300ZX Hydraulic Clutch

• Sponsors (?)

Does anyone still have a copy of the PDF or other instructions on using 300zx parts for a Hydraulic Clutch conversion???

I've looked around but can't seem to find a current link.

If needed, you can email it to me at [email protected]

I had a 90 300ZX. I don't think you really want to go to that much trouble and then be stuck with buying parts for a *** car that has been out of production for 11 years. They wern't affordable in 1995 let alone in 2007. There is a set-up for $525 that uses the hydrauloic clutch release bearing. That is what I would use. All itconsists of is the m/c, slave cylinder/release bearing combo, 1 bracket and 2 lines.

WHAT, you cannot use the word iiiJAPiii on this forum?

I had a 90 300ZX. I don't think you really want to go to that much trouble and then be stuck with buying parts for a *** car that has been out of production for 11 years. They wern't affordable in 1995 let alone in 2007. There is a set-up for $525 that uses the hydrauloic clutch release bearing. That is what I would use. All itconsists of is the m/c, slave cylinder/release bearing combo, 1 bracket and 2 lines.

WHAT, you cannot use the word iiiJAPiii on this forum?

Replacement parts for the 300zx are dirt cheap, at least for the MC and slave. Plus they are production car parts so you know that have decent lasting power.

Yeah a Clutch MC is $45 and the Slave Cylinder is $15.... Doesn't get much cheaper than that.

PLUS, they are stocked parts at many autoparts stores so if it needs to be replaced you don't have to source it from the internet.

Now, I don't know the travel specs on the 300zx Slave Cylinder, but it looks about the same as the CNC. And the Clutch MC looks about the same as the Wilwood with the attached reservoir.

I'm not sure I can use the MC from the 300zx since the reservoir's attached, I don't think theres enough room since I have a Brake Booster. Need to go check and measure I suppose. But it does look like I can use the Slave Cylinder.

I'll give you one HUGE advantage. Safety. My friend has a 510 Datsun with a 300zx motor and trans. The slave cylinder on the car is literally lower then the frame rails. If he bottems his suspension out he could brake his slave cylinder. He bought the car like that. He is going to yank the current motor and switch back to a 300zx EFI setup. Right now its carbed. When he yanks it all out and puts it back in he is going to switch out to a hydrolic TO bearing for safety.

Ok, in his case I can see that being an issue. But what about for installs like on the mustang where the slave cylinder isn't in danger of being ripped off?

Fewer parts=fewer troubles. Plus it's not in the way of the headers. You can route the lines ANYWHERE to get to the m/c. Plus it's inside instead of outside where dirt and crap (can we say that here...I mean, I didn't say===****====) can get all over the rod and score the rod and eat away at the seal.

Yes, it's inside where when it fails, your hydraulic fluid soaked clutch is ruined. There are pros and cons to a slave vs a hyd t/o bearing.
Yep...they fail every week in NASCAR, ALMS,WSC, Indy car, F-1, World of Outlaws......
let me see...where else are they used and are noted for failure...there is a reason they cost $300.00....same reason a McClaren M-B SL cost $600,000.00. They are built without compromise. Unlike a 300 Z/X production car part.

First off, sprint cars (world of outlaws) don't have clutches. They don't even have starters.

Second, the McCloud TO bearing has some "issues". My customer did a six speed swap in his 351c powered cleveland, and used one. He's driven the car less than 3000 miles and had it out no less than five times becasue it leaks.

If you use a hydro style TO bearing, I'd highly suggest getting something OE and late model like off a '06 or newer Mustang.

First off, sprint cars (world of outlaws) don't have clutches. They don't even have starters.

Second, the McCloud TO bearing has some "issues". My customer did a six speed swap in his 351c powered cleveland, and used one. He's driven the car less than 3000 miles and had it out no less than five times becasue it leaks.

If you use a hydro style TO bearing, I'd highly suggest getting something OE and late model like off a '06 or newer Mustang.

If I remember correctly, the S197 I was looking under used a slave cylinder. It might have been an 05 but I could swear it was a slave cylinder and not a hydrolic TO bearing.

I went with the Mcload hyd. T/o bearing because ofthe limited space I have since I have a T56 and while I love the pedal feel it just got put back together (150 miles) since the pedal stop allowed for too much travel. Also the fluid is not Hyd. fluid but is actually brake fluid...Much easier on the friction plate.
I hope that is will finally allow me to drive the car with the new Dart heads!

You're right, they don't.

Have you installed a late model Mustang in an early car. I have a Fox bellhousing out in the garage. It has the clutch arm. Will the OE Mustang unit fit and is it an adjustable unit or is it idiot proof? And how much does it cost?

Oh, one other thing, my 300 was a twin turbo and the clutch was power assist.