2Blue2's 1977 Cobra2 Driveway Build

• Sponsors (?)

Where to put the cut out?

Out the side of first chamber in muffler is against frame rail.
So yet another x pipe ( say it isn't so)

Does't fit muffler very well. So I started cutting until it did.
I tell you it was the hardest hole I ever hole sawed in my life.

XcXnBtlbTJ+c6mej5ODLWQ.jpg
Qg18Mvi9RZqc1TRQXrK3rA.jpg
cbwLOgxqTlOKclomRYsxjQ.jpg
9WSs3%EPQ3eW7nCh2+r9Kw.jpg

Well its together but still not completely happy with it. Needs more shrinking.
X0vhCSgcR0OxAK4R8T1HDw.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
You guys do need louvres on your rear windows. They look really good in the II . What is the availability on those for the sides too.

Classic Auto Reproductions has both.

What is the availability on those for the sides too.

I got them but son, as a new driver was having hard time tracking his blind spots.
Fiber glass repos are available but I do have the stockers.
They get dirty behind and are hard to clean because they are double sided tape on to the glass.

DSCF0250.JPG

Find the fox headlight ;)

Reactions: 1 users
But the real question is will this exhaust (with its imaginary headers later on) support 389.4 Horse Power?:rolleyes::D hint hint!

Here is my problem. Minnesota State Laws
169.69 MUFFLER.
Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order which blends the exhaust noise into the overall vehicle noise and is in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a street or highway. The exhaust system shall not emit or produce a sharp popping or crackling sound. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with such parts and equipment so arranged and kept in such state of repair as to prevent carbon monoxide gas from entering the interior of the vehicle.

No person shall have for sale, sell or offer for sale or use on any motor vehicle any muffler that fails to comply with the specifications as required by the commissioner of public safety.

• Dislike
Here is my problem. Minnesota State Laws
169.69 MUFFLER.
Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order which blends the exhaust noise into the overall vehicle noise and is in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a street or highway. The exhaust system shall not emit or produce a sharp popping or crackling sound. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with such parts and equipment so arranged and kept in such state of repair as to prevent carbon monoxide gas from entering the interior of the vehicle.

No person shall have for sale, sell or offer for sale or use on any motor vehicle any muffler that fails to comply with the specifications as required by the commissioner of public safety.
My problem also Enzio. Glad I live in a state where anything does go. To think that a cop can pull you over for a POP and give you a ticket for a hundred bucks stinks. And while hes at it why not search your car. I grew up in a state like that. Florida cops dont care about any of that. My windshield on my truck has been broken for three years who gets away with that.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Thank goodness we got the 170 muffler.

Wait theres Laws!?!? Come on, The Cobra is just gonna be doing peaceful protest briefly.

.Dang it Enzio did you just really quote the muffler ordinance to me!?!?:cautious:
I'd figured that with 10 more months on the safety ~ I is good to go.

For a while, then well make a block off plate for inspection next yr.

LOL~Enzio you crack me up:rlaugh:

Been thinking about this since the dyno test.

So if it says "no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a street or highway"; what if I'm not using it? Could I actually have them and not be using it and be okay?

See where my mind is going?

Been thinking about this since the dyno test.

So if it says "no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a street or highway"; what if I'm not using it? Could I actually have them and not be using it and be okay?

See where my mind is going?
That's usually what it means, it's okay to have it so long as you don't open it up on a public roadway. Using it at the drag strip, on the dyno, during autocross, and other non-street usage is usually fine unless another local law, rule, or regulation prohibits it. (For example, at my local drag strip, cutouts are not allowed, you must run mufflers.)

Reactions: 2 users
That's usually what it means, it's okay to have it so long as you don't open it up on a public roadway. Using it at the drag strip, on the dyno, during autocross, and other non-street usage is usually fine unless another local law, rule, or regulation prohibits it. (For example, at my local drag strip, cutouts are not allowed, you must run mufflers.)

I stand corrected:

[and no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a street or highway. ]

I still count it as a maybe.

If it said: and no person shall [operate] instead of [use]

It depends on what they mean by, "use" :shrug:

You would likely need to call and inspection lane (or whatever) and ask if a cut-out (used for track only) will pass a visual.