2Blue2's 1977 Cobra2 Driveway Build

• Sponsors (?)

After 6 to 8 weeks, Windshield day has arrived. So I phoned and had the insurance activated then went to drive her down to the shop. 4th drive.
It drives like the wheels are square, the shocks are frozen, and the U joints are toasted.
Afraid to go faster than 25mph because its so shaky. but made it down the glass shop, was thankful it was so close to home.

The brakes however work excellent but are a bit heavily over boosted for my tastes. I'm used to manuel brakes I guess.
As soon as it rolls better I'll try the panic stop. New windshield, so clean!;):D;)

Ku5MQ26JStaupiNG1Al7sw.jpg mRLS9b81Qj2FUumy36Lrww.jpg

The guy at the shop was really cool.:cool: He owns his own classics and works on them.
He had this niffty GS Buick with the stage 1 455ci.
There was also a 67 firebird back in the corner and a 70 Cutlass 4-31with the 350 that I can't find the picture of now.
He even found a used window crank to replace the one I broke, and put on for me just for fun (79 kine with black knob.) Score!:)

XrtyA0JISkmwdaSh3IYy4A.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
NIce!! I really like those Buicks and Cutlasses!! My brother had a Cutlass back in high school with a 350 Rocket. It wasn't the fastest car by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a nice ride! It's one of those cars you wish you had kept....... :)

Reactions: 1 user
NIce!! I really like those Buicks
Oh yeah!
When I turned 16 and got a license my older brother had the stage1 455 GS Buick and it was one of the first cars I got to drive around in. I got fond memories of that car. Was so excited to see it I sent him pics so we could have a laugh.

Great project! It looks like you and your son are having a good time working on the car. I remember turning wrenches with my dad. I wish we'd been able to do more before I moved out for school. Now I'm looking forward to working on stuff with my son. He's 3, but enthusiastic! I've always liked how the Mustang II Cobra looked.

Window Cranks
The 79 knob sure looks similar but is larger for sure. I found another on flea bay so I can have matching set.
The cracked knob is about to fall off old one anyway

DSCF0440.JPG

Viser sun shade new Tips

New windshield needs working visors. Tips are busted off.
My plan is to drill them and use a broken screw extractor easy out.
It All worked easy, they weren't just broke off but frozen into the visor.

DSCF0429.JPG DSCF0430.JPG DSCF0431.JPG

Had to do both sides. New tips from Classic Reproductions.

DSCF0432.JPG

Wiper motor repair

Once again new windshield needs wipers that work. Its not asking too much right!?!
Nothing happens when you hit the switch. So check the fuses, but no fuse just this 6 amp breaker fuse thing.
Was so oxidized that the ohm meter couldn't read it through the corrosion. Sanded the prongs and then put it back and had power to the switch plug.
Still don't work
Meter won't read thru steering column wiper harness. Some dedicated clicking of switch on and off and the two speed switch came back to life on the meter reading. (yeah I got lucky).

Wiper still don't work though.

DSCF0428.JPG DSCF0437.JPG

Pulled the gauge cluster but couldn't see the wiper motor. So I went from the bottom.
Pulled the drivers seat and the steering column plate and could see my objective.
Unhooked the wiper harness and tested for power to there, and after some more wiggling of the previous steering column plug
It read ok.

Pulled the motor out and bench tested it, nothing. So I took it apart, Had to chase the springs around. Found out trans was stuck in the old grease. Disassembled the little trans and cleaned and re-greased it. cleaned the brushes and amateur of carbon and taped the brushes back in to reassemble.

DSCF0433.JPG DSCF0435.JPG

Bench test, it runs. put it back in car. test without wiper blades on and it won't park. Took it back apart and cleaned the parking points system contacts, both sides.

DSCF0436.JPG

Last edited:
Put it all back together and it parks the wipers in the up position. I put the lever arm on backwards.
Fix that and it all works. Yes!

But the next morning it did not work again. took it out and it bench tests great.
Much swearing delete
Chased it down to the bolt ground contact washer thing completely caked with white powder.
cleaned all surfaces and put it all back together for the XXX time,
Now it all seems to work again at least till tomorrow.

I think I'm one light bulb from passing a safety inspection now.

