Progress Thread 2nd Fox Body - some window trim work!

I'm thinking I might get the tools to be able to set up a rear end. I'm starting to think that maybe I could do it myself.
I say go for it. I always thought gears were something I would never attempt. The more I read, and the more videos I watched, I just kept thinking that with the right tools, it doesn’t seem too bad. My attitude with everything has always been, “it’s just nuts and bolts”. I’ll take my time with the set-up process, and redo it until it’s right, and hopefully once it’s running again, there will be no issues. Fingers crossed!
I’ll continue to document my successes and failures here, hopefully helping others down the road.

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I say go for it. I always thought gears were something I would never attempt. The more I read, and the more videos I watched, I just kept thinking that with the right tools, it doesn’t seem too bad. My attitude with everything has always been, “it’s just nuts and bolts”. I’ll take my time with the set-up process, and redo it until it’s right, and hopefully once it’s running again, there will be no issues. Fingers crossed!
I’ll continue to document my successes and failures here, hopefully helping others down the road.
I'm especially considering it since a local place quoted me $600 for labor alone to set up gears in my Mercury. I can invest in all the tools for about that much or less. Then I'm set for whenever I need to set up gears in the future.

That, and I figure that if I have been able to learn welding and body work to the extent I have, setting up gears can't be that much of a stretch.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm especially considering it since a local place quoted me $600 for labor alone to set up gears in my Mercury. I can invest in all the tools for about that much or less. Then I'm set for whenever I need to set up gears in the future.

That, and I figure that if I have been able to learn welding and body work to the extent I have, setting up gears can't be that much of a stretch.
Wow, that sounds expensive. I’d be buying the tools if I were you.
Having never done a lot of these things, it definitely has a higher level of satisfaction when I do it myself.

Cleaned up the pinion flange. Looks like I need to add this to the parts list with those grooves.
A096ED4B-D819-4391-8A28-A68C721EB790.jpeg

I’ll have to check on that. Could save me a few dollars. Flange is only $45, but there’s plenty else I could spend it on, that’s for sure!
$45 seems cheap enough to go with the flange. I looked up repair sleeves and they run anywhere from $20-$40. I'd get the new one. Especially if that's for a new Ford piece.

$45 seems cheap enough to go with the flange. I looked up repair sleeves and they run anywhere from $20-$40. I'd get the new one. Especially if that's for a new Ford piece.
Yeah...49.99 on LMR ..... and although their LMR6 is no longer working, there is a BREWSIX code from the Brew2l Utoob channel that works now.

I spent most of today cleaning and painting. I took the exhaust down from the tailpipe to midpipe. I got both muffler hanger brackets painted now, and I took the quad shock brackets off the frame and painted those. All bolts cleaned and painted as well. The can of worms is officially opened, and won’t get closed until everything is either replaced or refinished. It will take me longer, but I’ll be happier in the end!
Just a few sample pics:
E9017AD6-9D4A-428E-B879-78BF314EE80D.jpeg

17D48A2E-9CDA-4F7E-8123-12269B79C175.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Went through a few cans of break clean and cleaned up where the rear was leaking.
Before:
8D950D66-1F5D-4B94-85DF-412CDA6D0FCD.jpeg

After:
40762EF1-E699-4CA7-A51E-C4AC6F1BBE44.jpeg

At least the grease keeps the paint nice.

I did some painting under there too, but I’ll hold off on the pics til I’m done.

...... and as much as I’d like a nice aluminum cover with the bearing brace, I have bigger priorities. So I cleaned this one up and primed..... waiting for paint tomorrow before work.
image.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Went through a few cans of break clean and cleaned up where the rear was leaking.
Before:
8D950D66-1F5D-4B94-85DF-412CDA6D0FCD.jpeg

After:
40762EF1-E699-4CA7-A51E-C4AC6F1BBE44.jpeg

At least the grease keeps the paint nice.

I did some painting under there too, but I’ll hold off on the pics til I’m done.

...... and as much as I’d like a nice aluminum cover with the bearing brace, I have bigger priorities. So I cleaned this one up and primed..... waiting for paint tomorrow before work.
image.jpg
Uhhhhh “ break clean” is usually a disinfecting towelette...applied to the counter top after a few Monsters, and a bag of chips..
Ya know,..Covid-n-all...
Just sayin....

• Haha
Was that 'break clean' on sell? :jester:
You prolly should use some on the 'dog house'.
I was “prolly” thinking about painting the “pumpkin” cover, and didn’t realize I “spelt” break.... eh.... brake, wrong! I’m just glad I don’t have issues with my “dizzy” right now!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Not much to report...... just a little more clean up and painting.
Got the rear end cover Rust reformed, primed, and painted:
192B5F60-04A1-4B84-946E-7F3E112DBB79.jpeg

I also got a lot cleaned and painted underneath. I still need to unbolt the clamps holding the fuel lines so I can get behind them...... but I’m getting there.

6A7F5BD6-B187-4F8B-B47A-FC0351C4C512.jpeg

And as you can see, at one point in its life, somebody hit the right rear on a curb.... shoved the whole rear to the left, as evidenced by the dents that were created by the driveshaft.
If I was really crazy, I’d pull the rear seat, throw some heat on that metal and try to get rid of the dents to make it look a little better, but I don’t think that will happen...... maybe!