331 VS. 347 for daily driver

• Sponsors (?)

IN general the 331 because of the less agressive crank throw altho some aftermarket companies have made kits to off throw the goofy angles. With a 347 make sure that the wrist pin does not intersect the oil ring. If it does you will more than likely burn oil over time. You can also get gapless rings to offset this as well. This is a VERY broad topic however. I've built both a 331 and 347. I'll try and help you out as much as I can as well as the other fine folks her on SN.

Mike

I am looking at a 331...my question (not to hijack this thread) is do I go w/ a TFS stage 1 or 2 cam and which TFS intake. I will use the mods in my sig on this motor. It will never see the track...I just wnat to ensure I have enough power to beat those pesty little imports.

NOTE: I am geting 10:1 compression.

mustangsquared said:
I am looking at a 331...my question (not to hijack this thread) is do I go w/ a TFS stage 1 or 2 cam and which TFS intake. I will use the mods in my sig on this motor. It will never see the track...I just wnat to ensure I have enough power to beat those pesty little imports.

NOTE: I am geting 10:1 compression.
Depends on on if you want a smooth or irratic idle. I'd personally be looking for something around 108-110* LSA on the cam and .500 lift (which is probably what the stage II is). Also the intake depends on the heads and how fast your want to spin. The street heat intake will probably be best for you. Unless you want to bypass the revvlimiter and spin to 7000+ RPM.

mustangsquared said:
I have TFS twisted wedge heads...smoth to semi-smooth idel. I wnat to be a sleeper BUT have the RWHP to back it.

Then maybe the stage 1 is more up your alley. It's hard telling what you concider smooth and what you concider loud.

the 3 trick flows cams are:

the stage 1 is 499/510 112 LSA
Good idle, strong midrange power. Aftermarket intake, heads, and headers recommended. Requires modified mass airflow. Compression ratio: 9:1 to 10.5:1.

stage 2 is 542/563 112 LSA
Fair idle, good midrange power. 2,500 to 3,000 rpm stall converter or five-speed recommended. Compression ratio: 9.5:1 to 11:1.

stage 3 (which i have) is 574/595 110 LSA
Rough idle, strong top-end power. 3,000 to 3,500 rpm stall converter with 3.90 to 4.11 gears recommended. Compression ratio: 10:1 to 11.5:1.

personally I would decide between the 2 and 3 if you are thinking TFS. I think the one is gonna be too small for the 331. I went 3 but I dont know anyone with my setup or close to it, but I would like to feel the 2. A custom cam is in my future from ed curtis. like was said though, if you want smooth idle and dont want a custom cam (your best bet) then you should go stage 1 but you will be giving up a significant amount of power. you cant have it both ways. lol

also when looking at my sig. keep in mind that I am being limited by my ported cobra intake and my 65mm throttle body. also porting my heads would be good for a significant amount (not in the near future though). my tuner thinks that by merely swapping my intake and tb ill pick up about 25-30 more right off the bat. :bang: will it ever be enough???? :bang: not until I put on an adjustable wet kit!!! :flag:

if you are talking to me i got the chp 331 too. honestly though the street heat intake is going to be too small for the 331. call trick flow (330-630-1555) and ask their input. the street heat is similar to the regular cobra and gt40 intakes. the track heat is what you want IMO.

like i said the stage 2 is a pretty good choice.

mustangsquared said:
Houstonstangguy...I meant the track heat. Been a long day at work. Which CHP 331 did you get? I was thinking Street Fighter. Any ideas?

Are you a Marine?

yeah the track heat is a good choice. the kit i got was the street fighter. it is a good kit. i also got the girdle and I recommend you do too. my compression is 10.18:1 with the probe pistons. good kit though, you will be happy with it.

On a different note, I had to upgrade my springs for the extra lift. check on that from trick flow on your stage 2.

and yes I am a marine. I got out a few years ago. going to school and living on my GI Bill now. :flag:

mustangsquared said:
Who did you get the 331 from...Coast HP told me to get the TFS Stage 2 cam and the street heat intake...I just want to make sure I still have low-end tq.... I have feeling sluggish off the light (even when not racing)

I got my 347 kit from CHP as well. Actualy i bought it from the local machine shop and it had Probe pistons and Scat rods and crank so I assume it's there kit. Quality ****. For the 331 I just ground a stock 302 crank to 3.25".

mustangsquared said:
Houstonstangguy- Thanks for the info...it will help.

- I am also a jarhead...which explains my crappy location. :)

You are welcome. Glad to help.

I guess you dont like Lejeune huh? I was on a Hollywood Marine! lol I also did Okinawa my last year.

Anyway, let me know if you have anymore questions or if you just wanna shoot the ****.

Semper Fi Devil Dog :flag:

[email protected]
Joe

9 1/2 yrs out there huh? damn. how long have you been in now? if i would have stayed in i would have just hit 11 yrs last month. think about it everyday though.

you are with the air wing huh? cool. one of my buddies just got back from lejeune and said it was alright but after having been in cali, he said the east coast was alot different from the west coast. he said west coast marines are *******s! lol I thought we all were........hahahahaha