331 with afr 185 few questions

• Sponsors (?)

I would recomend the Trickflow stage 2 cam. Very streetable, lopey idle and tons of power w/ that combonation. We recently used this cam in a ranger swap v8 w/ Trickflow headed 347 and had great results! Good luck

you havent stated any goals. how can someone recommend a cam w/o knowing what weight your car is, your combination other than just heads and shortblock, and what kind of powerband, peak power rpm, desired shift point, and desired ET you want?

you havent stated any goals. how can someone recommend a cam w/o knowing what weight your car is, your combination other than just heads and shortblock, and what kind of powerband, peak power rpm, desired shift point, and desired ET you want?

Its backed by a t5 and and street car so nothing thats not gonna move out till 5k.Its a lx as stated in op.So if i tell you i want to run 9's you can tell me a cam that will get me there:rolleyes:?Basicly want a 12 sec car all motor and figured shouldnt be to hard with the 331 and 185 afrs.Wont me telling you i have stock 185afrs tell me where my engine can go to what rpms?Not what i want to take it to as the heads will be the limit of how high i rev it,as i have full arp hardware?

Its backed by a t5 and and street car so nothing thats not gonna move out till 5k.

ok

Its a lx as stated in op.

ok, ive had full weight hatches weigh 3400lb raceweight to coupes weighing 2800 in race trim.

So if i tell you i want to run 9's you can tell me a cam that will get me there:rolleyes:?

no smartguy, but its possible to make one run 10s on the motor w/ a 331 and those heads in a light car. and in a heavy car the same cam might be a pig.

Basicly want a 12 sec car all motor and figured shouldnt be to hard with the 331 and 185 afrs.

11s really shouldnt be a problem since i have these heads on a buddies stock shortblock 3200lb raceweight car running 11.50s.

Wont me telling you i have stock 185afrs tell me where my engine can go to what rpms?

no, because the basement target port velocity calculates out to be as low as 5200 rpm. so its kind of important to know where do you want to shift it.

Not what i want to take it to as the heads will be the limit of how high i rev it,as i have full arp hardware?

it also wouldnt hurt to know what valvesprings, lifters and rockers you are working with or if you have the budget to buy new stuff if needed. whether you are looking at only HR, or also willing to consider MR cams as well. it would also be helpful to know if you are comfortable degreeing the cam and checking PTV or do you want a quick install. the more information you supply the easier it will be to recommend something for you. i was ready to try to give you some very specific advice, but since you seem to just want someone to say "an f cam works good in my car" or whatever, ill let others handle it. have fun. :nice:

ok

ok, ive had full weight hatches weigh 3400lb raceweight to coupes weighing 2800 in race trim.

no smartguy, but its possible to make one run 10s on the motor w/ a 331 and those heads in a light car. and in a heavy car the same cam might be a pig.

11s really shouldnt be a problem since i have these heads on a buddies stock shortblock 3200lb raceweight car running 11.50s.

no, because the basement target port velocity calculates out to be as low as 5200 rpm. so its kind of important to know where do you want to shift it.

it also wouldnt hurt to know what valvesprings, lifters and rockers you are working with or if you have the budget to buy new stuff if needed. whether you are looking at only HR, or also willing to consider MR cams as well. it would also be helpful to know if you are comfortable degreeing the cam and checking PTV or do you want a quick install. the more information you supply the easier it will be to recommend something for you. i was ready to try to give you some very specific advice, but since you seem to just want someone to say "an f cam works good in my car" or whatever, ill let others handle it. have fun. :nice:

Even i know a f cam would blow,there 1.6 ratio rockers.Basicly a throw in cam.

we're talking about a 331 w/ 185 afrs, it's not a twin turbo all aluminum motor in a race car. Off the shelf, the trick flow cams perform.

PS, Clement, we've been 10's w/ afr165's on a stock short block

we're talking about a 331 w/ 185 afrs, it's not a twin turbo all aluminum motor in a race car. Off the shelf, the trick flow cams perform.

PS, Clement, we've been 10's w/ afr165's on a stock short block

I agree. the TFS cam will more than meet his goal. the smallest head ive run 10s with in my car was a set of OOTB GT40 irons. but theres a big difference between what a head will do with a poweradder and what one will do naturally aspirated. if you ran a stock shortblock, AFR 165 into the 10s on motor you are about .8 quicker than the fastest guy I know of running those heads stock shortblock N/A. so was that normally aspirated or with a power adder?

the absolute fastest stock shortblock normally aspirated deal i have seen is a 2800lb raceweight gt, with a systemax intake, a lot of pms tuning, OOTB 170cc TFS TWs (which have a little larger minimum cross section than the afr 185) and an AFM N4 cam. it runs 6.90s@98 in the 1/8 mile.