Progress Thread 2nd Fox Body - some window trim work!

Thanks @Mustang5L5 . I thought of the one on the starter, but then I thought that would that mean the 5 terminal was staying closed as well, getting the juice down there?

Not necessarily. The solenoid on the starter can stick and hold without power

However, given that a recent change was adding the new smaller relay, odds are very likely that that is the issue.

Here's another relay I recommend. The famous Bosch 75A relay. I know, it's overkill at $35 each, but it's one of those things where that $35 will pay for itself the first time one of the cheaper $5 relays leaves you stranded somewhere. I've had one of these running my E-fan for over 15 years now. I'll likely use one when I do the same factory solenoid delete as well.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Bosch-Tyco-Relays/p_823743.h_823744.r_IF3003?mkwid=YnN3zMyF&crid=11472933143&msclkid=5aba46024ddd1f24ed741ad6198b2c7f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping - PLA's(BSC)&utm_term=1100315444322&utm_content=Ad group #1

• Sponsors (?)

Not necessarily. The solenoid on the starter can stick and hold without power

However, given that a recent change was adding the new smaller relay, odds are very likely that that is the issue.

Here's another relay I recommend. The famous Bosch 75A relay. I know, it's overkill at $35 each, but it's one of those things where that $35 will pay for itself the first time one of the cheaper $5 relays leaves you stranded somewhere. I've had one of these running my E-fan for over 15 years now. I'll likely use one when I do the same factory solenoid delete as well.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Bosch-Tyco-Relays/p_823743.h_823744.r_IF3003?mkwid=YnN3zMyF&crid=11472933143&msclkid=5aba46024ddd1f24ed741ad6198b2c7f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping - PLA's(BSC)&utm_term=1100315444322&utm_content=Ad group #1

I may go for that.... $35 for piece of mind is worth it.

I was messing around with this again today, and the problem was intermittent. I swapped out the relay with a Dorman one I had in the garage (brand new). Still intermittent.
I then figured out that if I turn the key back slightly toward the start position and back, it would kill the starter. I think I may be looking at an ignition switch issue.

Nothing much to report. Starting issue seems to be ok, if I make sure I turn the key ALL the way. I have a new Motorcraft ignition switch coming anyways.

I did get it out for a ride today. Ran real good! Last time out I heard a “ticking” noise and turned out to be a loose plug. Tightened that up! Today, no issues, idled perfect about 800 at the stoplights! Real happy with that! Still rough idle at start-up though. Needs some gas to keep it running for a few seconds.
Anyway, it was just nice to have a sunny day with no threat of rain, and an hour of spare time to get the car out.

Reactions: 2 users
Grabbed another piece of the welding puzzle today at Harbor Freight. Had to get the cheezy red one with the graphics since the color matched the car pretty good!
E757B375-EAFF-4451-A26C-245AA8AC46B6.jpeg

Unfortunately springtime means a ton of work for me around the house. Hopefully I’ll get to the supply house for some gas soon too!
As long as I can get some practice and be somewhat proficient enough to work on the car by winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! My thought was to remove the decals, and maybe add a running horse decal. When I got it home, it seems those decals have been cleared over, and I’ll probably make a mess of it trying to remove them, so it’ll stay that way.
As long as the lens darkens properly, I’ll be happy.

And you’re right, this one that came with the welder is definitely cheesier. Lol
91A76171-4B51-4AF3-A608-171660FB6682.jpeg

Been pretty quiet on the Mustang side of things lately. Been getting the yard and pool ready for summer, mowing the lawn every time I turn around with all the rain we’ve had, and now just did the first oil change on my wife’s new Cherokee.
It’s a pretty simple process with the filter right at the top of the motor. Has a nice little trap door in the skid plate to get to the oil plug. Up on the ramps, 1,2,3 and done. No wiping everything down because the filter was up above everything with no choice but to drip on everything (previous 04 Escape we had).
I was a little apprehensive to go away from the Ford family, but so far, I’m pretty happy with this Cherokee.
Maybe in a week or so I’ll get to spend some time with my new welder and take the car for a good run. Lately it’s been my transportation to Home Depot and Lowe’s. Lol. But at least I’ve gotten it out.
Tonight I’ve been re-writing my log of work (and expenses) I’ve put into this car. It seems un-necessary, but in 20 years, it'll be cool to look back on. I keep a greasy, nasty notebook in the garage then every once in a while I’ll transfer it to a nice clean notebook.
Anybody else keep track of their progress?

Anyway, there’s my rant for the night. Off to bed. Hoping to get up early and cross the reseal of the driveway off the list! Happy Memorial Day!

Reactions: 1 user
I hear ya on the house chores, after the garage build I really thought I could do car/truck stuff but noooo, gotta screen in the carport now,
have I mentioned how much I hate painting?

I hear that. I feel like I just painted the driveway. Lol. I think I finished too early though, now I’ll have to find something else to do and check off the list!

• Happy
Been pretty quiet on the Mustang side of things lately. Been getting the yard and pool ready for summer, mowing the lawn every time I turn around with all the rain we’ve had, and now just did the first oil change on my wife’s new Cherokee.
It’s a pretty simple process with the filter right at the top of the motor. Has a nice little trap door in the skid plate to get to the oil plug. Up on the ramps, 1,2,3 and done. No wiping everything down because the filter was up above everything with no choice but to drip on everything (previous 04 Escape we had).
I was a little apprehensive to go away from the Ford family, but so far, I’m pretty happy with this Cherokee.
Maybe in a week or so I’ll get to spend some time with my new welder and take the car for a good run. Lately it’s been my transportation to Home Depot and Lowe’s. Lol. But at least I’ve gotten it out.
Tonight I’ve been re-writing my log of work (and expenses) I’ve put into this car. It seems un-necessary, but in 20 years, it'll be cool to look back on. I keep a greasy, nasty notebook in the garage then every once in a while I’ll transfer it to a nice clean notebook.
Anybody else keep track of their progress?

Anyway, there’s my rant for the night. Off to bed. Hoping to get up early and cross the reseal of the driveway off the list! Happy Memorial Day!
I like the notebook idea. I guess stangnet is how I keep track of progress, and pics of coarse.

I hear ya on the house chores, after the garage build I really thought I could do car/truck stuff but noooo, gotta screen in the carport now,
have I mentioned how much I hate painting?

So we finally picked out some tile for the kitchen. I thought I hated painting too. After doing the heat gun/ scraper thing on the Armstrong vinyl tiles that were there, to get them removed...... I will happily paint all day long, anywhere you want!!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Ok..... it’s been a bit. Stang has been feeling neglected for sure. But I think I’m on my way out of the construction zone. Just a few pics of where I’ve been.
A37A0637-91AC-4316-A3DD-2B51466E9939.jpeg D5B0A662-B2B1-4616-BA1C-A0523784EA7D.jpeg 1EBAC3F2-9092-4CB9-8202-FB4B36B8EDDC.jpeg

That burgundy counter is next on the list...... but I got time before we tackle that! Garage here I come!

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody else keep track of their progress
?

I was under the impression that was the purpose of a build thread..at least that's the way I use it.

• Agree
Took advantage of this longest daylight day of the year (once the rain finally broke) and gave the car a good detail. Vacuum, Maguire’s detail, window cleaner in and out, tire shine....... the works. Hopefully get out for a nice cruise early tomorrow morning.

Kept the better half on board with “car time” and did the same on her new Cherokee!! ;)
My poor truck Is now #3, and didn’t make the cut today. One of these days, I’ll have to start with it!

Last edited: