3.73 and t-lok

mooses

May 17, 2005
I have an 02 auto with only a densecharger, and I'm thinking about going with tlok and gears next. I know people say manuals should go 3.73 and autos should go with 4.10 but I wasn't sure if I could handle the change in mpg. I was looking at http://www.stangparts.com/home.cfm?section=products/index go to "rear suspension" and then page 4 and they have used tlok and 3.73 gears. At gefracing, a new tlok costs just as much as both of the used ones, so I was wondering if there is a big risk by buying a used tlok and gears. In the link, would the tlok work with the gears? For the tlok it says "8.8, 28 spline, STOCK, traction lok" and for the gears it says "Ford, 7.5, 3.73, includes ring gear, pinion & pinion nut. This is a used unit." Does it matter that one is for the 8.8 rearend and the other is for 7.5? I'm just trying to make sure that if I get both I would have everything needed for the mechanic to install it. If there is something else I'm missing, I'd appreciate any advice. :)

• Sponsors (?)

Theres definately a risk with used stuff and if its not too much more you'd be better off going new. You would need both parts for a 7.5 and the only thing you would need after the t-lok and gears should be available at the mechanic. This being the gear oil itself and the friction modifier. When you do this tho, you'll be rewarded with better throttle response and obviously better acceleration. I got 3.27's which for mine is similiar in gearing as if you were to go with 3.73's and I've seen no change in mileage for better or worse. It takes less throttle to maintain highway speeds going up decent hills and whatnot.

Like said, the 8.8" won't fit on your 7.5" rear. I'd say buy new gears and t-lok but I think besides that and the friction modifier you'll need a gear install kit I believe. I think those are like 80 bucks too. I could be wrong about that though.

DOIT! ... the mileage difference isn't really that noticeable.

Mines a 5spd with 3.73s, and being able to stay in 5th on the highway and still have power to pass someone, is really nice! :) ... mind you im coming from having a 2.3, so anything is faster :)

ZeroCulture said:
DOIT! ... the mileage difference isn't really that noticeable.

Mines a 5spd with 3.73s, and being able to stay in 5th on the highway and still have power to pass someone, is really nice! :) ... mind you im coming from having a 2.3, so anything is faster :)

i also have a 99 5-speed and my 3.73 gears are on the way, one question though... was the there a big diference in accel? I'm really anxious to get them in! :banana:

Prancing_Pony said:
i also have a 99 5-speed and my 3.73 gears are on the way, one question though... was the there a big diference in accel? I'm really anxious to get them in! :banana:
probably not as much from 3.27's to 3.73. From 3.27's to 4.10's I did.