285's Minor Clearance Issue

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
Just got the 285's mounted and bolted on. Passenger side clears both kicker and tailpipe. Drivers side barely touches kicker and tailpipe. Moving the tail pipe is easy, even if I need to dent it slightly.

About the kickers, I can just invert them and get the clearance right?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks gents and yes I meant quads. Already done. Piece of cake. Also flattened the tail pipe a bit and we're in business. Nitto NT 555 Extreme ZR's. Can't wait for the rain to dry up so I can see how they hold. These are stock rear springs. I have 1.5 drops but it looks like if I put those on I might need to roll the fender lips. Rather not have to do that so its stock rear for now. The front has 1.5 drops so I'm sporting the classic hotrod rake to the front.

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Definately has some rake. I never much cared for rolling the lips. I always trimmed the lip with a die grinder and cut off wheel and then sprayed some undercoating on it.

The front springs are kinda hard but not too bad. I wish they would lift the front up more on acceleration. Any way to make that happen and still maintain decent handling in turns?

Thanks gents and yes I meant quads. Already done. Piece of cake. Also flattened the tail pipe a bit and we're in business. Nitto NT 555 Extreme ZR's. Can't wait for the rain to dry up so I can see how they hold. These are stock rear springs. I have 1.5 drops but it looks like if I put those on I might need to roll the fender lips. Rather not have to do that so its stock rear for now. The front has 1.5 drops so I'm sporting the classic hotrod rake to the front.

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg
Looks good man! Hey, when you all say "Flip" the quad shocks, what exactly do you mean??? I have 245's and stock rear springs and have about 1/4" or so of clearence between the quads and the tire. Thanks in advance...

Looks good man! Hey, when you all say "Flip" the quad shocks, what exactly do you mean??? I have 245's and stock rear springs and have about 1/4" or so of clearence between the quads and the tire. Thanks in advance...

Flip them around so the orientation is different. So in other words, the fat end is towards the rear of the car here. Well you'd unbolt them and turn them around so the fat end is at the front end of the car.
IMG_0881.JPG

Flip them around so the orientation is different. So in other words, the fat end is towards the rear of the car here. Well you'd unbolt them and turn them around so the fat end is at the front end of the car.
IMG_0881.JPG
I thought this but it just seemed weird but... There it is, maybe I'll try this. Is it true that with better (aftermarket) upper & lower control arms we can eliminate them altogether? My plan is for a complete suspension overhaul so if I can do without them. Sorry Mr. Dirks for thread-jacking...

I thought this but it just seemed weird but... There it is, maybe I'll try this. Is it true that with better (aftermarket) upper & lower control arms we can eliminate them altogether? My plan is for a complete suspension overhaul so if I can do without them. Sorry Mr. Dirks for thread-jacking...
Some people end up with some wheel hop without the quads. My car didn't with mm lower and stock upper.

Reactions: 1 user
Just go to MM and order a torque arm set up and no problem:D.

Reactions: 2 users