Engine 302 cam in 351w possible ?

nelio tapia

Mar 31, 2016

neliotapia

New Member​

I got a bare block 351 w off a 95 bronco its a roller cam block. I just picked up a set for gt40 heads off the junkyard. I'm having trouble finding a cam for this set up combo with the gt40 heads . I want a mild street car nothing crazy 350ish hp. Do I order 302 cam ? I can't find 351w hydrolic cam kits all say flat tappet .? Not sure what to do at this point thanks any info helps .

• Sponsors (?)

Yes they are interchangeable. For a mustang you need to use a 302 camshaft in the 351 to keep the HO firing order.

What camshaft you need for a 351 with gt40 heads is another question. This depends on piston to valve clearance. Also, the 351 uses bigger head bolts. The gt40 heads can be drilled for the bigger bolts. I used to always drill my heads out and use the 1/2 351 ARP studs on my 302s. I was convinced it gave me more clamping force on the head gasket. Had to tap the block for the bigger studs also. I usually left that to the machine shop. It would be best to have them drill the heads bolt holes in the gt40s. A regular drill bit can wonder and shift the position of the hole ( I know from experience ).

Reactions: 1 user
Yes they are interchangeable. For a mustang you need to use a 302 camshaft in the 351 to keep the HO firing order.

What camshaft you need for a 351 with gt40 heads is another question. This depends on piston to valve clearance. Also, the 351 uses bigger head bolts. The gt40 heads can be drilled for the bigger bolts. I used to always drill my heads out and use the 1/2 351 ARP studs on my 302s. I was convinced it gave me more clamping force on the head gasket. Had to tap the block for the bigger studs also. I usually left that to the machine shop. It would be best to have them drill the heads bolt holes in the gt40s. A regular drill bit can wonder and shift the position of the hole ( I know from experience ).
Thank you . I'm putting this 351w in my 83 foxbody. Good info

Actually, the HO firing order is the 351 firing order, they are one in the same, so a 351 cam would have the HO firing order.
But yeah,toss a B cam in there. Should work fine and have plenty of ptv clearance.

Reactions: 1 user
While it will work as suggested, i'd consider whether or not this is worth the effort.
You would likely get similar results by swapping the cam/springs on an explorer engine.
Which can be had cheap (like $500 or less complete) and typically weren't beat.
No swap parts to buy, no shortblock to build, has a gt40 style intake already.

Remember, a 93 lightning was only rated at 240hp.
You would be using similar parts.

Reactions: 1 users

[/HEADING][/HEADING]
[HEADING=3][HEADING=3]neliotapia

New Member​

I got a bare block 351 w off a 95 bronco its a roller cam block. I just picked up a set for gt40 heads off the junkyard. I'm having trouble finding a cam for this set up combo with the gt40 heads . I want a mild street car nothing crazy 350ish hp. Do I order 302 cam ? I can't find 351w hydrolic cam kits all say flat tappet .? Not sure what to do at this point thanks any info helps .

[/HEADING]
[HEADING=3]neliotapia

New Member​

If the 351w is a roller a 302 roller cam will work. Firing order is the same a 351w. 13726548.