351 HO Van, is it worth it?

admaster99

Founding Member
Jul 5, 2002
Iowa
Hey all haven't visited the messageboard for awhile, after messing up my stang. But I just shipped her out last Friday to get cleaned up for paint. Right now its going to just get the body work done and primer, and then eventually a paint job. Anyways so the car is going to get fixed up nice and look good so I want it to have some power to. I work with a guy who has a 84' van with a 351 HO motor which is a cleveland I think. Well I was wondering is it possible to fit that into my stang with little or no work. Also maybe most of the drivetrain to its got an automatic autolite tranny I believe. The engine is rated at about 210hp and 310 torque you think my stang could handle it. He wants $700 for the whole van is it worth it? I have a 77' hatch cobra II thanks

• Sponsors (?)

First, Clevland's were not made past 74 I believe. Also they were never installed in a truck or van of any kind from the factory. What you would have is a run of the mill 84 351W HO motor. Not all that uncommon but not falling out of tree everywhere. The only difference I know of with the 80's vintage 351W HO is the cast iron 4bbl intake and holley emmisions carb. Niether of which are performace pieces. The 351HO heads are nothing special. The trans I'm not sure about what it is, but it proably won't fit the II tunnel very well. Ther 351 swap is not as much fun as it sounds there is a bunch of work required to make it "work" correctly. You'd be much better off putting a late model 5.0 HO motor in it with less headaches to boot.

Good luck on what ever you decide,
Tim