331 Supercharged...?

NewStangOwnr

Aug 10, 2006
Hey there all,

I found out the knocking noise is my rod, or something inside the motor..

Christmas is coming up and winter, so I have an excuse to do it then. I want to do a 331 and some form of forced induction. I would like to CnC the stock heads, new valve springs and rockers, and a new carb. Then the stroker and blower.

Any ideas to make the most power? I'm hoping for 500 or so? Achieveable?

Thanks for all the help!

• Sponsors (?)

for heads use one of these;

the world products windsor jr

the performer rpm

the afr 185's

these all have similar port sizes, and flow about the same amount of air, and have similar valve sizes. by the way the wp heads are also available in aluminum if that is important to you. they all have 58-60 cc chambers and with flattop pistons will deliver about 9.5:1 compression which is the most you want to run ont he street with a supercharger, and you want to keep the boost below 10psi, especially if you want to use 89 octane lighter fluid. i also highly recommend using a boost referenced timing retard system.

Point of reference -- I'm making 445rwhp, 427ft-lb rwt on a 306 with EFI and a Novi 1000 running about 9 psi. Assuming 15% drivetrain losses, that's over 520 at the flywheel.

That's on Holley Systemax heads. Previous advice is good - ditch the stock heads. There are lots of options available and it's a place to get good bang for the buck.

Just keep it 302 with a stock block and spend the money somewhere else ( like a good set of heads ). A stroker needs about a 15cc dish with 60cc to be close to 9-1.Flats top will put you close or well over 10-1 with 60cc heads, depending on the gaskets. 500 is pretty easy with boost.

I see what your saying. I want to be able to run low boost and then up the boost and dump in race fuel for the track or the weekend.

How much is achievable with stock 302 and a supercharger?

I see what your saying. I want to be able to run low boost and then up the boost and dump in race fuel for the track or the weekend.

How much is achievable with stock 302 and a supercharger?

Some go a while with 500 rwhp, some make 450fwhp and blow it. It really dependant on many things like how high you spin it, and most importantly the tune. A member here makes 477rwhp on pump gas, and tons of people make even more than that.

I thought there was a way to adapt 4 bolt mains, guess I read wrong. Hm.

Well. In that case...Uh...crap.

Will 4 bolt mains and a girdle make a big difference in the amount it can handle?