331 Need More Hp

Dan gibson

Jul 31, 2017
I have an 88 foxbody t top. Want to be able to run high tens low 11s. I have frame tied back seat delete. I have vic jr heads performer intake. Not sure why the previous owner put a performer intake with Vic jr heads. Also has 75mmTB converted to mass air has long tubes as well as a cam not sure sure of specs. Still stock 19lb injectors I have 24lb ones on the way. Plan on doing all msd with a 6al box once i get more $$. What would I have to change or add to achieve this. aslo what kinda hp do you guys think this setup is making just curious. And what kinda hp to run high 10s low 11s? Was thinking maybe upper 400s to achieve this what do ya think. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I think the msd stuff is going to leave you stranded.... alot.... lots of problems with that junk.

Save your money from the msd stuff and put it tward a tune. A tune alone will make a noticeable difference.

I was just going to say that during my 347 swap readings, the popular conclusion is that the stock ignition is strong until you start spinning to above 6700 rpms. Shed weight as much as you can, optimize your rear end gear and suspension, and practice getting your 60's dialed in.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't waste any money on ignition upgrades. I'd go straight to a 42lb injector (24's are too small for a stroker build) and they will allow you room to grow. Use a edelbrock victor efi intake and a custom cam. I don't know your exhaust but it should be at least 1 3/4" longtubes. 10 second capability is simple with a stroker. The good thing is you have some parts that you can sell once you remove them.

You definelty need a bigger intake and with the cam being unknown, it should be considered to be replaced. 30 lb injectors will barely get you by, 42 will be better. Definitely a good exhaust, and a minimum of 10:1 compression.

Good tires and suspension are a must, and trans, as you will need to cut some 1.6x or better 60ft times. Lose as much weight as you can do without. 10's out of a n/a 331 will take some planning and won't happen with a daily driver, cruising around town combo.

My ride is fairly heavy at 3360 lbs. It's a home built 331, 10.7:1, AFR 185's, Holley intake, 30lb injectors, big tube shorties, 5spd. It has cut a best 60ft of 1.57. It's best 1/4 has been an 11.79 on a 1.67 60ft. I think is makes around 370rwhp. I am hoping that my newly added NX kit with a 100 rwhp jet will take it to a 10.9x, but it may take more.

HP is only part of the combo, weight and suspension are equally as important.

Joe

Reactions: 3 users
Agree some how I made 469 rwhp with a 331 using a MSD 6al programable and MSD Ford style coil.

Not sure those heads will get you there comfortably or without lots of compression...I run AFR 205 with a solid roller. Best run to date is 11.18. Goal is 10.99.
I have a build/progress thread.
Scott

Reactions: 1 users
My MSD 6al was bought from a guy in 2006 or 7. That thing road with me faithfully for years daily driven and may make its way into my current build. Either the 6al or the 7al2. I've heard that the older MSD stuff is better than the newer stuff. I wouldn't know.

A healthy 331 can see north of 425hp. My turboed 331 would run mid to high 10s if set up for drag. My engine is supposed to be close to 425. Ported TW heads, Scat rotating assembly, ported Holley systemax, 75mm TB, Comp Cams xe282hr cam, 42lb injectors, MS PNP2...and On3 76mm turbo. With low boost trying to stay below 500hp...

The 6ALs seem rock solid. I know a few people that ran 6ALs for years on daily drivers with no problems. I would stay away from the rest of their stuff.

I'm not saying msd doesn't work, it does. It's just been my experience with many of there products that failures are common. That is all.

I would agree to disagree.
The other thing about the net,that has surprised me. All the proud under hood
pics,where the MSD box is guaranteed to get very heat soaked and or bombed
with water if driven in the rain. Everyone I know,mounts the box inside the car,
where it is cool/dry.

I would agree to disagree.
The other thing about the net,that has surprised me. All the proud under hood
pics,where the MSD box is guaranteed to get very heat soaked and or bombed
with water if driven in the rain. Everyone I know,mounts the box inside the car,
where it is cool/dry.
We have used a old school 6al in our racecar for years now, mounted to a plate with rubber isolators for vibration resistance. Works wonderfully.

In my street car I have had many fail mounted i n a similar manner under the dash/passenger foot well. The newer stuff IMHO just does not hold up like the old stuff.

If it were me I would use edis8 with a spark advance control module and ditch the distributor all together.

Reactions: 2 users
I was just going to say that during my 347 swap readings, the popular conclusion is that the stock ignition is strong until you start spinning to above 6700 rpms. Shed weight as much as you can, optimize your rear end gear and suspension, and practice getting your 60's dialed in.
Where else would you recommend shedding weight. I've lost the back seat spare tire and jack. still would like it to be comfortable enough to cruse on the weekend. I also have smog pump and AC deleted.