347 Build Non Block/chi Costs

All over the place? Back to my first post I wanted to know what parts other than block and HCI would be needed for a build and how much I might have to pay to have a motor built and put in my car. Nothing about what suspension would cost, only what you would upgrade. Nothing about making 500 hp. I can't make a budget without figuring in what labor might cost. It's the beginning of a plan, so I'm not worried about technical parts and all the manufacturers. Any clearer?
Rule of thumb I use is take the price of all your parts and expect labor costs to cost anywhere from 1/3-1/2 the total.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds fair.
What I currently have: 70mm tb (from other threads I've heard this flows enough) haven't checked what my MAF is.
Mishimoto radiator
130 amp 3G upgrade
Electric fan and control pack
Haven't looked if there is subframe connectors and don't think the rear end has been messed with. Just lowering springs I think.

What I was planning on using:
Fordstrokers 347 fox bottom end built liberator- $3500
Trick flow 190 heads (also on fordstroker)- $2000
Custom cam (don't know anything about them) -~$300
Trickflow r series intake- $700
24# injectors no specific brand in mind
Probably better fuel rail?
Other than that I don't know about exhaust, trans, clutch flywheel, water pump?? etc. that's what I'm tring to figure out, how much this stuff I don't know about will cost.

Current condition is I'm about to do a gasket change. It's leaking from head bolts, timing cover and intake. Runs good other than that. Trans probably needs to be replaced as going into 2nd isn't smooth and gotta fight it to get into reverse sometimes.

A5literman, thanks for the ball park figure. Whew, so a ten k motor figure 3-5k in labor? How much does an exhaust headers to mufflers normally run to put in figuring name brand?

Last edited:
[quote="Noobz347,
If you put together a GREAT and STREETABLE 350+ HP, I guarantee you that it will be enough to make you, and anyone riding with you, poop their shorts with the right suspension.[/quote]
350! That's the number haha. Is that flywheel? And poopy shorts is what I'm looking for wo putting an inexperienced driver like myself at risk :) thus why I don't want 500hp. So what is "GREAT and STREETABLE"?

Are turn key and crate the same thing? I figured when you have a motor built it was drop it in wire it and fire it up no?
A crate engine can be a few different applications, as they tend to come in a crate. A turn key is normally ready to go besides exhaust maybe a few other parts. Short block = Block and Internals, Long block = Block, internals, cam, heads, intake, water pump, possibly oil pan & carb.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds fair.
What I currently have: 70mm tb (from other threads I've heard this flows enough) haven't checked what my MAF is.
Mishimoto radiator
130 amp 3G upgrade
Electric fan and control pack
Haven't looked if there is subframe connectors and don't think the rear end has been messed with. Just lowering springs I think.

What I was planning on using:
Fordstrokers 347 fox bottom end built liberator- $3500
Trick flow 190 heads (also on fordstroker)- $2000
Custom cam (don't know anything about them) -~$300
Trickflow r series intake- $700
24# injectors no specific brand in mind
Probably better fuel rail?
Other than that I don't know about exhaust, trans, clutch flywheel, water pump?? etc. that's what I'm tring to figure out, how much this stuff I don't know about will cost.

Current condition is I'm about to do a gasket change. It's leaking from head bolts, timing cover and intake. Runs good other than that. Trans probably needs to be replaced as going into 2nd isn't smooth and gotta fight it to get into reverse sometimes.

A5literman, thanks for the ball park figure. Whew, so a ten k motor figure 3-5k in labor? How much does an exhaust headers to mufflers normally run to put in figuring name brand?
It won't take that much for just installation alone. I would guess ballpark 1k. Another 500-1k for tuning and misc fine tuning. And there are costs that you might not be thinking about or just in general forget to add into the budget. So 1.5-2.5k for labor is very possible. Depends on the shop etc. try locating a shop/mechanic that's local and talk to them. Get some estimates for what you plan to do after you have fine tuned your plan. For another example the first time I blew up a t5 I had a local mechanic(who worked for the ford dealership) rebuild it in his garage. Parts were about 400$ and he charged me 250$ for labor(I helped removing/installing the trans)

Reactions: 1 user
It won't take that much for just installation alone. I would guess ballpark 1k. Another 500-1k for tuning and misc fine tuning. And there are costs that you might not be thinking about or just in general forget to add into the budget. So 1.5-2.5k for labor is very possible. Depends on the shop etc. try locating a shop/mechanic that's local and talk to them. Get some estimates for what you plan to do after you have fine tuned your plan. For another example the first time I blew up a t5 I had a local mechanic(who worked for the ford dealership) rebuild it in his garage. Parts were about 400$ and he charged me 250$ for labor(I helped removing/installing the trans)
That sounds more manageable. A shop in town I had check out the leaks said he had a 5.0 for sale and sounded like it had a bunch of hp so he should know what he's doin. Fair priced and BBB accredited. I'll check around to see who's best. And I'll check out some long blocks. That short block I was looking at from fordstrokers is $2500 and complete bottom end for foxbody (oil pan and whatnot) for another 1k. But I think I'll heed caution and find something with 300-325 hp and start building my new motor after that. Thanks again for all the input. Hopefully this thread will end someone else's search haha.

That sounds more manageable. A shop in town I had check out the leaks said he had a 5.0 for sale and sounded like it had a bunch of hp so he should know what he's doin. Fair priced and BBB accredited. I'll check around to see who's best. And I'll check out some long blocks. That short block I was looking at from fordstrokers is $2500 and complete bottom end for foxbody (oil pan and whatnot) for another 1k. But I think I'll heed caution and find something with 300-325 hp and start building my new motor after that. Thanks again for all the input. Hopefully this thread will end someone else's search haha.

Don't know if he us around you but Rick Andersonknows his stuff and builds wicked cars. I would consult him on your build before you start spending money. He can do everything from building the motor, to dyno tuning.

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/