347 build on a D4DE block - Thoughts and Advice

bnero42

Jan 15, 2020
New Hampshire
All,

I know this has been beaten to death on the inter-webs and I have consumed mass quantities of said subject on said webs and have decided that I am going to build a 347 out of my old 302.

I wanted to start this thread for advice and things to watch out for while I am setting up to check the "Build a stroker motor by hand" check box.

I pulled the block out of a non numbers 6cyl converted to 8 cyl - '65 fastback I picked up a few years ago and am now rebuilding - was told it was a 67 -289 and was gonna sell it - but now with a 302 block - the 347 is in reach and what I plan to build. I am not looking to set records but I am looking to get well into the 400Hp mark.

At this point the plan...
  1. Eval engine block (magna flux) (other tests?)
  2. Bore block (machine shop identified - reliable verifiable work)
  3. AD Performance 347 kit
  4. There is a current aftermarket cam that I need to identify once I get it out of the block or source new CC262 or like?
  5. Cylinder Heads - Currently have iron heads from tear down - Looking for new aluminum heads - Gt40 vs X heads vs Trick Flow etc....?
Again - Purpose of this engine is going to be hard street use maybe a couple of drag runs a year. Going into a frame up Resto mod....

I have pics to post later - but wanted to put this up here so I can get thoughts from my fellow gear-heads and broaden my research to include direct input from motivated peers.

Cheers!
Ben

PS- That is a 70's Shelby lower intake manifold under the Holley 650.... Gotta look into that too :D SFJD-9425F...

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Sponsors(?)

LILCBRA

I started this morning by knocking out some studs
10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
I think you'd get more exposure and probably more responses if you were in a different area of the site, maybe one of the mods can move this to somewhere more appropriate? @74stang2togo @Noobz347 @General karthief

But, FWIW, I think you have a pretty solid plan. Get that cam ID'd first so you know what you have then I'm sure people can make some suggestions. As for aluminum heads..... I was going to check on this ad I come across the other day, but I think if I'm being realistic I should skip it as I have too many irons in the fire. These should do you well as long as you can work around the exhaust ports being raised.

bnero42

Jan 15, 2020
New Hampshire
I think you'd get more exposure and probably more responses if you were in a different area of the site, maybe one of the mods can move this to somewhere more appropriate? @74stang2togo @Noobz347 @General karthief

But, FWIW, I think you have a pretty solid plan. Get that cam ID'd first so you know what you have then I'm sure people can make some suggestions. As for aluminum heads..... I was going to check on this ad I come across the other day, but I think if I'm being realistic I should skip it as I have too many irons in the fire. These should do you well as long as you can work around the exhaust ports being raised.

Thank much you for the input and thoughts . I will check those out! Right now having the distinct pleasure of trying to remove lifters that seriously do not want to slide out. As soon as I can get the damn cam out - off to the shop for ID :)

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com

I’m thinking moving it to the classic section. He stated he has a 65 FB. Those guys do build strokers out of 302’s down there as well. Especially considering that it’s a non-roller block.