300RWHP Daily Driver Recipe?

DrMaxit

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
Augsta GA
Hey im kinda Noob to this board and im just picking around. Ive looked at this and that combos for whatever app but i wanted to know from the guys with the experience what combo would yeild 300RWHP with the stock rev limit and STOCK bottom end (if not the most some higher comp pistons/rods, but stock crank and bore). I have a 91 notch but the reason im asking here is the motor im getting for it is a 95 5.0. Ill be running 3.73s and a T5 if that makes any difference. Thanks guys.

Chuck

• Sponsors (?)

most popular H/C/I combos yield near 300rwhp with supporting mods of coarse. its really a prefrence on what company you want to go with. some tuning/porting might be required for the 300+mark

AFR, TrickFlow, Edelbrock, Holly all make good quality parts and are popular around here

Im not sure how much you are willing to spend, but edelbrock makes a power package for the Ford 302 EFI. I just checked the website and the package made 367hp. The package includes heads, a cam, intake manifold and headers.

Heres the link to the site:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html

Go to the side bar on the left, click dyno results, and scroll down and click on the Ford section. I would give you a direct link if I could, but it wont let me.

Hope that helps!

Chuck

The fact that you got the older pcm means its not gonna be as fussy as our 94-95 pcm's when going for that 300 benchmark. Some of the fox combos get buy without a custom tune but at that level its usually a wait and see kind of thing with drivability issues. It goes with saying that a custom tune would yield more power anyway.

The 95 motor in your notch (I love those notches btw) makes no difference cause all your gonna use is the short block anyway.

As the others said any of the Aluminum heads like Edelbrock, AFR, TFS will be up to the task. Older iron heads like the GT40 and GT40p will do the job but since the flow in them is not quite as good as the others it requires a bit more effort and thought about combo parts selection. I'd just go with the better flowing heads. Almost forgot, but while we are talking abouts heads I'd go with stud mount rockers cause they are stronger and provide valve adjustment options you don't get with pedestal mount rockers but the studs will cost a bit more.

As for the cam you can go off the shelf or custom. Customs can yield a broad & flat torque curve if you request it from the provider and that kind of tq curve is lots of fun for a street car. I went the custom route and things turned better than I expected IMHO. I have a couple of baseline dyno pulls in the sig if you wish to take a look and most of the AFR/FTI/Edel combos are similar to mine except they've made more power than me.

As for an intake, most of the guys at your desired level go with TFS or Edelbrock. Each one has several choices in their product line.

Headers are the last thing I would bring up cause you can go shortys or long tube. Both types will get you to your goal but the lt's will give better low & mid range torque.....again IMHO for a street car TORQUE IS KING, lol.

You'll also have to upgrade the following:

fuel pump 255lph
fuel injectors 24's with no custom tune......30's with a custom tune
Throttle Body 65mm to 75mm range
Maf 77mm or 80mm ProM
Mid pipe ...... H or X ...... cat or off road
Rockers 1.6 ratio Comp, Crane, Scorpion, etc

There you have it Chuck. Thats the basic stuff I guess but you can get 300 to the wheels on the stock short block for sure cause many on these sites have done it. I got close myself but ran outta money and had to use some of the stock parts which caused me to come up a bit short, lol.

Later
Grady

Hey don't forget the supercharger route. The poster just asked about options to get to 300 rwhp. H/C/I is one way. Turbo is another. SC is yet another.

A Vortech or Kenne Belle kit would get you a long way to your goal without maxing out the boot. If you step up the boost a bit, you could probably hit 300 rwhp (and certainly surpass it with other mods).

Just thought I should throw that out there cause no one else did yet. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me could chime in on the reliability and cost of boost over N/A set ups when shooting for the 300 mark.

BTW - A SC install (expecially a centrifugal style) is arguably easier than an H/C/I.

Holy Smack at the replys batman! Just to brag on you guys a bit this is THE section for helpful information it seems!

Just to clear some things up real fast, I am getting a complete 95GT motor with all accessories, tranny, harness, everything MINUS the ECU for 1500 bucks with 68K on it. So basically this is a double question for you guys, one, how hard would it be to put all this, harness and everything, into a bare empty fox? I figure i could just toss it in there and crank it up? The car never had a 5.0 in it period, it was a 2.3L car that has been stripped completely of everything but an 8.8.

