302 to 4 cyl tranny

MagnaflowGT

Oct 3, 2004
I know some of you guys on here have done this before, but what all is needed to mount a 4 cylinder tranny up to a 302 motor. I know you need a new pilot bearing, but is that it? I mean, I know the 4 tranny will start to whine like i needs to shift another gear at around 75mph, so anything to combat that too?

• Sponsors (?)

I got a 2.3L Tranny with my 5.0 It's just geared different. My dad does nothing but trannies for a living and that's what he told me, they're just geared different. Mine has a 3.90 first gear with 3.73s in the rear. Needless to say it "goes."

Anthony

slow93,you don't need to change the bell housing.if for some reason you did,what would you use?i ran my 4cyl. t-5 for almost 2 years before i upgraded to a t-5z.i honestly like the 4 cyl. t-5 more.

so will the 4 cylinder tranny be able to take me up to 140+? or is there something else that i need to change. Because i know in the 4 banger I have, after i changed the mass air meter, i got it to about 123, and it was at 5 grand in 5 gear. and it needed to shift. but it was still gaining speed. so will the pilot bearing solve that problem, and be able to get me to 140?

ratrapp2 said:
slow93,you don't need to change the bell housing.if for some reason you did,what would you use?i ran my 4cyl. t-5 for almost 2 years before i upgraded to a t-5z.i honestly like the 4 cyl. t-5 more.
i dont know how you figure a 2.3 belhousing will mount up to a 302.you have to have a V8 bellhousing for it to work...also you have to have the right clutch fork to go with it..maybe im just confused on what he is asking here...i dont really know what would get you up to 140 i have had mine up to 125 and let off cause of 3 1/2 skinnies up front

hey guys, i have a 4 cylinder trans, and i'm debating to put it on, or use the AOD it came with, and put on a Manual valve body. after the pilot bearing and bell housing are changed, do i need a bigger flywheel, or clutch, cuz this little flywheel looks dinky. please, the 4 cylinder mustang crowd, couldnt help me. i need your advice. thanks

Steve

ok i just went outside, and the bolts for the V8 flywheel, wont fit into the 4 cylinder flywheel holes. and the 4 cylinder bolts are too small for the holes on the V8. they are literally smaller.

Steve

ok... im saying. Like... u have a V8 tranny with a V8 motor. you can get it to 140mph with no problem. But if you have 4 cylinder tranny to a V8 motor, will you be able to still reach 140mph?

and to further more. what ALL is needed to sucessfully mount a 4 banger tranny, to a V8 motor?

ok, so its the gearing. thats all i needed to know..

so the pilot bearing will keep it from grinding? because I got a stang from a guy, and he did a ***** job of converting. It grinds from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes it wont even go into 3rd or 4th gear. Is that because of the pilot bearing. I have a perfectly good 4 tranny and I dont have the funds for a serious swap so i was wanting to do this, and not have to worry about grinding or anything like that.

i have a couple questions,

1. when i put on the V8 bell housing, do i need the V8 flywheel?

2. do i need the V8 starter?

other than the bell housing and the pilot bearing, what do i need from the V8.
because, we think, if we use the 4 cylinder flywheel the starter wont even touch the flywheel. sorry, what did you mean by disk, did you mean the flywheel, or the clutch? please, anybody that was done this to their mustang or someone elses mustang. i just need accurate info. because i'm, going to do this based on the information here. also if anyone has web links to write ups, please post.

~Steve