302 to 302 engine swap, tranny help

AlbinoCobra

Dec 10, 2004
I have a 95 cobra. When I pull my motor, should I pull the tranny out with the motor or simply unbolt the tranny from the motor. If leaving it bolted to the motor how would I go about doing so.[/B]

• Sponsors (?)

i doubt it will just fall out as long as its still bolted to the crossmember but it may be a good idea to put some kind of jack/support under it to stop any stress

urban96 said:
i doubt it will just fall out as long as its still bolted to the crossmember but it may be a good idea to put some kind of jack/support under it to stop any stress

Yep, it's still mounted to the crossmember, so there would be no need to worry. Once the input shaft slides out of the clutch disc, there will be no load on the shaft.

But like said earlier, I would put the transmission on a jack of some kind. Once you remove the engine, the transmission will likely want to move around a bit, and it makes re-installation much easier to have the transmission supported.
Scott

Sometimes it's hard to find someone who's already pulled an engine, especially the same make and model... but you should look, nevertheless.
If you can't find someone who's done it already, at least find someone to help you. You know, to go call for help... if you get hurt.

So uh, I'm gonna go ahead and be the person who reminds you to be careful. ...and post pics when you drop the engine on yourself.

I dropped the transmission before pulling the engine out. It doesn't take very long and it does help out a lot when pulling the engine. The transmission is not very heavy and you could probably pull it out yourself, but still a good idea to have someone help you and/or use a jack.

It's deffinitely a good idea to remove the shifter before unbolting the trans. At least remove the top half of the shifter, this should only take about 10 minutes at most.

when i pulled my engine to build me 306 i pulled everything together was very easy u just have to have a tall cealing(sp) to go on a sweet angle but it was so very easy to just take apart trand from engine once it was out.

Also when i put it back in i put the engine in with trans and MAC lontubes already on the engine went very smoothly and saves a ton of time versus puttin trans and headers on after the engine is in.

I'm with raginbul469, and I presume you've got some decent equipment? Also, try to remove the radiator and anything else that might get crunched when the motor swings forward. If you do remove the two together, be ready to catch the trans oil when the yolk is removed. Good Luck.