331, Which Intake?

Redryder95

Jun 17, 2005
I am upgrading to a 331 stroker and can't decide which Upper and Lower intake to go with. I like the looks of the GT40. Holley Systemax is a good intake but it is ugly. I know I shouldn't be that worried about looks because I need the best Intake for my application. BBK, Trick Flow, Edelbrock? I have out of the box Edelbrock Performer RPM heads on it right now, if that makes a difference in choosing which intake to go with. I would like low end torgue, also. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Edelbrock performer rpm II with a custom grind cam. You'll need good valve springs to go along with the custom cam. Whats the rest of the combo look like? Exhaust?

Grn92LX said:
Edelbrock performer rpm II with a custom grind cam. You'll need good valve springs to go along with the custom cam. Whats the rest of the combo look like? Exhaust?

331 Stroker Kit ($2950)
- 4340 Steel Crank
- Eagle H-Beam Rods
- File Fit Moly Rings
- H-Series Race Bearings
- Custom Forged Pistons (Ross, JE, Probe ect.)
- Block Prep Deck Height
- Boring and Final Hone
Ford Racing 30lb Injectors, Pro M 75MM Chrome Bullet Mass Air Meter, MSD 6AL Ignition Box w/ Blaster Coil, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Ford Racing 190-lph Fuel Pump, MAC Prochamber Long Tubes, MAC Tru Fit Catback . That is the jist of it.

If I had a bottom end like that I'd skip the BS and get a Victor 5.0 manifold and spin the **** out of it NASCAR style, nothing like the sound of a V8 screaming at high RPMs; low end torque is over-rated in my opinion unless you're driving a dually quad cab pick up

If you like the GT40, it can make excellent power on that engine combo, but the lower intake needs porting to make it work. A Performer with a ported lower would work well also. An RPM or RPMII would work also. Cam choice will help give good street engine driveability on the larger cross section intakes.

Redryder95 said:
331 Stroker Kit ($2950)
- 4340 Steel Crank
- Eagle H-Beam Rods
- File Fit Moly Rings
- H-Series Race Bearings
- Custom Forged Pistons (Ross, JE, Probe ect.)
- Block Prep Deck Height
- Boring and Final Hone

Did you buy all this yet? If not, I can save you a ton of cash ;) Talk to Rick 91GT @ www.rnhperformance.net You do not need a forged crank in a stock block. Its wasted money and its heavier. I'd do a 347 if you didn't buy the parts yet. Build more cubes for the same price. A 331 is cool too, I just want the most for my money. My 347 shortblock was a hell of a lot cheaper than the smaller 331 you listed.

Holley or rpm II manifold with a custom cam is what would be best for you.

as Viking mentioned, a recent issue of 5.0 magazine has an article where they compared intakes on a 347 w/AFR165 & Compcam258(I think). they compared stock vs trick flow street vs edlbrock (2 different ones) vs BBK's new intake vs GT40

stock - 342hp@4900 421tq@3500
gt-40 - 388hp@5200 437tq@3700
bbk ssi - 395hp@5400 427tq@4400
edel.perf.- 392hp@5300 425tq@3700
" " RPM - 396hp@5500 426tq@4300
trickflow - 382hp@5200 413tq@3800
street

the gt40 made the highest hp and tq lowend.190hp & 399tq@2500rpm. gt40 looked to be the best all around intake to me, but expensive. it also had the highest overall torque w/437@3700. depends on what rpm range you're looking for.

i've got a 331 stroker with an edelbrock victor efi on it...wish i would have put a bigger cam in...you won't get much power until 3000-3500, but when it kicks in LOOK OUT! if you look at the power charts for the edelbrock intakes, you'll notice that the victor may not turn on until later, but the horsepower line is much steeper and goes almost straight up thru 6600 rpm...its pretty sick!

-jeremy

I think it all depends on the application, are you staying n/a or going under boost. Is this a street car, or a strip car. If you were going to add boost i'd say the holley systemax 2 or a spyder intake. If your staying n/a id go with a rpm or rpm 2 or a victor since the stroker allready build torque down low you'll need so extra push up top