$3-$4 a Gallon for Premium Gas + 18 mpg Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM Dude said:
I know, I know, the latest rumors again this year, are that Gas prices will hit $3 a gallon this summer and stay high. Of course everyone with a good ole' v8, no matter what make, will be hit hard, unless your rich, course my grand prix with a 3.1 gets 17-20 mpg :notnice: and I'm 17. Anyways, think of high gas prices in a good way, if gas prices hit $4 a gallon, there goes half of the sales for the Mustang right there, Ford will drop the prices like a boulder from a building, the cars will become real cheap. Course only rich people will be able to feed a gas pig at those prices. :shrug: Of course this will be me, if gas prices hit that high with my grand prix :bang: :bang: :bang:

Why does your 3.1 Grand Prix get such lousy mileage? I rented a 3.4 liter Grand Am last week and averaged 30 mpg over 600 interstate miles.

• Sponsors (?)

Ron Jeremy said:
I have no clue ab0out what you mean here. Is the LS1 engine the Corvette engine or the Camaro/Firebird engine? There is no way that a V8 LS1 engine can get 30 mpg on the highway. Maybe more like 23 to 25 but not 30 mpg.

The LS-1 IS the Corvette engine and it IS the Camaro/Firebird engine. GTO, too. My LT-1 is getting 29 MPG on the highway, and it is a (very) slightly less efficient engine than the LS-1. (actually almost the same but cast iron vs the LS-1's aluminum). 30 should be easy with a 6-speed and tall RE gears.

The only reason the gas mileage is marketedly good on an ls1 is because it has a 6 speed with higher / taller 5th and 6th gears. If you put a 6 speed in a GT it would have even better gas mileage than any ls1. It would also feel sluggish with the lackluster gear ratios.

kirkyg

Wylde said:
Premium gas here in Edmonton, AB (Canada) is already at $4.50 a gallon. We make the damn stuff but our goverment taxes it to death. We are used to that kind of price since it's been in that area for at least 3 years. That doesn't mean we like it, it's a constant item of complaint by anyone who drives.

I am still going to buy a v8 since it will NOT be a daily driver, just a toy. I have a 4 cyl mini truck as my daily driver. I consider it the price to pay for enjoyment.

$4.50/gal? Oh dear lord. That's still over $3.30/gal USD. Eek. I have to put premium in my Audi, and that's gonna be costly when I go up to Canada this summer for a few days. Guess I better fuel up in Maine before I cross over then. Do you know what the cost is like in PEI?

Around here (southeast PA), I'm paying about $1.79/gal for Sunoco 94 Ultra (my car only ever sees Sunoco 93 or 94!) I'm not keen on paying double that! $70 to fill the tank is obscene!

I hate to admit it but bring the SVO back. Iron Block 4cyl. with a nice turbo and you're looking at 300hp. Hell, you have SRT-4s doing that now with stage 3 upgrades. You have Civics pushing 300+ fwhp (granted it's a different engine than stock) but it's a 4 banger that gets 30mpg+. The STI and EVOs are there and they have 4 cylinders. You don't really need a V-8 to get hp. That V-8 is there for sound and displacement. Keep the 4-banger RWD and toss some nice gears in it and I'm sure you'll find a happy median.

You know, if gas prices do skyrocket like that, which yeah they may get to over $2 again but $3-4 may be pushing it, but then again they pay that in Europe, Asia, etc. They wont lower the prices of the Mustang or raise the price, they will just build less gas guzzlers and build more economic cars, like the Focus, and Honda will be busy building Civics. Ford and any other company will not mass produce something they can't sell. If gas prices skyrocket, I will not run out to buy a Mustang even if they lower the price of the car. Altough they claim the new engine, and this is all rumors of heard, will have a 25+MPG, so who the heck knows what will happen.

skywarp said:
Your car fairly stock is great. Add the real performance pieces that make the LS1 an awesome performer and watch the mileage go down. Do the cam and head swap that virtually every Ls1 owner does and the car won't be so hot.

Um you're missing the point entirely. The initial post in this thread obviously refered to stock fuel economy of the new stang. And given my cars are/were next to stock (as even you pointed out), they're relevant to this discussion. So why would you bring a modifed H/C etc. LS1 into the equation? :bang:.. makes no sense for you to do so...

Oh and what are you on about?.. "awesome performer"? Seems to be 345-350 HP crank with said fuel economy is pretty awesome for a stocker.

Z28Marcus said:
Um you're missing the point entirely. The initial post in this thread obviously refered to stock fuel economy of the new stang. And given my cars are/were next to stock (as even you pointed out), they're relevant to this discussion. So why would you bring a modifed H/C etc. LS1 into the equation? :bang:.. makes no sense for you to do so...
No, he says quite cleary that all V-8 will be hurt by a fuel price increase. He also mention his grand prix. The only mention of the new stang is that its sales may be hurt as well. Not to offend you or nothing, but I don't think its wrong for people to discuss those things on here.

awalbert88 said:
Do you know what the cost is like in PEI?

http://www.garnetknight.com/gas/locations.php
When you are ready to go...click on this link and find the city you are driving to (and the ones you may need to fill up in) this link gives the cost for regular. Premium around here is usually about 7 cents more and you need 3.8 litres for 1 US galon. Then the last thing is to do the currentcy conversion.

spanky442 said:
No, he says quite cleary that all V-8 will be hurt by a fuel price increase. He also mention his grand prix. The only mention of the new stang is that its sales may be hurt as well. Not to offend you or nothing, but I don't think its wrong for people to discuss those things on here.

Heh.. Not offended... it's just bollocks for someone to start talking about modified cars :).

TrueBlueCajun said:
I hate to admit it but bring the SVO back. Iron Block 4cyl. with a nice turbo and you're looking at 300hp. Hell, you have SRT-4s doing that now with stage 3 upgrades. You have Civics pushing 300+ fwhp (granted it's a different engine than stock) but it's a 4 banger that gets 30mpg+. The STI and EVOs are there and they have 4 cylinders. You don't really need a V-8 to get hp. That V-8 is there for sound and displacement. Keep the 4-banger RWD and toss some nice gears in it and I'm sure you'll find a happy median.

A 300HP Turbo 4 cyl. gets worse gas Milage than a V8 and puts out less power. Why would someone want that in a Mustang. Go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov and you can see what every car gets.

STI = 18/24
Z28 = 19/28

Just think about what people would be saying now if Ford had announced a 5000 run anniversary issue of the SVO in a 300HP Turbo I4 or Turbo I5 (Volvo) configuration for 2004 1/2.

Even in the old body style and priced at 26 or 27K my guess would be a sell out of such a car before it even started production, and higher order percentage stats than even the 2005 V6 until it was sold out if both came available to order on the same day.

Z.

Wylde said:
Premium gas here in Edmonton, AB (Canada) is already at $4.50 a gallon. We make the damn stuff but our goverment taxes it to death. We are used to that kind of price since it's been in that area for at least 3 years. That doesn't mean we like it, it's a constant item of complaint by anyone who drives.

I am still going to buy a v8 since it will NOT be a daily driver, just a toy. I have a 4 cyl mini truck as my daily driver. I consider it the price to pay for enjoyment.

Actually, according to current free trade agreements, Canada is not allowed to sell gas at lower rates domestically than what it is sold the US, then taxes are added. It has been that way since the agreement was signed years ago (THANK YOU BRIAN MULROONY!).

Status
Not open for further replies.