351 help

SMOKEDYA

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 13, 2003
Tucson AZ
Hey i'm putting in a 74 351W in my 93 coupe, what good stock EFI intake is there out there that i could get from a junk yard what did they come on? also would the EFI dizzy of that vehicale work as well with a 93's A9L computer? peace

john:p

• Sponsors (?)

You will NEED a 351w dist. as the diameter of the oil pump driveshaft is larger on the 351w... the 351w shaft won't fit in the 302 dist...

You *could* use any truck upper and lower intake system. Just know that they are restrictive, and will limit the power you can make.
A better intake would be the GT40 style, but you will only find them on the Lightnings...
There aren't many j/y options for this...

how far along are you?

jason

I knew about the dizzy not working thats why i asked about the junk yard option? I do have a line on a new MSD dizzy for $175 with 10 hours on it. I need fly wheel,intake, and maybe headers. i have everything else. What years of lighting's came with these intakes? peace

any first gen lightning will have that lower. U can get a dizzy from any fi vehicle with a 351. Just make sure it has the tfi module on it. u can also go guy refurbished ones at ur local parts stort. same for buying new ballancer and flywheel. unless ur planning on turning a lot of rpms, then stock replacement stuff should be more than enough.

any first gen lightning will have that lower. U can get a dizzy from any fi vehicle with a 351. Just make sure it has the tfi module on it. u can also go guy refurbished ones at ur local parts stort. same for buying new ballancer and flywheel. unless ur planning on turning a lot of rpms, then stock replacement stuff should be more than enough.

The only option on that is the 1989 ford f150 w/ 351 it is part -#D7TZ-12127-D
I dont know why buy all up to 88 had different part numbers and used a diff part # TFI module and the ones form 1990 on had seperated TFI's

This might help you some

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=687004

The only option on that is the 1989 ford f150 w/ 351 it is part -#D7TZ-12127-D
I dont know why buy all up to 88 had different part numbers and used a diff part # TFI module and the ones form 1990 on had seperated TFI's

This might help you some

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=687004

so this intake off the F150 is a good non restrictive intake for a 351? like a cobra or gt40 for the 302? i have GT40P ported polished heads and the block is 40 over now. so would this intake be ok for now till i get the edelbrock or trick flow R? peace

Any stock 351w intake is going to limit power on a 351w... a gt40 set would be better...

Personally, I wouldn't use one.

But,
If you are on a tight budget they would allow you to get the car running. You can always upgrade later :nice:

you can use a E150 van lower and mustang upper porting to match the gasket is not hard. i would also use the mass air off a 1994 or 1995 mustang. A low cost part at any parts store. Use any mass air as a core they will never know the difference.

you can use a E150 van lower and mustang upper porting to match the gasket is not hard. i would also use the mass air off a 1994 or 1995 mustang. A low cost part at any parts store. Use any mass air as a core they will never know the difference.

I have a acufab 70 MM T.B now,it's better then a stock 94-95 one. So i could get the E150 van lower 351w intake and port it then bolt my GT40 one to it off my 5.0? What year of van do i need to look for? peace

Any stock 351w intake is going to limit power on a 351w... a gt40 set would be better...

Personally, I wouldn't use one.

But,
If you are on a tight budget they would allow you to get the car running. You can always upgrade later :nice:

kinda a tight budget but i mostly just want it in the car. i have 2 years to get it in. but then i dont want to spend tons on crap and then again on the good stuff. parts actually arent bad just the intake is like 7 bills. peace

john

So you're saying that the lower intake off of a E150 with a 5.8 will mate up with a mustang upper intake?
I have a 93' wheelin truck with a 351 that really needs to be converted to mass air and I really hate the cobbled mess that you have to have using the stock intake.

throw a carb on there and be done with it IMO.. as for flywheel you wont find one from ford it has to be 28oz imbalance and 157 tooth. I searched for hours and check every parts store, the best and cheapest place i found was ebay, for about 100.00 buy it now it's a new billet steel unit with 28oz and 157 teeth, perfect machining and SFI 1.1 i believe, i wouldent hesitate to buy another. You'll also need headers for the 351w swap, i went with BBK the fitment was great(i have lowered solid engine mounts so i had to make the dent bigger to clear the steering shaft), but now that the engine is out i'm going to have the headers ceramic coated locally. Also if you need a power steering pump mount PM me, i have a billet march setup for the 351w that i wont be using since i'm going with manual steering

I can tell u that bbk headers are turning into junk. I have convertable mounts, i still hit the steering shaft. I had to spend about 3 hours grinding on them to clean up the welds inside the flanges. They were nasty. Not to mention that I have already had to re tap and thread the studs and the lower flange b/c both stripped out the first time. And no, they were not cross threaded, actually had the threads break.......

So with that said, go junkyard shopping for efi parts or go the cheap route and throw a carb and nice eddy lower on it. I wish I would of after buying all new efi parts.

Yep....

Using a truck lower with the stock 5.0HO upper always comes up in these threads.

Funny though... Not one person has been able to step up and SHOW that it works...

Probably because it CAN'T work....

jason

If you're on a budget, you can still find a nice 351W EFI intake for $450 or cheaper around here. I bought my TFS R for that and now there's a Victor 5.8 on here for $400 i believe. That would be too big for your setup i think, but my point is that if you just wait and surf all the stang sites, you can find one.

i know a guy with a couple lightning motors sitting around. he does 79-up mustang work in a shop out in Oklahoma, PM me if you want his email.

i also have a 5.8 victor jr ceramic coated if you decide to go carb! good luck with the build, i'm currently collecting parts as well for my 351W stroker. I picked up a 28oz 157 tooth flywheel for $75 shipped on here and just bought MAC ceramic headers new for $440. you can find deals, but it takes patience, expecially for 351 EFI parts.