347 oil consumption or pressure problems

Im starting to have problems with the oil. My mods are listed below. I have a 347 long rod from CHP (5.4). I connected the pcv to the manifold and bought a breather cap. I put in 10W40 but with be going to 5W30 now. The problem is, is that I am still having alot of blow by or what have you coming out of the breather cap. There is oil reidue on my plug wires and the breather cap is full of oil. I know that a long rod has oil cunsumption issues but that burning oil not pressurs likr this. I runs well and my friends say to have two breathers and or an catch bottle. I just havent heard of this type of problem. Also the gauge (stocker) is at times almost all the way pegged or in the middle or inbetween. Its very weird. I pulled off the heads to check the gaskets, there fine.

Help?

• Sponsors (?)

If you run a breather on the valve cover you must run a breather where the pcv valve is and cap off the line to the upper intake. The way you're running now is probably the cause of your idle problems due to the unmonitored air. Basically, right now your car has a major vacuum leak...

Do you run baffles in the valve covers? Running a HV pump makes it worse also because they pump so much oil to the top. It can be a hard thing to get under control. I made special baffles for my valve covers that come up close to the breather when installed so you have less splashing inside the breather. Served the purpose for a while, just got an occasional drip from them. This year I switched to a header evac system. Works great. No more problems. I agree with Blandnuts also - disconnect the pvc and plug it off. You're probably pulling straight oil through it anyway. Run the crankcase open and make provisions to stop the oil splashing or get an evac system. Note also I've seen baffled grommets made by Mr Gasket but they seem too restrictive to me. If you're running an open crankcase you don't want to restrict the flow out of the breathers very much.

I had the pcv connected to little breather and capped off the vac fitting on the intake. I had the idle probs at that time also. I thought to lowwer the crank case pressure Id reconnect the pcv to the intake. I thought that appling a vacume source to the pcv would possibly drop it down. I checked for vacume leaks and have none, all fittings are plugged. What is a header vac system?

Header evac consists of two 45 degree pcs of threaded pipe basically that you weld into the header collectors. They have one way check valves that you install inline and they connect to special valve cover breathers that have a hose connection. The exhaust gases rushing by the collector inserts draws a vacuum at the breathers. You'd be surprised how much they pull. With the engine idling, if you pull out a breather you can feel the suction on the breather. I'm sure at high rpms it really draws. Impressive system especially when you look at the cost. It's cheap.