347 + Kenne Bell = stock block?

NicD

Mar 4, 2004
Me and my 90GT are in Cali and need to stay emissions legal, so I'm looking at CHP's 347e stroker short block with Probe cam (0.510/0.534, 222/223) to go with my:

AFR 185's
GT40 lower intake
70mm throttle body
80mm MAF
Moroso fender well intake
42lb injectors, etc. &
Kenne Bell 1.5L @ 8lbs of boost

My question is, can the stock block that CHP uses hold the hp and torque that combo would make? I've read the block can handle up to about 550hp, i'm expecting my combo to be high 300's/low 400's na, and i'm not quite sure how much the KB will increase it...

Would i need to be thinking about running 12 or 14lbs of boost to really consider a Dart or r block? How fine of a line am i walking? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

• Sponsors (?)

Daggar said:
347 + KB = Easily the potential to send that block to the boneyard.

Hey Daggar...I was hoping you'd chime in...You seem to be the resident authority on KB's here at Stangnet...

I already have the parts listed above, none installed...I didn't want to have them dropped into my daily driver only to blow the bottom end and be stuck paying for a rental...I certainly don't want to buy a short block and have the same thing happen...

What short block might you suggest to compliment my bolt ons and hold the power? Would a 2-bolt 302 that's not stroked hold it? Or is it 4 bolt only at this point?

not to steal anything here, but i thought the 1.5L KB was only able to run to 9psi with different pulleys, and your wanting to run 12-14?

i agree with Daggar though...too much hp will make it go bye bye

txstang84 said:
not to steal anything here, but i thought the 1.5L KB was only able to run to 9psi with different pulleys, and your wanting to run 12-14?

I actually opted for the 8psi pulley, but KB boost ratings are considered with a stock TB and MAF...By increasing air flow, you also increase boost...At least that's my understanding - though i've never had it bolted on and guaged before...Maybe Daggar can chime in on that as well...

txstang84 said:

And it's not that i'm trying to run 12-14psi, i'm trying to figure out how close the a stock blocks capacity i would be at with 8psi on my combo....

txstang84 said:
gotcha-sounds good to me...also where are you located? if your at higher elevations, that will definitely play into how much boost you can achieve with a given combo

I'm in LA...Gotta stay smog legal in process which sucks...

NicD said:
I'm in LA...Gotta stay smog legal in process which sucks...

that eats a$$...hey, is there any truth to what I've heard about getting caught street racing there? something about taking your car straight to the crusher without reprieve or option to remove anything from it...?

txstang84 said:
that eats a$$...hey, is there any truth to what I've heard about getting caught street racing there? something about taking your car straight to the crusher without reprieve or option to remove anything from it...?

You know, I'm not sure - it's never happened to anyone in my click, though we're probably not who it was intended for...I've heard about it too but i'm pretty sure that's an attempt to cut down on the back-alley rice burners who gather at the 'street races' spots and act up...

We're more of the light to light type...Se what we can find on the way home from a movie or on our way to Hollywood...Or when a camaro pulls up next to us in the low-lane knowing there's a parked car a couple hundred feet ahead...

So can anybody give me other viable options to the 347 with the KB? Would a 331 be able to hold the hp it would create with the KB? What about 6psi vs. 8psi on the KB on the 331 or 347?

An empty DART block sells for almost as much as the CHP 347 short block and is rated above 1000hp...I know you get what you pay for, but it almost seems overkill for a daily driver...Is there anything in the middle that i can opt for?

to my understanding, whether it's a 331 or a 347, once you start exceeding 450+ hp, it's knock knock knockin on the junkyards door...if you plan on making more than that (which is good for 11's if you can get it to the ground) then you should probably think about getting either an R block or go dart...

btw the R block is good to 1000hp too, and it's available from jegs for $1700 plus $89 freight...and the dart blocks are available from ADPerformance for $1900 to your door.

if you don't have the dough to slap down on the 4 bolt variety, then all i can tell you is prep prep prep, tune tune tune...making that engine perfect from the build up will increase it's ability to survive the hp level your seeking without turning it into a boat anchor...

NicD said:
You know, I'm not sure - it's never happened to anyone in my click, though we're probably not who it was intended for...I've heard about it too but i'm pretty sure that's an attempt to cut down on the back-alley rice burners who gather at the 'street races' spots and act up...

We're more of the light to light type...Se what we can find on the way home from a movie or on our way to Hollywood...Or when a camaro pulls up next to us in the low-lane knowing there's a parked car a couple hundred feet ahead...

point well taken....but even if it's only a ricer, anyone who spends money on their car is probably gonna break down in tears, or go completely insane to know their car is irrevocably meeting it's demise...ouch

Never mind... I see now where it says you have the 1.5L. I'd be a little concerned about that small of a blower over the top of good breathing 347. There's no way in hell you're going to see 8lbs of boost out of that blower on a 347. It just doesn't displace enough air. Depending on how aggressive your engine combo is, you may even find yourself in a place where the blower doesn't provide enough air to feed the larger displacement motor (it's been done before). On a nice cool day with that pulley on a good 347, I'd be suprised if you got 5 psi out of it. The real problems come in when and if you discover that at idle, the blower is not putting out enough air (spinning at 8 or 9 hundred RPM) to keep the motor fed. You may end up getting a smaller pulley yet just ot keep the engine happy. Of course, the faster you spin that blower the more heat it generates. That can become a problem as well.

Daggar said:
Never mind... I see now where it says you have the 1.5L. I'd be a little concerned about that small of a blower over the top of good breathing 347.

Ahhh...Good point...I'd never considered that before...Make perfect sense though...

So i guess my options are to

(a) build a 302/306, which shouldn't have the same problem getting fed by the smaller blower or

(b) Would i experience the same problem with a 331 that i would the 347?

(c) sell the 1.5L, get the Blowzilla and continue my pursuit of the 347.

The 302 vs. 347 should be about -40hp if I'm not mistaken, so that's not a huge loss i guess, especially for a daily driver that still stands to be well into the 400hp range...And my heads and other bolt ons would still work...

Either way I'd be better served to build a Dart block vs a stock 2 bolt right?

Also, any references for a relatively cheap Dart or R short block?

NicD said:
Also, any references for a relatively cheap Dart or R short block?

You need to remeber that when you get an aftermarked block its goning to need to be machined, the R block needs much more machining than the Dart block, i had my dart block machined for around 400 bucks with freeze plugs and all

strokedandblown said:
You need to remeber that when you get an aftermarked block its goning to need to be machined, the R block needs much more machining than the Dart block, i had my dart block machined for around 400 bucks with freeze plugs and all

This is in fact one of the reasons i'm looking for a short block...

So what motor would be ideal to compliment the 1.5L KB? Could I do a 331?

NicD said:
This is in fact one of the reasons i'm looking for a short block...

So what motor would be ideal to compliment the 1.5L KB? Could I do a 331?

yeah no prob, but if your gonna spend the dough on the 4 bolt main block be it (dart, world, a4, R, etc.) go for the 2.2l KBB. the drivability will be the same, its all up to the tune, i would recomend a tweeker or sct chip something that can be changed when you add or delete things, because you will.