Progress Thread 2nd Fox Body - some window trim work!

And I did add new quad shocks to the parts pile!
81880B9A-69F6-4F47-A7EB-37B5E4C18A28.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

I was thinking of the sawzall, but didn’t want to ruin the sleeve, because.... yes, my plan was to replace with poly bushings and re-use the sleeve. I’ll have to steal a steak knife from the kitchen, as my hacksaw didn’t seem it was coarse enough. Thanks!
Burn them out...take a torch to them.....they catch on fire,....spatter, sizzle and smoke for about 15 minutes,..then, you push out what’s left with a mallet handle while it’s on fire, and what’s left of the rubber bushing jumps out of the shell....and breaks apart on the ground.

it’s so freakin easy.

a standard torch will work, when you do the work, be sure to put it where you don’t care about the black soot/goo that’s gonna get everywhere around the burn. Once they start burning, the rubber will spatter little chunks of burning rubber. once the whole mess is oozing, just push out the bushing from the shell using a stick or something similar. Once it’s out, you can clean the remaining residue with a wire wheel on a drill if you have one that’s small enough to fit inside the shell. the best way to do that is to also heat the shell with a torch before putting the wire wheel to it.

Reactions: 1 user
It raining out pretty good right now..... and I need some more smaller size wire wheels, but I got 95% there on the first one with what I had!
B5BE99FC-9D92-46B8-A229-59C7326B427A.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I did get up to AZ before worked and bought/rented their ball joint press. Got the old ones knocked out real quick. I have them a few days to soak with WD40 and PBblaster.
Once I get some time to get these bushings out I start on the refurb!
I like these little projects that don’t cost me much!

For the second control arm, I heated the inner sleeve until the rubber started sizzling, and it pulled right out with a pair of pliers! Forget about about that drilling it out method, this was super easy.
Did the same for the big bushings. Heat the shell
D64633F4-E72C-4886-8776-91586BE39DE5.jpeg
until it sizzles, and either pull them out with pliers if you can get a grip, or push them out with something. Very little mess, very little smoke!
When I find the U-toober again who gave me this tip, I’ll give him a shout—— but this is definitely the way to go!

Edit: here the vid that led me to this very easy method of control arm bushing removal!

View: https://youtu.be/Q-sIDfES7RY

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If they were worth it, you could almost use the bushings again, that’s how easy they came out. It took a little bit of time to get the bushing itself to start to “sizzle”, but the inner sleeve heated up and came out very quickly!
i guess all of that “stuff” i said about how to burn out a control arm bushing was wasted blather then ?

i guess all of that “stuff” i said about how to burn out a control arm bushing was wasted blather then ?
Not wasted blather at all! You had me convinced to just burn them out, which I was going to do. So, while wasting time on the toob, I decide to watch someone else burn one out. Then I found that option. So in the end, you led me to a good end result ;). thank you!