289 top end set up

freedom1776

Mar 6, 2013
i'm considering putting together a top end set up on a 289 for my 65 fastback. i know there's several kits available but from what i've read the kits don't reach the advertised hp, so i've decided to go the route that many others have taken and do it piece by piece. anybody have tips or recommedations?

• Sponsors (?)

When planning for a H/C/I upgrade, (heads, cam and intake) you should have a goal in mind. Street racer? Weekend fun car? Track car?
What transmission do you have now? What rear gears? How much money? Any other mods already done that you can work with?

What budget goals or limitations do you have? I am doing the same thing next fall for my 65 FB, I am going to target 10:1 or greater compression with a solid lifter lemans cam and aluminum heads. I will need to sort out what pistons to run to maintain that compression ratio with the larger chambers in aftermarket heads. My current 289 heads have really small chambers so any change in that volume will cost me HP if nothing else changes. I figure alloy heads weigh so much less that even with a mild HP increase it will help keep the CG lower. The thing is I am pondering staying with a vintage Autolite 4100 carb and I hope I can set one up without it being a limiting factor.

first of all thanks for the responses. my intentions for the car is a weekend driver/street racer, probably won't see the track but can't count it out. i currently have a 9" rear end out of a granada with a 3.7 gear set up and a c4 tranny (i've got a good lead on a t-5 but i may stick with the c4). i'm looking at the z304 aluminum heads from ford racing, edelbrock victor jr intake and the comp cam extreme energy cam. i already have a holley 700 but i may go to a 750. my budget isn't really a concern but i don't want to go crazy.