331 Almost complete- tell me what you think

Gibbo97

Founding Member
Apr 20, 2001
Macon, GA
Almost finished with the build of my 331 going into my 95 gt vert- so far we pulled the motor and tranny and repainted the engine bay the future color of my car (House of Kolor Shimmering basecoat Cobalt Blue) and installed a UPR K-member kit with coilovers.

The specs on the motor are:

302 block machined and notched for an Eagle 331 stroker kit w/probe pistons with 9.5 compression, Probe Pistons cut for TW heads
Comp Cams Extreme Energy XE274HR-12 cam (valve lift .555/.565 duration 224/232, lobe lift .348/.354, lobe separation 112)
Twisted Wedge Track Heat heads (ported and gasket matched)
TW Street Heat Intake
75 mm TB
75 mm Mass Air Calibrated to 30lb injectors and CAI
BBK CAI
30 lb injectors
BBK shorty headers
1.6 RR

other things going in as well are:
255 LPH intank fuel pump
Trunk Battery Relocation kit
Spec stage 2 clutch
Tremec T-56
Steeda Triax Shifter
aluminum DS
Wazee pulleys (idler, tensioner, and PS pulley)

Currently I have installed:

3.73 gear, Lakewood Traction Action LCAs, bilstein shocks, MM 4bolt CC plates, H-pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Tweecer R/T, PLX M-300 WB O2, Fluidyne Radiator, Cobra brake upgrade kit

Spent most of the day putting all the wiring harnesses back in place and removing the accessory brackets and accessories (PS, A/C compressor and alternator), and cleaning them up for repaint (we have painted the motor the same cobalt blue and used silver as well)

Hopefully tomorrow we will be able to drop the motor and tranny in and see how everything mates up (still have to get miscellaneous parts like new sensors, plugs, etc.) It's been a scary but exciting experience (just hate seeing my car in a million pieces :p) but it's been progressing well. I'll see if I can post some pics soon, but wanted to hear some comments.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

It is a stock production block- I think it should be fine for the application, as for the stickers they will be gone when the exterior is repainted the same as the engine bay. I decided to use the street heat intake for more low end torque, being a convertible it's a bit portly (hopefully with the weight reduction I can get it down to around 3400lbs) so low end torque would be more desirable than top end power. Thanks all for the responses so far!

Everything looks really good man. Im just curious why you chose some of the parts you did? Why a small shorty header? Why a street intake? Why only 9.5:1 (unless your gonna s/c) I'd use a 1 3/4" longtube and a TFS R intake. If not a TFS R, then a rpm 2 or a holley. Or a track heat upper, but IMO it might be a bit small but should work decent with what you have.

Gibbo97 said:
It is a stock production block- I think it should be fine for the application, as for the stickers they will be gone when the exterior is repainted the same as the engine bay. I decided to use the street heat intake for more low end torque, being a convertible it's a bit portly (hopefully with the weight reduction I can get it down to around 3400lbs) so low end torque would be more desirable than top end power. Thanks all for the responses so far!

The extra cubic inches will give you the low end torque you need. I think a Trickflow R or RPM II or a Holley intake would suit you better. Larger headers probably would have helped too but we'll see. Let us know how she performs once you get her on the street. I'm planning on getting a 331 shortblock hopefully within a year, so I'll be anxious to hear how yours runs.

Question: Was it hard to install the k-member, A-arms, and coilovers? Was it hard to line up and stuff? Did you have to do any modifications to get it to bolt up or did it fit right in? I want to do the same to my car but the price and everything seemed to good/easy to be true so I figured the install would be a PITA.

lol subframes aren't wooden- lol that's some rust is all :p nothing like home made ones :)

As for the K-member it went in rather easily, only had to make one slight (hammer) adjustment to get the steering rack to fit, as for the coilovers it was a no brainer, but the first place I'm going to when I get her started up is an alignment shop. As for adjusting the ride height it's as easy as getting the weight off the springs and adjusting them.

One item about the UPR set, it set the engine back a little bit so you should be aware of that (around an inch or so, putting in the aluminum driveshaft was real fun)

I decided to leave the compression low so down the road we can look at a power adder, and yes longtubes would have been nicer, but I decided to stay with the short-tubes for now.

The new headers are chrome BBKs for a 93 so no egr bung in the header, since we got rid of all the EGR and smog equipment (weee no emissions testing in middle GA :p) and using the TWEECER software I can disable it so it won't throw a code.

There are just a few little things left, new belt, a few bolts, a new trickflow elbow adapter (the ported one "walked away" apparently :\), AN adapter for the fuel rail, and hopefully we'll be able to fire her up tuesday. So far so good!

Thanks again for all the replies :)

EDIT: and yes those are the one piece headlights. They have a blue lense for the projector but the flash on the camera makes it look like they are on. I got those at www.4caroption.com but I think you can get them on ebay as well. Once we repaint the car exterior that same blue we used on the interior I think they will complement the car more.

The color looks bright blue but without the flash and light the color is almost a dark purple (I guess to the pearlesence in the paint). Needless to say I'm excited to see how will all turn out :)