289 engine

I found an ad on pennysaver...it is a ford 289 engine selling for 400 dollars...and its in good condition..is this the engine size of the v8's...if so, and i do buy it to replace my 232 engine...what else would i need,, and would it be a pain to do so...how much would it cost me for the extra parts needed??

• Sponsors (?)

Does the block include the pistons/rods and crank or just a bare block? plus all the mounting and wiring, Not sure about our K member if it is a direct replacement, plus tranny, etc. lots of issues to deal with.

The 289 is the destroked version of the latest 302 that the 5.0s ran. The Mustang has not used the 289 since 1968. If you went that route, you'd be stuck either converting your current setup to carb'd (which would actually make the swap a little easier as far as fooling with the electronics goes) or coverting that block to a hydraulic roller, what your late model 5.0s used.

Personally, I'd stay away from it because its the extra cubes of the 302 that help make the stock 5.0 as torquey as it is. Besides, 302s are a dime a dozen, so just stay on the lookout for a decent deal. I actually landed my built 308 (just a 302 with a .040" overbore) by cruising the 94-95 forums and got lucky one day I would suggest doing the same if I were you. www.stangparts.com always has blocks and I believe their 302 blocks are only $150 or so. If thats what you decide to do, then take it to your machine shop and they can magnaflux it for ya then clean it and do a fresh bore job for you. There's your new, ready for innards 5.0 :)

You might even get lucky and try the www.corral.net or stangnet classifieds and find either a complete (or close to it) stock setup or a built shortblock or whatever. Just keep looking...

The 289 is essentially a 5.0......you would need a 94-95 K-member for it to bolt into your vehicle and a different tranny. Like said before, the 289 was used in the Stangs from 1965-1967 when replaced with the 302 (5.0).

The engines that will bolt into your car with the least amount of changes are a 3.8 or a 4.2 out of an F-150. A 4.6 "may" work with some work. A 5.0 "would" work with even more work.