2Blue2's 1977 Cobra2 Driveway Build

• Sponsors (?)

Very nice unmolested find!
Thank you

Yes your timing chain is stretched
The wires are either 43 years old or someone put a Ford crate motor in it at the dealer
That engine is stamped with 'Number Matching' to serial number on car and is now sitting in the corner waiting for its chance to go back in where it belongs.
Beside that 289 in it now belongs to another fastback I got, but its here now and driving now and thats what matters right now.:D:p;):nice:

Reactions: 1 user
IMG_0808.jpg

I'm not sure but it seems you may need a bigger car for those gears. At least a bigger diff housing.

Or, Hear me out. They can be used as wheels. Great for digging into sand. A few burnouts and you can make your own creek. Make her a hillclimb special! The potential uses are endless!

Reactions: 1 users
Went to gas station to fill her up and she leaked a gallon and a half on the ground at the top off.
So with the Christmas rainbow shining through the sky,
I syphoned her dry.:( I was trying not to make a mess.:eek:
IMG_0971.JPG

The point of contention...
IMG_0977.JPG
IMG_0978.JPG

My vent-plastic-90deg-elbow-thing was without roll-over valve,
What size was the vent nipple?

The stock roll over vent nipple was 5/8 on mine. Said for '79 but fit fine. 1 inch vent hole in grommet.
Cleaned off the copper silicone. Vent plug thing inside went up and down easily when I shook it.
Put back together and rattled canned er new black so can't see anything under there.
Fixt now!

Just got to get enough gas in er belly to get to the gas station now...

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG
IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

What size was the vent nipple?

The stock roll over vent nipple was 5/8 on mine. Said for '79 but fit fine. 1 inch vent hole in grommet.
I do not remember. But I used either 6 or 8mm hose on the vent. Was your vent hollow (without check ball or float)? My 74 was without check ball or float. This is why I upgraded (even if i do not like VW).
The grommet fitted fine. Description of grommet says:
inner diameter 48 mm
outer diameter 23 mm
Fuel systems works without any issues. I do not have pressure or vacuum when opening the gas cap.

Not that you are planning to roll it over but I would use a newer valve with a check ball or whatever works
I would like to see you use chev parts before vw
That's how you fix old chevs (you put ford parts on them)