306 vs 347 stroker

• Sponsors (?)

Ummm i don;t know where sum of you have been. Mahle is one perfect example of where the 347 doesn't have the issues they use to. Their pistons, with eagle 4340 forged crank, rod, and all the rest will last as long as any 331, or 306 out there. No matter the amount you are pushing out of it. The blocks bore is bored out thirty over no matter what. Get a sportsman or dart block and stop the worrying. this old school 347 worries is lame. :notnice:

Oh i was an engineering major, now a geo major because engineering was booooring. Anyways, after all the thermodynamic, and fluid dynamics and other bull****, im telling you right now, between a 302 & and a 347, if done RIGHT, there is no difference in wearing!!!!!!!! Most of its is up to the casting of the block.

Whether or not the 347 has the issues "fixed" compared to what it used to have. If you take two engines with every variable as close to or perfectly align as possible (including the wind speed against the car on the interstate:)) the 306 will simply last longer due to reasons expressed above due to piston travel (more ring wear).

Very simple...

Man, look what I started!

I never said that you couldn't build a reliable 347. I sugguested that he get a smaller displacment motor because it would last longer in a daily driver. It's really up to the original poster if he wants to do it or not.

89white50 said:
Oh i was an engineering major, now a geo major because engineering was booooring. Anyways, after all the thermodynamic, and fluid dynamics and other bull****, im telling you right now, between a 302 & and a 347, if done RIGHT, there is no difference in wearing!!!!!!!! Most of its is up to the casting of the block.

:bs: Just tell us it's 'cause you couldn't hack it :p ... takes mental fortitude to solve and invent, learn and apply ... some people aren't cut out for it ... as your understanding is testimonial in itself. :D

Yes, if "DONE RIGHT" a doctored 347 will last as long as an undoctored 306 ... but comparing apples to apples and money to money, one has to have a decent bank account to get it done right, if longevity is the main goal ...

One well studied in thermodynamics and not too much in "fluid" dynamics :cheers: should concur :nice:

There is less clearancing needed in the 331 kit. Also, there are reduced rod ratios and lesser angles....etc, etc.

Someone want to brush up on Thermo or Heat Transfer with me..? I've got some good notes.

iv talked to a few ppl now, and theres a guy in my town here with almost my exact set up thats in my 306 but in his 347 and he's running 10.9's all motor.....i also wanna build this motor for a nice big shot of nitrous for the occasional blast

I'm not a engineering major or whatever, but turning wrenches for a living has taught me that it's all about setup and quality. The right parts put togeather right will work right, right? Of course there are always trade offs, but if longevity is such an issue, why even bother with a old Ford? What's the next argument, the 347 is junk because the gas milege is better with a 306? We can go three pages with that, once again, setup could make all the difference.

ya exactly, im not worried about longevity, heck the way i drive the car it dont matter what motors in it its gonna let go sooner or later.....lol, and when it does let go ill get another and another....347 it iz..now i gotta start looking at what stroker kit i wanna get and prices

Here, this is the simplest way, and it works, i've seen it in person many times.

Ford motorsport 347 $2300 bucks, brand new. Made with the sportsman block, and hypertectic pistons. Or for 2800 same engine with forged pistons.

Do not look in the 04 ford racing catalog, it doesn't tell all, the 05 does.

It's unlikely you can even build a 347 out of the weak stock block for $2300. (hell, you may not even be able to build a 306 for that much).

BTW, on a street car, with Victor heads, victor EFI intake, custom cam, i've seen 444 to the wheels, and 10.70 in the quarter.

The hypertectic version is meant to last, the hypertectic pistons do NOT expand and contract, thus they don't scratch up the cylinder walls, so the engine lasts longer.
Factory reliability out of a 347.

89CopCoupe said:
:bs: Just tell us it's 'cause you couldn't hack it :p ... takes mental fortitude to solve and invent, learn and apply ... some people aren't cut out for it ... as your understanding is testimonial in itself. :D

Yes, if "DONE RIGHT" a doctored 347 will last as long as an undoctored 306 ... but comparing apples to apples and money to money, one has to have a decent bank account to get it done right, if longevity is the main goal ...

One well studied in thermodynamics and not too much in "fluid" dynamics :cheers: should concur :nice:

Damn… I respect your knowledge and ability to apply it to get a degree and more importantly to apply it to life, but you don’t have to be an arrogant ******* about it (like I have found many engineers to be).
I know many, many people that can literally use their knowledge to do whatever they wanted as long as that is what they applied it to.
To say that someone couldn’t "hack it" because they said that it didn’t interest them is ridiculous. To learn and apply knowledge is based on an interest. Not which field your knowledge best suits.
Thanks for you contributions; just quit going around like you king **** because you've got a degree.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to see someone take a 306,331, and 347 with all the exact same parts "except for the different strokes" and run them all until they die. In theory the 306 should last the longest but there is more to life then theory. So when you factor in all the endless variables of life like how it is driven, the builder, and every thing you can think of; **** gets messed up. Like it was stated: the way they drive the engine is not going "die of natural causes" so to say, it is going to blow sooner or later.
I would say to hell with theory on this argument, build the engine for what it is going to be used for, DO IT RIGHT, and live life and have fun. :banana:

I wouldn't sweat it, some things look great on paper but don't work out in the real world. Working as an auto tech, I can tell you that none of the engineers who designed cars ever actually tried to work on the cars. Some lessons can't be taught in a school.

accidentprone86 said:
... To say that someone couldn’t "hack it" because they said that it didn’t interest them is ridiculous. Thanks for you contributions; just quit going around like you king **** because you've got a degree.:

:rlaugh: Ouch, did I strike a nerve :banana: ... ... whatever you say Burger "King"
(Go back and read my post you're referring too .. I used the little smilie guys to show jest :rolleyes: )

accidentprone86 said:
I would say to hell with theory on this argument, build the engine for what it is going to be used for, DO IT RIGHT, and live life and have fun. :banana:

(He says as he drives a car designed by ******* engineers like me :D)

90mustangGT said:
I wouldn't sweat it, some things look great on paper but don't work out in the real world. Working as an auto tech, I can tell you that none of the engineers who designed cars ever actually tried to work on the cars. Some lessons can't be taught in a school.

I'm with you on that one ... ohhh how I know your pain :nonono:

However many things look great on paper, and Voila! ... work out in the real world as well ... like the new MGW shifter I just ordered :banana: