3:73 vs 4:10

RsStanG1987

I shaved all my pubes playing this game.
10 Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
Dupont PA
Im getting gears this week i was thinking 3:73's for my aod 87 but ive heard that 4:10 might be the way to go. This car is my daily driver and gas is expensive theese days so which would be better. I like to drive on the highway also.

• Sponsors (?)

Went through the same dilema the shop suggested 3:73 since I cruise the highway alot at 70, puts me at a comfortable 2300 rpm so I still have playing room!!!!

Go with 373's...they are the best overall gear IMO...the 410's are a bit to much for a stock motor...somepeople have actually lost time going from 373's to 410's...plus you get a lesser cruising rpm which is better on gas and the wear of your engine...

410's NOTHING less! YOu have an aod for gods sake, you NEED the gear. An extra 200-300 cruising rpm will NOT hurt gas mileage. My friend did 410's in his stock 87 GT and he loves them and its not bad on the hwy. Im thinking about 410's in my 5spd car. Trust me, its NOT too much gear for a stock motor. At the track he didnt go into OD. Stick with ford gears!

5spd GT said:
Go with 373's...they are the best overall gear IMO...the 410's are a bit to much for a stock motor...somepeople have actually lost time going from 373's to 410's...plus you get a lesser cruising rpm which is better on gas and the wear of your engine...

Ditto, you can seriously rip through the gears a little too fast with the 4.10's. It's always the same debate, you are GOING to have a faster car the lower of a gear you go. There is however a line where it becomes too much for the street and you don't have much to mess around with on the highway. Although you feel yourself going faster there is the question of weather or not if it's the best choice for your personal driving habits. The guy saying go for 4.10's and don't look back could be the guy that does nothing but race it to death on a stock motor or the other guy saying go for the 3.55's because they are better overall for the car's performance could be the one with a blown cobra engine.

It's all preference, it isn't "which gear is the BEST gear", it's more like what would be the best for your intentions. If you are putting out a lot of power, have it supercharged/turboed, or just want a good overall gear swap, or just have a lead foot, 3.55 is an excellent compromise. If you do a lot of track racing/quarter runs, then 3.73's might be the debate amongst the 3.55's. 4.10s are a different matter, if you have a slug of an aod pushing nearly no power to the wheels and don't mind gas mileage - that might be a better choice.

It boils down to what you are looking to get out of your car, but along with a lower gear comes more rpms, more wear and tear on your engine as a byproduct, much more often than not a decrease in gas mileage depending on how low you go, and one a lot don't consider is if the wrong gear puts you in the wrong shiftpoints (like if at the end of a run you are finding your engine over-revving and you have to shift to 4th at the very last stretch in the 1/4 mile).

Hope this generally helps you a bit
:nice:

Well with my mods i'm going w a 3:73's b/c its going to be daily driven and alot of highway seeing as though i'm going to school in Illinois. Many friends say 4:10's but if i wasnt moving and this was not a dd i would go 4:10 no question. Its a nice gear, it will get the job done on the track and the street. Its going to be blown in about a year in a half anyway so.

Grn92LX said:
410's NOTHING less! YOu have an aod for gods sake, you NEED the gear. An extra 200-300 cruising rpm will NOT hurt gas mileage. My friend did 410's in his stock 87 GT and he loves them and its not bad on the hwy. Im thinking about 410's in my 5spd car. Trust me, its NOT too much gear for a stock motor. At the track he didnt go into OD. Stick with ford gears!

Yours isn't a daily driver...

There are a couple guys on here like willys1 that actually lost time on their bolt-on stang when they went from 373's to 410's...it is to much for the stock breathing motor...and the way the autos drive ratios are...

410's will hurt gas mileage more and more wear on the engine (a higher constant rpm)...

I do agree...stick with the Ford gears...

Go with 373's...with YOUR car...

Yes there is a kit. Many manufacturers make them including ford and should have all of the necessary things in it to get at least a basic job done. Are you trying to tackle this yourself or are you just getting things together for a mechanic to do it?

I wouldn't recommend doing your first one by yourself - find someone that's done it before to work with you or take it to someone. There are a number of special procedures and tools required to set the rear end/back-lash/pinion depth/gear mesh up correctly.

RsStanG1987 said:
Sorry i diddnt know message boards were to search only. But nice faq well detailed.

There is no problem with your post...we all have different cars and want different things out of our cars...so your question was right on :nice:

Get them installed by a reputable shop...

Whats a good rpm to run HW speeds at? You above say your pushin 2300 at 70mph. I would have that thatd be kinda high. I run about 1850 at 70-75 with my stock 3.08 rear. I wanna go 3.73 being I have a 85gt with T5. I am thinking itll put me about 2300 too at 70-75. Is this ok on a pretty much stock 5.0.?
Joe E.