Progress Thread 331 Turbo Project - at shop for Paint & Interior

• Sponsors (?)

The Mystic was always so cool in the sun but if you ever have to get a panel repainted I’ve heard it’s impossible to match.

I’ve always loved the Sonic Blue on the Terminators.

1707566207006.jpeg

• Loved It!
Reactions: 1 user
Yep... That was my idea. With foxbodies, there's usually gonna be someone who's already done it. But, that one has the SN-95 interior and probably an 03 Cobra's 4.6
Was a full Mystichrome donor from way back , seats and all

Any way I posted because I’m a huge fan of the color so I’m all for it . Just not the price of material lol

Was a full Mystichrome donor from way back , seats and all

Any way I posted because I’m a huge fan of the color so I’m all for it . Just not the price of material lol
To your knowledge, is there a similar paint for a fraction of the price that has received positive reviews? I don't want the result to turn out poorly, but I guess everyone is winning the fight to persuade me that it's not worth it & will be difficult to fix when I get a ding.

To your knowledge, is there a similar paint for a fraction of the price that has received positive reviews? I don't want the result to turn out poorly, but I guess everyone is winning the fight to persuade me that it's not worth it & will be difficult to fix when I get a ding.
Cheaper paints do not have as many solids in them as quality paints, one reason why they are cheaper....
My painter crinkled his nose when I brought over some " cheaper ' paint to paint the bottom and engine compartment on my dodge.... There was more paint all over his shop than on the car when he was finished... The cheaper " lighter ' paints go everywhere.......
DSCF0790.JPG
DSCF0790.JPG

Yes... definitely want quality paint. I'm not really talking about 'cheap' paint... I'm talking about non-$10,000/Gal paint.
I think the gallon of red paint, gallon of clear, hardener and thinner was over 2K in early 2000 for the good paint on my car.... No wonder the owner of the paint store had a nice car collection.....

There is a color changing variant that is close to the Mystichrome blend for sure. Price I’m not sure of but here in the late 90s early 00s a lot of cars got done with some sort of flip flop paint like the Mystichrome . Just not in that shade

The sad thing is the paint on my F150 is the tri-white metallic and holy crap that is expensive but I also looked at a metallic white on the Z06 Vette and that cost per gallon made the F150 paint look affordable. When the EPA mandated all automotive paint be waterborne (I think this was back in 2010 or so) the cost to paint a car went through the roof. The requirements also make the use of down draft booths just about mandatory. Basically everything that body shops used to paint a car had to be updated and the "guidelines" ( I call them that as we all know letter agencies cannot make laws) just continue to get more stringent.

I had my T-Bird painted in 1998 and used high end everything and the guys did it on the side at a dealership (family owned and they allowed this back then) and ended up paying $3500. The guy that painted it then is still in the business and is going to paint my dad's 1969 Mustang and he is looking at a minimum of $7500 once the body panels have been worked and are ready for primer.

Doesn't solve your problem but you can thank a letter agency for making your paint jobs more expensive.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user