Engine 2v mustang gt serpentine belt

Hugos2v

Jun 5, 2019
Los Angeles
Hey I had a question concerning my 2000 mustang gt I was recently on the freeway when I lost steering, car started overheating I pulled over I saw the serpentine belt had shredded into pieces towed the car back bought a motor craft serpentine belt from lmr put it on and the belt is to loose and I can’t figure why if anyone can help me I already replaced the belt tensioner?

• Sponsors (?)

Attachments

• 32338724-FDC2-4308-87F1-94D91CE46A0E.jpeg
    32338724-FDC2-4308-87F1-94D91CE46A0E.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 383
  • 704CC382-448C-496E-BADD-4E22BEA68C2D.jpeg
    704CC382-448C-496E-BADD-4E22BEA68C2D.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 212
  • C975E816-E0C5-48B6-BEB0-B5417A206440.jpeg
    C975E816-E0C5-48B6-BEB0-B5417A206440.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 227
Has this car had a motor swap? Perhaps Windsor to Romeo swap?

What length belt has been used? 91.54" or 93.50"?

If the 93.50" length has been used then try the shorter belt.

OR.. the longer belt might be able to be used IF the idler pulleys are reconfigured. The longer belt uses a smooth idler pulley in the first position counter clock wise from the alternator. Then onto a ribbed pulley further down the timing cover.

Here's some information that may help you to understand the slight difference in routing. Note, there could also be a difference in the tensioner as well.

Last edited:

OR.. the longer belt might be able to be used IF the idler pulleys are reconfigured. The longer belt uses a smooth idler pulley in the first position counter clock wise from the alternator. Then onto a ribbed pulley further down the timing cover.

Here's some information that may help you to understand the slight difference in routing. Note, there could also be a difference in the tensioner as well.

i am not sure if the car has been swapped from Windsor to Romeo I can’t seem to find the 91.54 belt

Just wondering. Did you happen to look information about the alternate belt routing? Did you note the different arrangement of ribbed and smooth pulleys?

On my 2000 Mustang GT when I did the Windsor to Romeo swap I had the same issue occur with the belt being too long. In my case there were a ton of left over parts since I had two motors. Well it was easy to move the ribbed idler pulley to another timing cover mounting location and then add a smooth idler pulley following the diagram.

The belt that I had fit fine. It's been this way for more than 100K miles now.

After the motor swap I always use the parts list for a 2001 Mustang GT.

Last edited:
Just wondering. Did you happen to look information about the alternate belt routing? Did you note the different arrangement of ripped and smooth pulleys?

On my 2000 Mustang GT when I did the Windsor to Romeo swap I had the same issue occur with the belt being too long. In my case there were a ton of left over parts since I had two motors. Well it was easy to move the ribbed idler pulley to another timing cover mounting location and then add a smooth idler pulley following the diagram.

The belt that I had fit fine. It's been that way for more than 100K miles now.
Do you happen to have a picture of how you routed your swap?

Just wondering. Did you happen to look information about the alternate belt routing? Did you note the different arrangement of ripped and smooth pulleys?

The belt that I had fit fine. It's been that way for more than 100K miles now.

Attachments

• 886D7143-C755-4D22-92D4-7E137D6CD995.png
    886D7143-C755-4D22-92D4-7E137D6CD995.png
    543.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 67B144FF-CF94-45B9-9F0D-7C56820AE69D.jpeg
    67B144FF-CF94-45B9-9F0D-7C56820AE69D.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 30E3704F-EA12-428D-8DCF-5DE875140591.jpeg
    30E3704F-EA12-428D-8DCF-5DE875140591.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 0F9A3F2F-A815-45E6-87EF-242182C7DC39.jpeg
    0F9A3F2F-A815-45E6-87EF-242182C7DC39.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 8B640231-1484-4044-A727-B112E169EA97.jpeg
    8B640231-1484-4044-A727-B112E169EA97.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 226
Do you happen to have a picture of how you routed your swap?
I gave you a diagram in the linked information. It also matches the routing in your post above.

In one of the pictures I can see the alternate pulley mounting point just behind the AC muffler. That's would be where the ribbed pulley would go. A smooth pulley would go in the current ribbed pulley location.

GATES 38006

I don't know what else I can tell you. Either get the shorter belt or add the extra pulley. Ford makes slight changes all the time for various reasons. I suspect the changed routing was done to improve contact area around the alternator pulley. Further it happens all the time where the database has part errors.

I have even had parts stores send the wrong part. I have even had it happen where the label on the outside match the correct part but there was a different part on the inside of the box.

Another possibility. Does your car have under drive pulleys? If so this might be a clue to the mystery why it is not fitting.

Or go to your local autoparts store and have the current belt measured. Try a shorter size.

Last edited:
I gave you a diagram in the linked information. It also matches the routing in your post above.

In one of the pictures I can see the alternate pulley mounting point just behind the AC muffler. That's would be where the ribbed pulley would go. A smooth pulley would go in the current ribbed pulley location.

GATES 38006

I don't know what else I can tell you. Either get the shorter belt or add the extra pulley. Ford makes slight changes all the time for various reasons. I suspect the changed routing was done to improve contact area around the alternator pulley. Further it happens all the time where the database has part errors.

I have even had parts stores send the wrong part. I have even had it happen where the label on the outside match the correct part but there was a different part on the inside of the box.

Another possibility. Does your car have under drive pulleys? If so this might be a clue to the mystery why it is not fitting.

Or go to your local autoparts store and have the current belt measured. Try a shorter size.
I added the pulley and it worked thank you so much

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 261

GATES 38006

Quick question when you added the grooved pulley under the smooth pulley does the groove pulley spin?