Engine 302 Vs. 302 H.o.

• Sponsors (?)

The Block, crank and rods are the same, the differences are

• HO 5.0 came with 225 HP non HO 5.0 had 150 HP
  • HO have E7 heads, non HO use the E6 heads.
  • HO have forged psistons with valve reliefs, non HO are cast and flat top
  • HO has a hotter cam than the non HO. Some non HO are flat tappet cams.
  • All HOs have a roller timing chain while pre 1988 non HO do not
  • HO motors have 19# injectors, non HO use14#
  • The HO upper Intake and throttle body opening 58MM vs non HO 50MM
  • HO have ss headers, NON HO 5.0 has cast iron exaust manifolds

Reactions: 1 users
The tubular style factory 5.0 headers used to be pretty stainless steel before the heat and time rusted them....interesting.

the 87-93 ho motors have forged pistons,im pretty sure the 86 ho has forged pistons but theres no fly cut so u cant fun a good size cam.the regular 302 say in a crown vic has cast pistons and usally the e6 lower compression heads.the cam in a ho has the better firing order 13726548 where the reg 302 has the :poo:ty firing order. the blocks are the same. the crank is the same and the rods are the same.
ps 87-93 ho motors are a dime a dozen

The cam question is tricky. It depends on firing order, lifter style, valve clearance,....can't say that any 302 cam would work.
As to HO motors being cheap and a dime a dozen? Deals are out there if you look, but the prices are well up over what they were a few years ago and the days of pulling a running explorer engine from the jy are practically behind us as well.

A solid functioning engine/tranny will fetch over a grand these days. That's over a third of what most of these cars are worth.

I got the motor (block, pistons, heads, shorty headers, cover) for $100 from a friend. I got a coworker who has a x303 roller cam new in box and crankshaft for $100 as well. I paid $800 for the mustang roller itself.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk