Engine 302 Intake Manifold

joekurt

Oct 28, 2021
Pennsylvania
I'm afraid I know the answer here, but I hope I'm wrong. I built a 1976 302 out of a Mustang II, long ago. I put 351 Cleveland (I thought) heads on the 302 block. Turns out the salvage yard sold me 351M heads which are truck heads. Anyway, I bought a Street Boss intake manifold from BA Ford Performance out of Fort Smith Arkansas which fit nicely and it ran fairly strong for a street machine. I have now decided to upgrade to AFR 165 heads and really wake up that old 302. So my question is "WILL THAT INTAKE MANIFOLD WORK WITH THE AFR HEADS?" I'm not even sure BA Ford Performance is even in business anymore. I suspect I will need a new intake manifold but I'm not sure. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Sorry, the short answer is no. AFR are the Windsor design and will also require new headers/manifolds compared to the Cleveland style heads.

You could save yourself a couple hundred dollars and go with this:

Or this one:

I run something similar on my 302 with Trick Flows. You can see mine in the thread I posted in my signature. :)

You could save yourself a couple hundred dollars and go with this:

Or this one:

I run something similar on my 302 with Trick Flows. You can see mine in the thread I posted in my signature. :)
Hey, thanks again! I'll check them both out. I'm wondering about EGR vs non EGR? The kit we're building uses a 1976 Mustang II donor car/302 engine. Will we need EGR to pass inspection (in Pennsylvania)?

According to this website you will only have a visual and gas cap inspection, and vehicles driven under 500 miles/year are exempt - and that's all dependent on the county you're in as far as I can tell. Here in Georgia you only need emissions testing in and around the Atlanta metro area and everything 25 years or older are exempt.

According to this website you will only have a visual and gas cap inspection, and vehicles driven under 500 miles/year are exempt - and that's all dependent on the county you're in as far as I can tell. Here in Georgia you only need emissions testing in and around the Atlanta metro area and everything 25 years or older are exempt.
Thank you much! Very encouraging.