31 Spline Rear Build Up

It looks like I definiately did blow out my rear last week so I'm gonna go ahead and rebuild the whole thing. I need help putting together a parts list down to the last small pieces. I know I want to go with Superior 31 spline axles, but what diiferential? I was thinking something like this...click. Will this work? will it work with ABS? I'll be reusing my 4.10 gears, if they aren't damaged, but what else do I need? gaskets and seals?

Thanks
Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Why would you put an open differential in your car? I heard they are a little noisey, but a detroit locker is about the strongest posi. Eatons are nice and can be rebuilt if something breaks. But I've seen 2 of these break on a car with drag radials. Auburns are strong, but when they break you can throw the whole thing away. I've also been told to stick with the stock carrier and pack extra clutches in the posi. I'm just waiting for mine to explode.:D

I dont think the f250 uses a t-loc... I think they are some kind of dana (60,70,90), for some reason I want to say they did not have a 8.8 I may be off esp. on the new-er body style ones.

that cobra one does seem kinda nice too...you could prob get a decent 8.8 31spline t-loc out of a f150 and built for under 200$

The newer style f250/350 uses a Dana 50/60 (depending on year/model) front axle, and a Ford (Sterling) 10.5" rear axle, with limited slip as an option. The 10.5 rearends look HUUUUUUGE, lol.

By far the most expensive, but, IMO, the best on the market is the Detroit True-trac. It's all gears and cones - no clutches, is supposed to make absolutely no noise (and many have said that this is true) and is supposed to fatigue much slower than the standard posi-traction.

Mine should be up and running within the next month (hopefully), and I plan on doing some sort of write up after everything is installed.

Joe

Alright, I know the cobra isn't the best diff out there, but I think it should be fine for my 99% street driven car. I also think I'd rather spend the $250 rather than going to a junk yard for an F150 diff and not knowing what I'm getting.

So here's the list:
Superior axles $250 from Summit
03 Cobra diff $250 from johnbeakleyford.com
4.10 gears already installed

anything else I need? The superior axles come with bearings and seals, but is that all of the bearings and seals I'll need to rebuild the whole rear? anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks

I have used and seen the 8.8 T-loc take some serious abuse. All 31 spline 8.8 carriers use the larger 7/8" pin rather than the 28 spline 3/4" pin. The best value out there is the Ford 31-spline T-loc and it can be repacked with a $50 kit easily.

If you don't use the 31spline T-loc than a Detroit is the only other way to go IMO.

And since we're looking that the situation right now...I have a nice Ford 31 spline T-loc sitting around that I'd be happy to sell for $100 plus shipping if you'd like it.

yes i do have the 03 cobra diff and love it. i don't have slicks, but i have 295 r-compund tires and it handles those very well.

you'll need carrier bearings and pinion bearings. they should come in a master rebuild kit.

torsens are the heater if you want to spend the money. why not throw in a rear girdle while your in there. having a drain plug is very nice.

So what all comes with the cobra diff when you order it. The website above didn't work. I already picked up a rebuild kit awhile back when I got my 3.73's that have been sittin in my room for over a year. Is it just the carrier for $250.

Jeremy

DARK-5.0 said:
So what all comes with the cobra diff when you order it. The website above didn't work. I already picked up a rebuild kit awhile back when I got my 3.73's that have been sittin in my room for over a year. Is it just the carrier for $250.

Jeremy

Where'd you get the rebuild kit and what exactly does it include?

I already have a rear girdle so thats taken care of.

So I'll be getting:
1. Axles
2. Cobra diff
3. rebuild kit
anything else...

i had a cobra diff in my 01 with mosers and 4.10s. I got it from my tech that pulled it out of a car under warranty. I needed something quick since i grenaded my stock diff after 100+ passes along with the ring and pinion(carrier pin snapped)so I just had him slap it together with mosers and a cheap set of used 4.10s and i put about 150slick launches on it. it was in need of a refreshening when i pulled it though.

my preference for peace of mind:
spool
detroit locker
all other 31 spline diffs