3.73 Rear Axle Package on an Auto Transmission

Will_729

Sep 8, 2009
I soon will be a proud first time Mustang GT owner. I am gathering up a huge down payment for my mustang gt that I will be ordering by the end of the year.

But first, I have a few questions; I am buying an automatic transmission for a few reasons. One, being that I live in Los Angeles, California and the traffic through the 101 and 405 is always heavy. If I was to buy a manual transmission would I be spending more gas changing gears than on a auto transmission during traffic?

I've being reading about the rear axle ratio and I keep reading that a 3.73 Rear Axle Package is faster than the 3.55. How is the 3.73 on gas? And finally, is the 3.73 Rear Axle Package option available on a auto transmission? I am asking because on the Ford Site it is not an option on the auto transmission option.

Thank you.

Excited for my mustang. Oh Yeah...I test drove one today.

• Sponsors (?)

on the autos the 3:31 gear is the only option! as far as gas mileage between the auto & manual in traffic I would think some factors would come into play there,stop and go would depend on how much you ride the clutch, I would think and auto would get better mileage.we don't have that problem out here in the middle of no where[lol].. guess it would all depend on how much you liked shifting.I would get the auto and have a set of 4:10sput in the back..my .02

4.10s in that auto is the best idea since sliced bread good bang for the buck and you don't have to worry about driving in bumper to bumper traffic with a stick.