300-350hp How To Get There?

FordConvert

Mar 31, 2012
First off thank you stangnet members, bought my car not running for $1200 and with your help it came back to life. Anyways I'm looking for a jump in power,

The Goods:
1988 Mustang LX 5.0
New performance brakes,
I have 4.10s in the back,
underdrive pulleys,
k&n air filter
and a pair of
glass packs on the exhaust
Explorer intake on its way

There is also a performance cam installed of unknown origin, I can say it does through the speed density computer for a loop at idle at times but not too bad. Car is also an AOD.

So basically the car is stock minus the gears outback. I am looking for advice for the next step.
Goal? Honestly I dont know, would like the car to be a low 13's car so I figure 300-350hp would be required. So how do I get there? Got about $2000 for some toys for the car so I think the first step would be cylinder heads? Trickflow,AFR? I dont want to be notching out valve reliefs in my pistons, can I still use AFR? What about my speed density system? will there be issues? Injectors, throttle bodies, fuel pressure regulators.

Also note I am in Saskatoon Canada and getting some parts are a royal pain in the butt, would be great if I could get some advice to where to purchase some parts from. Others that are not Jeg's or Summit Racing, those I know of.
Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Personally I would go the turbo route. Leave the stock cam alone. Probably would put in some 9333 gaskets and head studs. Do you think you can handle your own tuning? You could look into a megasquirt plug and play stand alone and that way you can stay speed density and be able to make changes yourself. Stock engine+ 10 psi would be around 400 to the tire. Only problem is you have a little to much gear for a turbo. This will cost similar money to a h/c/i or supercharger, make more power and be way faster. Plus its a AOD, turbos love auto's. Just a option to look into.

Easiest way IMO is to either find a used NOS 5115 kit with a 75-125 shot or an A or S trim at 6-8 lbs, proper spark plugs and put in a 255 fuel pump. I've run them both at one time or another on a stock block motor all day long and ran high 12's with some tuning and weight reduction.

I haven't gotten flamed in a while. Here i go....

Whats a late 351 truck motor make for power? 250+ Toss an off shelf cam that will clear the pistons and doesn't have truck characteristics on there. Get an intake and a double sump pan. You will be 300+ The 95 s351 made that power with gt40's and a less aggressive cam. Besides you will have so much left on the table in the future.

I just love 351 motors. Don't hate. lol

Reactions: 1 user

Whats a late 351 truck motor make for power? 250+ Toss an off shelf cam that will clear the pistons and doesn't have truck characteristics on there. Get an intake and a double sump pan. You will be 300+ The 95 s351 made that power with gt40's and a less aggressive cam. Besides you will have so much left on the table in the future.

likeeee. stroking the :poo: out of it:D

454 Displacement!

Any mods on a stock 87-88 speed density Mustang, to acheive 300 + HP, you would need a head, intake and cam upgrade and you would need to convert to mass air for it to run properly.

I think he's talking in terms of 300+ crank HP, not 300rwhp, so if he did similar mods to mine on his lighter weight LX, low 13's should be achievable.

I'm right there with ya. Would love to put a 351 in my car just to say I had one. It would have to be a 90's one, the roller ones.

To start with I'd ditch the exhaust. Glass packs? Really? Something 2 1/2" or greater with an offroad H or X pipe. The AOD may be next to go but hey thats just me. A C4 is a lot lighter and would also help achieve your goal in the 1/4 mile. If the thing runs good sometimes and poor other times, it isn't the cam playing with the speed density. Try pulling codes to see what is causing your issue. Mass Air conversion and a set of good heads would be next, but I'd see if you can narrow down the current problem before introducing new parts.

It's prob not gonna stop at 2,000$. The heads intake and cam will get you too 2,000$.. Then you gotta think about all the little stuff like gaskets, mass air, rockers( if you need stud mount, hardened pushrods), head bolts.. Doe not seem like much but it all add up.. I would go with a gt40 or gt40p head, explorer intake and a nice off the shelf cam.. That will get you low 13's if you can drive.. That combo generally puts you around 265-275hp at the wheels.. So right around 300 at the crank. This will keep you in your budget easily.. You can use stock rockers and pushrods. You will want to get valve springs though. You can have the intake and heads for about 500$. I bet you can get a good running car for under 1,000$ if you run your own wires for the Maf conversion instead of buying a kit.. That's what I did, I think I had 150$ in the Maf conversion when I was done. I will give you a stock Maf meter if you want.

