302 Street/strip Camshaft Advice

I got a 302 bored .030 over, kb 115 pistons, stock crankshaft, and stock rods. I decided to go with the AFR 165 heads. Looking for a hydraulic roller camshaft that can spin up around 62-6500rpms. Does anyone recommend a specific camshaft? custom grind camshaft maybe? I've looked into Lunati cams and don't personally know anyone who runs these cams in their 302. any input would help! thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Call Comp Cams. You are going to get better advice from an expert for the same price you get novice advice from here. Tech support is there for a reason.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
It'd be hard to find a "streetable" OTS cam that will pull that hard. I would contact Ed at Flowtech Induction. What intake are you running?
There is a decent price variation between Lunati, crane, comp, Anderson, etc...ill give him a call though! I have not bought the intake yet, thinking the systemax or the track heat for what I am going to be doing. Found a local guy selling the track heat for a decent price.

We have a .544 valve lift 112 lsa off the shelf Comp Cam in the Cobra. It idles close to stock. After getting a good tune on it, it was like a stock car. We did a TMoss ported Cobra intake on it. That's with GT40x heads, which flow just a smidge more than AFR165s. I think putting one of those bigger intakes on the car would hurt the driveability more than worrying about the cam. Since you are talking about price, and street manners is your goal, I'd run an off the shelf cam, a Cobra intake, and spend the savings on a really good tune.

Kurt

We have a .544 valve lift 112 lsa off the shelf Comp Cam in the Cobra. It idles close to stock. After getting a good tune on it, it was like a stock car. We did a TMoss ported Cobra intake on it. That's with GT40x heads, which flow just a smidge more than AFR165s. I think putting one of those bigger intakes on the car would hurt the driveability more than worrying about the cam. Since you are talking about price, and street manners is your goal, I'd run an off the shelf cam, a Cobra intake, and spend the savings on a really good tune.

Kurt
GT40 intake makes great Torque at mid rpm and that makes it fun to drive ...i love mine ..

Would it be too much to go with 185s then?

Both the 165s and the 185s are great heads. But you are looking at it backwards. You build the engine to flow what you want it to flow, dyno it, determine the peak power rpm, and the shift accordingly. With either head on a street cam, the engine is going to be way past peak power at 6500rpms. These engines aren't like a 2jz with 3.0L of displacement, the 5.0L of displacement sucks a 220cfm intake port like a straw above 6000rpms. Building an engine to run good at high rpm is the absolute opposite of what you want for the street. That's drag car stuff, where you dump the clutch at 6000rpms, and the engine never goes below 5500rpms. The whole point of the AFR 165 is that it has great intake air velocity at low RPM that gives you gobs of torque down low, for fun on the street. That's what puts you back in the seat when you roll into it in 2nd gear at low speed. Don't worry about the RPM; focus on the overall performance. Shifting a 2 bolt 302 block at 6500rpms is risky enough. My 347cid engine with 192cc heads peaks at 5600rpms, and I shift at 6100rpms for perspective. If you stop focusing on the high rpm, you are going to end up with a much better engine.

Kurt

Reactions: 2 users
Both the 165s and the 185s are great heads. But you are looking at it backwards. You build the engine to flow what you want it to flow, dyno it, determine the peak power rpm, and the shift accordingly. With either head on a street cam, the engine is going to be way past peak power at 6500rpms. These engines aren't like a 2jz with 3.0L of displacement, the 5.0L of displacement sucks a 220cfm intake port like a straw above 6000rpms. Building an engine to run good at high rpm is the absolute opposite of what you want for the street. That's drag car stuff, where you dump the clutch at 6000rpms, and the engine never goes below 5500rpms. The whole point of the AFR 165 is that it has great intake air velocity at low RPM that gives you gobs of torque down low, for fun on the street. That's what puts you back in the seat when you roll into it in 2nd gear at low speed. Don't worry about the RPM; focus on the overall performance. Shifting a 2 bolt 302 block at 6500rpms is risky enough. My 347cid engine with 192cc heads peaks at 5600rpms, and I shift at 6100rpms for perspective. If you stop focusing on the high rpm, you are going to end up with a much better engine.

Kurt
I really appreciate the input! I’m getting the block back from the machine shop in the next few weeks. I’ll call some cam companies, get some information from them aswell.

That’s the thing . You can’t call Ed . It has to all go through email . Brian Freezy gets my vote . Freezy74 from corral .
He uses bullet cores . If you want his contact info pm me .

He is one of the best in my opinion and takes time talking to you to get exactly what you want out of the Combo

I really appreciate the input! I’m getting the block back from the machine shop in the next few weeks. I’ll call some cam companies, get some information from them aswell.

That's the best way to look at it. Calls are free. Make them come to you for business. Everyone is desperate to sell anything right now. Use that to your advantage.

Kurt

That’s the thing . You can’t call Ed . It has to all go through email . Brian Freezy gets my vote . Freezy74 from corral .
He uses bullet cores . If you want his contact info pm me .

He is one of the best in my opinion and takes time talking to you to get exactly what you want out of the Combo

As someone who has had to make formal apology to Ed Curtiss for wrongfully attacking his business practices, I'll post his website. Send him an email. There are many members on this forum that have had great success with his custom camshafts. Just make sure he understands your goals. A full out drag car is not going to have good street manners.

Questions are free; responses bring revenue. It never hurts to ask.

Kurt

He take a while to respond to email? Lol
I never had any luck . When I wanted a cam he flat out didn’t answer . My friend nick who used to be very active here put me in touch with Brian . He’s local to me . Tunes as well and has been doing camshafts since the Laroccas performance days . So Freezy is no amateur at what he does . Nicks ultra car made over 1500 at the tire with Freezy’s cam . My car has made over 720 at the tire and drives excellent . My buddies 337 made 1200 at the tire on alcohol . Brian knows what’s going on for sure . He’s done a bunch of guys cams on the forum as well .

I never had any luck . When I wanted a cam he flat out didn’t answer . My friend nick who used to be very active here put me in touch with Brian . He’s local to me . Tunes as well and has been doing camshafts since the Laroccas performance days . So Freezy is no amateur at what he does . Nicks ultra car made over 1500 at the tire with Freezy’s cam . My car has made over 720 at the tire and drives excellent . My buddies 337 made 1200 at the tire on alcohol . Brian knows what’s going on for sure . He’s done a bunch of guys cams on the forum as well .

I'm not going to get into that. I'd say send them both an email. If someone doesn't respond back, then it's their loss. I'd never give anyone money unless they send me the cam specs they want to grind first. Sometimes things get lost in translation, and you end up with a .612" lift/108 lsa cam shipped to your door.

Be prepared to have specs on hand, like manual or auto (converter if you have one), rear gear ratio, etc. I have a custom cam, and I'm happy with it. It's about $150 more than an off the shelf cam. The thing is, these custom grinders very rarely hear the words "run smoothly at idle." Most people don't go with a custom cam unless they are trying squeeze every last hp they can out of it.

If someone says they want an engine that idles as close to stock as possible, I'm going to say the AFR 165. It has a small but efficient intake cross section that keeps the air velocity high at low rpm. Match that with a Cobra style intake with long runners as well, and that's as good as it's going to get. The Cobra intake was designed to run on a stock car. You don't see Holley and Edelbrock advertising how smooth their intake idles, it's all flow rates, and how much hp they have managed to get out of it.

Kurt

• Useful