Progress Thread 2nd Fox Body - some window trim work!

Fuel pump is my bet, low on fuel, old pump is hot because of its age, cool fuel hits it when you gas up and pump locks tight, just a guess only because I grab vehicles all the time at the petrol stops.
Sometimes you can have someone turn key to start while you bang on the tank and it will start, they do it at the shop all the time.
Fuel was a little lower than I usually let it go (under a 1/4), so that could very well be it.
I will definitely be banging on the tank before I decide to drop it! Lol

• Sponsors (?)

Got a rubber mallet? They work best, try to find a spot to actually strike the tank not the protective cover and hit the key at the same time.
It actually started this morning before I broke out the rubber mallet. But after a few tries, it just went back to cranking.
It was cold, but the sun was shining bright, so I figured I better take advantage and change the pump! Tank strap bolts were a PITA, but it’s done.
I thought it was cool the pump still had the date on it - 4/11/02. I guess it doesn’t owe me anything!
D299988C-2AE9-45D1-92BE-508C8B878AF0.jpeg

Hell almost 19 years of service can't beat o.e.m.
Yeah..... I love this truck. Underneath is getting pretty bad with rust though. Almost time to make a decision..... but only 104k on the odometer.
Almost want to make it my next restoration project..... after the fox is where I want it.

So after my DD fuel pump issue, I got back to work on the Mustang.
I ordered a pinion bearing, race, and the spider gears from Summit on New Year’s Day. Gears and the race are here. Bearing was supposed to deliver yesterday. Never happened. Now there’s no date. All I can see is that it left Nevada on the 5th.
Anyway, I got the rear back up on the bench, and threw the axle bearings in. At least it’s progress.
Tuesday when I’m off, I’ll get the spider gears in, and carrier ready to go. We’ll see if my pinion bearing shows up by then!
6BD385C4-62D1-442D-8B08-AF3195384084.jpeg

Pressed on my carrier bearings too! Harbor Freight press worked like a charm.
6971F0A4-5248-49C4-ACF0-FBD229E4C1C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So, somebody at FedEx must have missed a scan at some point. All of a sudden today, my bearing was “out for delivery”! Came home and it was here.

Going to soak the clutches in the friction modifier tonight, and then I’ll have a go at these rear gears tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 user
So, not as much progress as I wanted today, but I got the carrier assembled.
8F2E7E07-AE7D-4069-8645-5F8394617DE4.jpeg

I had two issues today. The first was, I ordered the wrong spider gears. I guess I ordered an “open dif” set, because when I opened them up there was nowhere to put my splined steels!
244DE4A2-B3D8-4F90-A2A9-E5955C00AA83.jpeg

I guess that why they had a special on them at a good price. Anyway, I needed them for the smaller gears and washers, which are the same. So it may not be the right thing, but I used the new small gears and washers with the old side gears.

My other dilemma was that I never realized there was no carrier bearing shim kit. I had shims for the clutch pacs, shims for the pinion bearing, but the other ones are missing. I either never had them, or they got tossed out. Anyway, a trip to LMR.com, and I wait again!
I did try to install the carrier with the two old shims, and it was way too tight. I guess the new bearings/ races are slightly different than what was there before. Need the shims for proper set up anyway!

I’ll throw this post in here, just because,
Good things do happen once in a while.

Last year, in May, my brothers and sisters (and husbands and wives) were supposed to go to the Caribbean for a destination wedding for my brother. Obviously the Kung flu hit, and 2020 got cancelled. I got a refund on my hotel part of the trip right away, but Delta was only issuing “airline credit”. I don’t travel much (by air) so that money was as good as gone as far as I was concerned.
Fast forward to today, I get an email from Costco Travel, where I booked the trip. They worked something out with Delta and I have been notified I’m getting a full refund on my airline fee!
Found money is nice! $1400 in found money is even better! Now to convince my CFO it’s a good idea to put some toward the Mustang build. Wish me luck!

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Did some work today setting up the gears. Got my pinion preload set, and got my backlash set at .010, with what I’m pretty sure is proper carrier bearing preload. I used the Ford manual guide of shimming to the tightest I could get in by hand, then adding .006 to each side. That gave me my total shim size, and added and subtracted from side to side to get to my .010. So I was happy with that.
I Used a set up bearing and the old crush sleeve for all testing.
My third, and best tooth pattern so far is this. Should I run it, or keep adjusting?
68D6DEC3-CA0F-4861-B271-CEA4C3C96E50.jpeg

11103350-4890-48E3-AD75-1A84F9945F2A.jpeg

In the theory that my tooth pattern is ok, I started the “final” assembly on my pinion gear, with the new crush sleeve. I quickly came to realize my Cambell Husfeld air impact is not up to the task. Not even close to getting it tight. I’ll borrow my neighbors Milwaukee battery impact tomorrow, but I’ll be in the market for one soon, as it seems it’s something I would have and will be using a lot.
My own rule is that if I borrow a tool 2 or 3 times, I need to buy my own (usually before 2nd borrow).
So...... calling on @CarMichael Angelo to see how you like your HF impacts, and if you’d still recommend?

In the theory that my tooth pattern is ok, I started the “final” assembly on my pinion gear, with the new crush sleeve. I quickly came to realize my Cambell Husfeld air impact is not up to the task. Not even close to getting it tight. I’ll borrow my neighbors Milwaukee battery impact tomorrow, but I’ll be in the market for one soon, as it seems it’s something I would have and will be using a lot.
My own rule is that if I borrow a tool 2 or 3 times, I need to buy my own (usually before 2nd borrow).
So...... calling on @CarMichael Angelo to see how you like your HF impacts, and if you’d still recommend?
love them.

That pattern does not look bad to me. Better than what I ended up with on my car but I was using used gears.

I bought a dewalt impact a little over a year ago. It’s the big boy. 1200 ftlb removal 700 ftlb installation. I have all dewalt 20v stuff so it made sense. It’s an awesome tool.

That pattern does not look bad to me. Better than what I ended up with on my car but I was using used gears.

I bought a dewalt impact a little over a year ago. It’s the big boy. 1200 ftlb removal 700 ftlb installation. I have all dewalt 20v stuff so it made sense. It’s an awesome tool.
Thanks! If I can get that pattern again after final assembly I’ll be pretty happy!

I didn’t change anything that required alot of torque, so I can’t directly talk about whether the 1/2” Bauer impact that I have would’ve been up to the task of crushing the crush sleeve or not. Even if I had taken it apart though, I planned to replace that sleeve with a solid spacer anyway. The 3/8” impact that I used to tighten up the transmission when I was using the cheesy fasteners that came with the adapter managed to break those things effortlessly. The 1/2” gun made backing off the lug nuts that I torqued to ball buster using a 25” long breaker bar easy peas too, so as far as I’m concerned they do the job i need them for.

Well, it’s back together. New crush sleeve, oil slinger, pinion nut, and flange. Backlash still at .010, and my pinion preload was about .022 (within the .016-.028 for new bearings). It was definitely a little harder to turn the ring gear to get my pattern, but that stayed very much the same as well. Right now, for my first gear job, I’m calling it a success. It will be a while before it gets tested on the road.
FF42D83C-277D-4C14-839F-BDFB0E8AFAFE.jpeg

6CDA3CF3-59E9-4736-A33A-BD40ED5E78CD.jpeg

6E004362-E570-4BF7-8C72-675C3840FF4E.png

• Hell Yeah!
  • Loved It!
Reactions: 1 users
Assuming you're looking to get an air impact, my favorite Canadian had some good things to say about the more recent HF impact guns.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqWypTAG4Hw