281 HP & Stuck -- Suggestions please ??

• Sponsors (?)

Killercanary said:
You need to either start turning some more RPM's (which will be limited by the cobra intake) and put in a matching cam to take advantage of the head flow, or add some cubes to the thing, or up the compression a good bit.

He said the intake was heavily ported also. If done right to match the heads, it should not be a restriction to flow.

Same-same to me Paul - a properly ported Cobra should make good torque/power to 6,500 rpm - reach for 7,000+ rpm and it's different. Maybe not as much peak as a shorter runner with larger cross section but going by only peak numbers is a mistake in my book - averages under the 2,000-6,500 rpm curve are the best comparison.

Tom, do you know of any cobra intakes that pull that high??? You know me above all people believe more in average power and area under the curve than peak. I don't see how a cobra intake, with the runner length it has, is going to be able to support a 302 H/C car up to 6500-7000. I could be wrong though...

Hi guys

I'm in the same boat here. I have a 95 GTS and I just modded her up last summer. I have a Trick Flow Track heat intake, Canfield heads(2.02 valves) match ported to intake (have flow numbers), stage 1 TFS cam .499, MSD 6AL, 24# injectors, 255 lph pump, BBK cold air intake, BBK 70 mm TB, 75 mm Pro-M mass, Kirban pullies, catted X-pipe, Mac shorties, Flomaster cat back 2 chamber mufflers, 355's.

I dyno'd 280 rwhp and 317 rwtrq. I didn't have the pullies at that time so lets say maybe I'm at 285 rwhp now. The TFS cam I have is very mild and I'm not even close to taking advantage of all that beautiful port work I've had done. The other thing I've noticed since the mods is oil consumption has increased. I thing the intake is sucking some in through the PCV valve since aftermarket intakes do crrwate more vaccuum. Anyway I'm leaning towards either a custom grind or just going for the Ford Camzilla Z cam.

My best ET is 13.6 @ 104.6 mph with an almost 2.2 60 ft time. I think my cam isn't performing and my trap speed should be at least 107 mph. I also want to break the 300 rwhp barrier. I should add I'm running with stock computer and stock fuel pressure regulator and my A/F is 13.5:1.

Sounds like you have the same problem as Pops Fun. Heavily ported heads and intake and cam that can't keep up. A bigger cam probably would help, but you'll probably still have a not so great low end. Just goes to show that high flow numbers don't mean everything on a 302.

Jake

I'm sure the high flow numbers matter but you need the cam to utilize all that breathability. I also have 1.6 rockers. I wouldn't say the heads were heavily ported but they were ported to match the TFS stage 1 cam. I also went with 54 CC heads to increase compression since I don't plan on going forced induction.

My flow numbers are as follows

0.100 73
0.200 137
0.300 193
0.400 247
0.500 279
0.550 281

I think the z cam may help me here.

Killercanary said:
Tom, do you know of any cobra intakes that pull that high??? You know me above all people believe more in average power and area under the curve than peak. I don't see how a cobra intake, with the runner length it has, is going to be able to support a 302 H/C car up to 6500-7000. I could be wrong though...

Yes, I have a dyno that has the Cobra making 312HP @ 6,000 rpm and still making 300HP at 6,400 rpm. After 6,500 the power falls off quicker and making power up to 7,000 rpm IS limiting and it should not be used for 7,000+ unless HEAVILY worked, but why when you can buy a better intake. They will make good power to 6,500 and I consider that the break point for a sanely ($$) modded intake.

Fast94Cobra said:
how many people are making 300 rwhp NA on 94-95s? i know its not too hard on fox bodied cars but i have yet to see many of our cars do it...
randomjoker said:
lots of people close but few break the 300marker
look at peoples combos etc in the faq thread found here.

That's what I try to tell people here and they get mad at me.. Im just stating facts based on observations. I cant explain WHY..

Now change our 302 block for a 306 or higher and youre there in a heartbeat with the h/c/i

RC

Killercanary said:
I'm not there... 293rwhp for me, I'm not complaining because I love smoking guys that have eclipsed that magical 300rwhp mark!!! Its not about the peak, lets not forget that.
WERD!!

That 12.31 will smoke me, and Im running a Vortech at 10-11 lbs.
Of course, We'll never know for sure till I get to the track! :rlaugh: :( :notnice:
RC