2nd gear probs in 3550

mustangarret

Jun 4, 2009
Got my 95 cobra about three months ago, it has always been tough to get into 2nd gear and always grinds when running through them. When I bought this car it had been in a garage for three years, the transmission was replaced just slightly before it was parked. The previous owner said that it only had about 2k miles on it. From the searching I have done it seems to need a mainshaft, but I was going to ask to see if any one has had the same problems and it be something else. Any help would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure what you mean by mainshaft. It could very well be a clutch adjustment. There are 3 shafts in the transmission, an input, an output, and a countershaft. If it isn't the clutch, than that synchronizer has likely worn down a bit. Those transmissions are very easy to work on, and you can download the overhaul manual from TCI for free.

Kurt

It could be the clutch adjustment, I have no play at the top and it bearly disingages when pressed all the way down. Cable adjustment really dosn't help, only makes it worse. I have an adjustable ball stud and a new quadrant to go on it. Before I get started any suggestions or am I going the right way with the ball stud and quadrant? Keep in mind that it is only second that I am having probs with, all other gears are great.

It could be the clutch adjustment, I have no play at the top and it bearly disingages when pressed all the way down. Cable adjustment really dosn't help, only makes it worse. I have an adjustable ball stud and a new quadrant to go on it. Before I get started any suggestions or am I going the right way with the ball stud and quadrant? Keep in mind that it is only second that I am having probs with, all other gears are great.

Yeah, those are a good place to start. I've seen that same situation before, and it was because the clutch cable had come unbolted from the inside fender. The cable has to be attached to the inside fender somewhere. There is a bracket with one bolt that holds it on. If that bolt comes undone, the cable flexes too much, which keeps the clutch from disengaging.

Kurt