will set you back about $2500 but it will handle like a true thourgh bred.

-Also rear final drive gears 4.10's (are you manual or auto)

All this will add up to a very spritly car, which will have instant accelaration and great handling. It might not be the quickest in a straight line but will in the real world run rings round most of cars, even ones with more bhp. :D

topless98gt said:
Just remember...suspension before power!

Suspension DOES matter! It can save you in many could-have-been-an-accident-if-i-didn't-have-good-handling cases as well as put more of your power to the ground. Just my 2¢...now I'm broke!
werd. i was in many close calls during my stock suspensioned days, including one i wasnt so fortunate in. 2 years ago, it was wet, i fishtailed hardcore, lost control, hit a concrete barrier, $7k, yadda yadda yadda. needless to say, i read Skip Barber's School of Racing cover to cover (great book, go pick up a copy), practiced on a buch of little side roads, and now have a completely re-done suspension (excpet for my G-Trac bar which is gonna be here in a couple days). i dont think i'll lose control again. :hail2:

DerekStangGT said:
werd. i was in many close calls during my stock suspensioned days, including one i wasnt so fortunate in. 2 years ago, it was wet, i fishtailed hardcore, lost control, hit a concrete barrier, $7k, yadda yadda yadda. needless to say, i read Skip Barber's School of Racing cover to cover (great book, go pick up a copy), practiced on a buch of little side roads, and now have a completely re-done suspension (excpet for my G-Trac bar which is gonna be here in a couple days). i dont think i'll lose control again. :hail2:

up in the snow belt we practice our driving skills in empty snow covered parking lots. after you have had a 4000 pound boat like a 76 pontiac 100 percent sideways going 50 thru a parking lot, anything is easy after that. now the rain is a joke too drive in. that screwing around as a teenager in parking lots has saved my ass a few times as a adult.

one time was in my old monte i had. in the rain rear brakes locked up on the highway and the car went sideways at 40 mph or so. i dont mean a little loose. i mean facing the gaurd rail sideways. and because of the practice on ice i was able too bring that car back without hitting the cars in the other lanes.

so suspension will help but practice and experience in bad road conditions is whats going too save your ass.

i think a very wise choice would be to sell the nos kit and use that to piece together the rest of a strim kit. SVOSALEEN (cool blue performance) on the corral can sell you a tuner kit for 2500 brand new. use the $$ from the nos kit to buy the odds and ends to get everything together and pay for a dyno tune and you will have one wicked fast car.