Progress Thread 2nd Fox Body - some window trim work!

Started the cleanup today while I had a few minutes.
90DAB3B8-BDDC-4A35-B0B3-F6D371495D6B.jpeg

Some more work on Friday morning. Now I know why they invented sand blasters! This is taking some time!
4332BAE6-CA71-4F07-97B2-6987CAE32440.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I need to add more expense to this build like I need a hole in the head, but I’ve been thinking of something.
While I have the rear end and all the control arms out, I’m thinking of doing the torque box reinforcements.
Is this upgrade one of those “you have to do it” like subframe connectors? Its probably a good bang for the buck from what I can tell. Those of you following along, what do you think?

I recently installed LMR's TB reinforcements on my car. I had BBK upper and lower control arms with poly bushings and planned to swap to the exact same set up you plan to. I also had the same thought process as you and decided while the control arms were out I'd add the TB kit for peace of mind. Are they necessary? Probably not. Especially considering I had the "wrong" set up before and my TB's were perfect. In my situation (no racing or slicks), I kinda figured that it was a preventative measure - reinforce now to prevent possible damage later.

I will say though; it's quite a bit of work if you plan to weld in and want to completely remove the interior. It was a fun winter project though.

Reactions: 1 user
I recently installed LMR's TB reinforcements on my car. I had BBK upper and lower control arms with poly bushings and planned to swap to the exact same set up you plan to. I also had the same thought process as you and decided while the control arms were out I'd add the TB kit for peace of mind. Are they necessary? Probably not. Especially considering I had the "wrong" set up before and my TB's were perfect. In my situation (no racing or slicks), I kinda figured that it was a preventative measure - reinforce now to prevent possible damage later.

I will say though; it's quite a bit of work if you plan to weld in and want to completely remove the interior. It was a fun winter project though.
Thanks! Sometimes I get caught up in the “mod” thing, looking to do everything I can, even though I probably don’t need it. I’m never going to have crazy horsepower in this thing, so I’ll probably pass on these.

So I decided to order my rear end brake line set.

Once I get that, I can put the whole rear together, with calipers and rotors, and put it to the side until I get the rest of what I need! It’ll be nice to get that thing off my work bench!

Yes on the torque box reinforcements as a must do mod, doesn't matter which control arms as to whether you do them or not. Inherently flawed design, which most all the available tkits overcome, cheap & easily installed.

From MM website,"Better by design

Stress on the chassis torque-boxes is greatly reduced because the MM design allows proper articulation of the rear suspension.
3-piece urethane bushings allow articulation while reducing deflection and damping noise transmission.
Large 2" diameter round steel tube design for highest strength.
Why do I need MM Rear Lower Control Arms?

The stock Mustang rear lower control arms are fitted with very large, soft rubber bushings. Those bushings allow the axle to shift fore and aft, causing the toe of the rear tires to change. Toe changes cause instability as the rear of the car steers itself in unpredictable directions. The rubber bushings also allow axle wind-up during acceleration, which in turn causes wheel hop.
MM Rear Lower Control Arms were designed by our engineering team to minimize fore/aft movement of the axle, while also retaining the suspension's ability to properly articulate. This improves performance without unnecessarily compromising ride quality or handling.
Potential torque-box damage is greatly reduced because the MM design allows the suspension to easily articulate."

Torque box reinforcements don't hurt performance, function, or resale value if done right. Never heard anyone say someone's torque boxes needed to flex....or that they were too stiff. It's like through the floor subframe connectors. Do you really need them on a mild street car ?... no. Does the stiffness help handling and rattles ?...yes. if you have the money and stuff will be out if the way then there's no harm in doing it.

Ps. I had a car that ripped the drivers side torque box out with stock arms and bushings.

Fwiw , I installed lower torque box reinforcements many years ago when I upgraded UC / LC.
At the time I had no access to a welder so I bolted them in, last time I was under there torque boxes
looked great.
If I get ambitious enough I may lay some beads on them with my buddies welder but this is just a street
car no launching / slicks.

Man, you are working that car hard. When do you think you will be driving. Ready to see how your gears work out .
Thanks man!
Yeah, I wish I could blink and have it done! But I do enjoy the whole process. My original goal was spring, but I think now I’d be happy to have it out enjoying some nice fall weather. We’ll see!
As far as the gears, that is my biggest fear right now...... that something isn’t right.
But if it isn’t, everything is clean and new and will come back apart that much easier.
Im also spending the money little by little, so sometimes that slows the process some. But it gives me time to clean and paint.

Reactions: 2 users
As I clean up this k-member, laying under the car, contorting my arms into places that they don’t want to go, I’m noticing that I’m 8 bolts, and two motor mounts away from being able to drop this thing, get it completely cleaned and repainted.
Im really considering one of these bars, and just drop it down.
And in the “while I’m here” thought process, I can change the the leaking pan gasket, and clean and paint the pan.
A69E9112-62E0-4E87-9F91-27A97F2085B7.png

Reactions: 1 users