It's prob not gonna stop at 2,000$. The heads intake and cam will get you too 2,000$.. Then you gotta think about all the little stuff like gaskets, mass air, rockers( if you need stud mount, hardened pushrods), head bolts.. Doe not seem like much but it all add up.. I would go with a gt40 or gt40p head, explorer intake and a nice off the shelf cam.. That will get you low 13's if you can drive.. That combo generally puts you around 265-275hp at the wheels.. So right around 300 at the crank. This will keep you in your budget easily.. You can use stock rockers and pushrods. You will want to get valve springs though. You can have the intake and heads for about 500$. I bet you can get a good running car for under 1,000$ if you run your own wires for the Maf conversion instead of buying a kit.. That's what I did, I think I had 150$ in the Maf conversion when I was done. I will give you a stock Maf meter if you want.

:stupid:

with a $2000 budget, a GT40 top end swap would prolly be the best thing for you to do right now. I have GT40 heads and Intake with a F-303 cam. She runs like a beast compared to stock, but that little itch to go faster is never satisfied. Pretty straight forward swap and it can easily be done for $2000

Hey guys, I have a 5spd 93lx 5.0 it's all stock other than being carbed, and while its decently quick i want it to be faster...Here are a few mods that i'd like to do to it hopefully without spending to much on it..It's my first stang so i'm new to the mustang world so I will also have some questions and would like to know your thoughts on these.

Everyones telling me the first thing they would do is upgrade the 2.73's to 3.73's - will I notice a big difference?
Then I'd like to put some GT40P heads on it. Possibly alluminum.
1.7 Roller Rockers.
And then a Cam, maybe Grind cam? or comp cam like e303? - I really need help on this one, which ones do ya'll preferr?
And then some BBK shorty headers.
Underdrive pulleys.

With these mods would i notice a big notice in power? What mods are biggest bang for buck? No nitrous. Also do ya'll have any other suggestive mods that i could do? And with these mods would i have to change some things with the tranny or get a better clutch? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions but like I said I'm a newb and not to familiar with these yet lol So please leave your input.

Thanks Guys and Gals

Hey guys, I have a 5spd 93lx 5.0 it's all stock other than being carbed, and while its decently quick i want it to be faster...Here are a few mods that i'd like to do to it hopefully without spending to much on it..It's my first stang so i'm new to the mustang world so I will also have some questions and would like to know your thoughts on these.

Everyones telling me the first thing they would do is upgrade the 2.73's to 3.73's - will I notice a big difference?
1.7 Roller Rockers.
And then a Cam, maybe Grind cam? or comp cam like e303? - I really need help on this one, which ones do ya'll preferr?
Underdrive pulleys.

With these mods would i notice a big notice in power? What mods are biggest bang for buck? No nitrous. Also do ya'll have any other suggestive mods that i could do? And with these mods would i have to change some things with the tranny or get a better clutch? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions but like I said I'm a newb and not to familiar with these yet lol So please leave your input.

Thanks Guys and Gals

Yes the 3.73's will make a big difference that you will definitely able to feel.
You can find the GT40 and GT40P heads in a junkyard pretty cheap, but I doubt you could find any aluminum ones. I think there is a GT40X head that is aluminum, but those are strictly aftermarket.
But the GT40 heads with a little work and 1.7 rollers flow ALOT better than stock and will bump your power a good bit.
Grab the GT40 intake while you're in the junkyard to go with the heads. Throw in an off the shelf cam (E 303, F 303...etc) and exhaust. I would go with longtubes though. BIG difference from the shortys, without too much more $$.
The guys around here can help with any questions you have regarding your build, but they'll need a little more info such as
What's your intended use for the car?
What's your budget?
What kinda gains are you looking for?

But anyway, welcome to Stangnet and good luck with your build!

1.7 Roller Rockers.
Underdrive pulleys.

Thanks Guys and Gals

Yup gears full exaust and a gt40 setup will feel like a different car.

Thanks guys, also gamecock5.0: to answer your questions it will be mainly a daily driver but this winter i will park it and do the mods to it, and my budget is around $750-$1500 I've only got $3300 in the car with 69,000 miles on it, also biggest gain i want is takeoff and horsepower.

Thanks guys, also gamecock5.0: to answer your questions it will be mainly a daily driver but this winter i will park it and do the mods to it, and my budget is around $750-$1500 I've only got $3300 in the car with 69,000 miles on it, also biggest gain i want is takeoff and horsepower.
69,000 miles and some dumb as* has decided to convert it to carb? :nonono:

Reactions: 1 users