Now that I know what mods to run for 300RWHP, thanks to you guys, I now need to know if its too much hassel to try to make this 95GT motor work with its own harness, or if i should just do it with a fox body donor. Thanks again

shouldnt be too hard as long as you have everything sensors etc, if you dont have everything then get everything and it will be pie....for 300 hp... most people with my setup see close to that. i haven't had mine dynoed or tuned yet but it pulls like a mutha focker.

alot of people will rip on the powerdyne supers on this board, but it was a very easy install and no oil lines to run :nice:

mike

ef200098 said:
shouldnt be too hard as long as you have everything sensors etc, if you dont have everything then get everything and it will be pie....for 300 hp... most people with my setup see close to that. i haven't had mine dynoed or tuned yet but it pulls like a mutha focker.

alot of people will rip on the powerdyne supers on this board, but it was a very easy install and no oil lines to run :nice:

mike

Are you on stock heads man? That looks like a killer setup reguardless. I think I'll add a SC after I get a solid H/E/I combo, if I dont run a SC I'll probably run nitrous.

About the engine swap Im curious as to how different the drivers side harness is between the two. If my factory fox harness will work in that aspect then it should be pie.

Thanks again guys
Chuck

Chuck, if you have access to a fox wiring harness and an A9L, I'd go that route if I were you. The T4MO EEC in the 5 speed 94-95's is a good EEC, but it can be a little more tempermental when it comes to mods, especially cam swaps. My combo of AFR 165 heads, FTI custom cam, an edelbrock performer intake, and all the bolt-ons made 304rwhp/331rwtq, my times are in my sig. My car is DEAD reliable and streetable. It was my DD when I put the combo together.

Dragstr05 said:
Im not sure how much you are willing to spend, but edelbrock makes a power package for the Ford 302 EFI. I just checked the website and the package made 367hp. The package includes heads, a cam, intake manifold and headers.

Heres the link to the site:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html

Go to the side bar on the left, click dyno results, and scroll down and click on the Ford section. I would give you a direct link if I could, but it wont let me.

Hope that helps!

That's for carbs not EFI.

Killercanary said:
Chuck, if you have access to a fox wiring harness and an A9L, I'd go that route if I were you. The T4MO EEC in the 5 speed 94-95's is a good EEC, but it can be a little more tempermental when it comes to mods, especially cam swaps. My combo of AFR 165 heads, FTI custom cam, an edelbrock performer intake, and all the bolt-ons made 304rwhp/331rwtq, my times are in my sig. My car is DEAD reliable and streetable. It was my DD when I put the combo together.

I with Paul on this. You got the harness for a 95 which would make it cake to put it all in a 94-95 BUT you want to put it in a Fox.

It seems to me that there is gonna be some stuff in the Fox body where the 94-95 harness won't be compatable.

Yall know how the Fox has those two big black connnectors on the firewall in the engine bay that everybodys calls salt & pepper shakers. 94-95 don't have those so that might be a prob.

How about the map or bap or some kinda ap sensor that the Fox has but the 94-95 doesn't have. Is that gonna cause a prob.

Just thought about a couple more things that are different.....................
Alternator and ACT sensor.

Not trying to be negative or rain on anybodys parade but just thinkin out loud about some of the issues that MIGHT come up with the older body and newer wire harness.

Sounds like a good deal on the parts you found and good luck with the project.

Later
Grady

Well fellah's i really appreciate your help. So far as the sensors this that and the other (salt and pepper shakers, MAP ect) I dont think that would be so much of a problem if i use the entire 94-95 deal with harness and ECU, but, if its a more tempermental ECU then id rather use a fox setup in my fox (kinda makes sence dont it, haha).

To be honest with you guys I'm starting to consider more and more about a carb setup just for the simplicity of the whole thing. I know FI stuff pretty well but the complexity of the deal is finding everything (at least around here).

Id rather find a short block i dont have to reubild and then slap the combo I want on top of it and "let it ride" as we say. But it seems that if i get a donar car of any sorts im going to have to go through it all, which isn't too big of a problem just more $$ i cant use for my paint job.

You guys are a big help. Thanks!