DSCF0439.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Whoo hoo passed inspection and got a plate on her.
So i drove the kids to school in her today much to there surprise and amusement.
Went to the hardware store, tires need balancing bad!:rolleyes: Then drove to beach for fun. Idles like crap think its got a vac leak.:eek:
Still needs some fiddling but we've made progress for sure. :nice: :D

vUksVn4kRsm7aMi7DONWsw.jpg

Kid won't have learners permit for another 30 days, so I got to get my driving in now!
But its driving! Its on the road!, I could end the thread here and just be a happy camper.

Or maybe just go on lots of scooby doo type adventures and post em to entertain you all.
Happy Memorial Holiday Weekend to everyone.:)

Jc6ayRfbR+KTua8r0K9noA.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Awesome....
Will it do Burnouts? :D

It will not do a burn out from a stop. Can't power brake one either just stalls the torque converter.
Haven't wired line loc yet but don't think it well help.
Has made a little chirp in the 1st to 2nd shift going up hill and on some right hand turns.
Very pitiful. Let the speed parts begin already.

But over all its fun to drive and gotten good comments every time I stop it.

Now that it runs.
1. Today, tire side wall ruptured.It had some bad cracking on it so not surprised. Just part of being a old square tire. So need some new ones.
2. The oil has turned black as 'that cold bitches heart, from the past' who shall remain nameless.
In only 30 miles too, So want do a engine oil flush thing.
3. Trans seems to leak from everywhere but the front and rear seals. shifts a little erratic. Suffers flair up on 1 to 2 shift.
4. I think i hear a rumbly wheel bearing but shakes so much can't tell. New tires will make it so I can listen better.
5. All 4 wheel center caps must of shrunk a little because they are all lose and go clunky clunky at slow speeds.

First up carb swap to a bigger two barrel. Just got to rebuild it and carb kits are scarce out here.
1.08 287-CFM vs, 1.21 356-CFM
If it works out then about 70 -CFM more.

DSCF0424.JPG

Are the ports in the manifold big enough

Mmm, a good question. never considered it might be too big for the '66 2 barrel manifold. Carb seems to be correct for 1969 F-100 390ci.

Should just quit messing around and get a real carb/ manifold for her.

I guess 2barrel and 4barrel aren't measured the same.
Time for boring technical stuff.

.............Coutesy of "The French Town Flyer" from the FORDSIX.com website...................

Remember that four barrels are flowed at 1.5 "hg. So these flow numbers do not equate to 4V flow. To convert divide by 1.41.

So, for example, a 190 2V would be equivalent to a 135 4V.
A tri-power using 3 of these 190s equals a 404 cfm four barrel.

This means the largest MC2100/2150, the 1.33 (at 424 CFM) is equal to a 598 CFM four barrel. I can't quite get my mind around this. Maybe someday I'll understand.

............................Courtesy of RGuest3 on CJ-8.com.......................................

Here is what I found, and I am quoting here.

"Sometime during the 1950’s, engineers found that a passenger engine with a four-barrel carburetor would not maintain a vacuum of 3 inches of mercury at wide-open throttle; and by some convention 1 ½ inches of mercury was chosen for rating 4-barrel carburetors. The ratings for 1-barrel and 2-barrel carburetors were left unchanged.

To convert from one system to another (with a very small percentage of error) is relatively simple. Simply use the square root of 2 (1.414).

Thus to convert a two-barrel rating into a four-barrel rating, divide the two-barrel rating by 1.414.

To convert the four-barrel rating to a two-barrel rating, multiply the four-barrel rating by 1.414."

By using this method described above, here are some comparisons:

2V cfm < Equivalent Flow > 4V cfm

* ( Flows Like )

MC2100 - 1.08 Venturi 287 < / > 203

MC2150 - 1.21 Venturi 351 < / > 248

Holley 2300 - 2 Barrel 500 < / > 354

Holley 390 - 4 Barrel 551 < / > 390

Holley 470 - 4 Barrel 665 < / > 470

You get the idea. Plug your carb into the equation and see the difference.

..........................................................................................................

Summary --- I'm trying to switch from a 200cfm to a 250cfm when talking in 4v talk. Might be wasting my time barking up this tree.