3:73 or 4:10 Please help me!

huskerpower02

Aug 21, 2003
KS
I know you all are sick of hearing about which gearing people should get, but i just got a bunch of cash and this is the section of the forum that i post in the most. I have a Auto 95 GT and i want new gears.

3:73- I want the obvious advantages of these and it still keeps my speedometer somewhere in the ballpark. Im also still concerned a little about the high revs of the 4:10's.

4:10- I want the BIG ADVANTAGES of the 4:10s to wake up my auto, but i dont want to be doing 40 mph and have my speedo reading 65 mph. Like i said above, im worried about the high reving issues. I also dont want to spend more money on getting a correcting device such as a new "tooth" and then have it chewed up a year later.

Please tell me what you all think about this situation and give me a detailed description on why you felt the way you do. thanks a ton!

-Drew

• Sponsors (?)

well with the auto id say 4.10. i did that with mine for a good year and loved it. the white 23 tooth gear is for the 3.73 but will work the the 4.10 just fine. you will be 1mph off for every 10mph you are going. so it reads 55mph you will be going 50mph. i have the same thing with 5spd swap that i did and i dont think twice about the speed im going. took about a month to get used to.

the only thing you have to be careful is when going down into second gear (whether coming to a stoplight that goes from red to green as you approach it or taking a 20mph turn) you can easily tap the redline. other than that, i had no problems at all and never regretted having the 4.10 with my auto. now with my 5spd.....im debating on a 3.73 sometime soon cause the 1 second first gear kinda sucks :(

oh, and on the highway i usually drive around 90mph all the time and i still get decent gas mileage. the rpms are only like 300-400rpms higher than with a 3.73 (someone can correct me on that but i think its somewhere in the ballpark of that)